Supercommuter?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Supercommuter?

Postby Brucey » 22 May 2019, 11:46am

bike lives in a covered bike park at work and in a garage overnight. This is mainly OK but in some winters there is more road salt than rain, and corrosion is a real problem; the bike basically doesn't gets cleaned (more than once or twice a year) and this caused the previous commuting frame to suffer severe corrosion. You know how steel frames normally have a chainstay brace? Well the old commuting frame didn't any more, that is how bad it got.... :shock:

As I mentioned upthread the chrome plated parts on the bike (track nuts, headset etc) are suffering with superficial corrosion. The headset is remarkable; it is still perfectly smooth (it hasn't needed adjustment either since I rebuilt it with loose balls and SBX grease when I built the bike) yet the outside is very rusty in places. The conclusion is that waxoyl sticks well enough to zinc plated surfaces to do some good but on chrome plate it comes off too easily. The track nuts were badly plated and started going rusty in the first winter; they would have needed waxoyl every couple of months to stay good I reckon.

As far as an updated running report goes, nothing much to tell really; still just chewing its way through chains/freewheels/tyres/mudguard rivets...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 22 May 2019, 5:56pm

I've been eyeing up some stainless track nuts, either these ones from zenith

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/z ... nt-or-rear

Or some of the Chinese ones listed on eBay and Amazon although the reviews suggest the threads may be too far out to engage the axle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharplace-Stai ... B077PK7Z4J

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 29 Sep 2019, 3:10pm

Three years and a couple of months ago I built this having read Bruceys post and having seen a very nice Dave Yates bike featuring 1 x 11 gearing and 26 inch wheels
20190929_135411.jpg

Not much has changed, the front brake works as well as it has ever done, the brake brake has become stronger as the shoes wear in, the headlight has changed from a bulb to l.e.d and the front chainrings dropped from 38 to 34 teeth, just so I can get a week's worth of shopping up the hill where I live.
What has been an eye opener is the lack of attention that I now need to give the brakes.... with my old rim brakes i had to measure the thickness of the wheel rim once a year, clean the black muck of the wheel rims every season and occasionally fit new brake blocks. Throughout the whole three years I've been riding this bike I've only had to adjust the front cable once and the rear twice. Amazing :-)

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Sep 2019, 5:42pm

update;

my chum's supercommuter bike is just about due for another chain and freewheel, so other parts are being changed as required too. On the shortlist are

- stainless steel track nuts (the old ones were very rusty but otherwise OK)
- change from a 44T aluminium chainring to a 48T steel chainring (so 48/18 becomes the 'normal' gear)
- outrigger bearing on the rear SA hub brake (the axles eventually break otherwise)
- stainless steel reaction clip for the rear brake (the old one has gone rusty)

Alex's link indeed provided M9x1 Stainless track nuts and the threads don't reach in far enough to make for good installation with a front SA hub brake. These track nuts will be modified to suit. At the rear the stainless steel ones are OK anyway, because more of the axle sticks out.

Otherwise not much to report, apart from a similar lack of drama concerning the brakes...

cheers

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Dec 2019, 9:23am

Update; The stainless track nuts have been modified and fitted; they were shortened by just less than 3mm, by knocking the collars off, reprepping the now-exposed shouldered end, and then refitting the collars. I have a lathe, but as much to show it doesn't require lots of tools to do this kind of work, I used an angle grinder to do the modification. The nuts were mounted on a spare front hub, set up so that the axle would spin freely whilst being ground to size.

However some actual maintenance has been required on the front brake. My chum reported that the front brake was noisy and didn't feel quite normal. The shoes were not badly worn or glazed, but were cleaned with degreaser and new 'lead-ins' (chamfers) were filed on the ends of the linings. I guess the linings are between 1/4 and 1/3rd worn now. However there was a fault which I had not seen before which was that one of the little steel 'boots' that protect the ends of the brake shoes where they bear against the cam had become dislodged; it was still on the shoe, just not in the right place any more. The cam was bone-dry too. I suspect that the bone dry cam had perhaps dragged the 'boot' out of position.

Anyway the 'boot' was simply pushed back into place, a tiny smear of lube on the cam, and the brake was back in action. It took all of ten minutes to do. The brakes are seven years old now and the rear has had nothing done to it and the front has not been apart for over six years, when the semi-floating brake plate was implemented (july 2013). When that was done, I don't think we touched the brake shoes.... should have greased the cam maybe.... :roll:

So not 100% maintenance free, quite, but not far off either; an occasional cable adjustment and ten minute's maintenance once every seven years isn't too bad....? At the current rate of wear (and it isn't hilly where the bike is used admittedly) the projected life of the brake linings is over 50000 miles or about twenty years..... :shock:

cheers

mig

Postby mig » 4 Dec 2019, 11:35pm

i feel that there really needs to be a fixed version of the super commuter. pompino type frame, big clearances, simple hubs, great lights.

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 5 Dec 2019, 7:07am

I was running a fixed genesis day one for commuting until last week.

Dynamo lights. Nearly all bolts replaced with stainless. Some attempts at sealing it up. Waxed drive train. Xt rear hub with a bolt on sprocket filled with some semi fluid grease.

Gone to be replaced by a Surly cross check because I was underwhelmed by the mechanical discs and the stiff fork. Also likely to be fixed with most parts transferred across. Possibly using a front hub in the rear with the bolt on sprocket this time.

IMG_20190813_091326.jpg

ElCani

Postby ElCani » 5 Dec 2019, 3:27pm

alexnharvey wrote:I was running a fixed genesis day one for commuting until last week.

Dynamo lights. Nearly all bolts replaced with stainless. Some attempts at sealing it up. Waxed drive train. Xt rear hub with a bolt on sprocket filled with some semi fluid grease.

Gone to be replaced by a Surly cross check because I was underwhelmed by the mechanical discs and the stiff fork. Also likely to be fixed with most parts transferred across. Possibly using a front hub in the rear with the bolt on sprocket this time.

My Supercommuter is also a Day One (with an IGH) and I also have a Surly Cross Check, set up as gravel bike. The Day One fork does feel pretty unyielding in comparison to the Surly's - although I have never had them set up with similar tyres at the same time, so have no truly meaningful back-to-back comparison.

As it happens I'm after a 52cm Day One frame for my partner, so I've PM'ed you on the off chance yours is that size... :D