chain lube - wet or dry?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikepacker

Re: chain lube - wet or dry?

Postby bikepacker » 12 Dec 2012, 3:39pm

I just use oil all year round, it has seemed to work okay for the last 65 years, don't see any reason to change.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Dec 2012, 3:53pm

Worked ok for me too. Not for 65 years though, as I'm only 60 now! :D

Oil is fine. It does what it says on the tin. The thing is, technology moves on, and oil is a bit old hat now, and would state with confidence that there is no oil anywhere on my bike. (except for the oils in the greases of course).

I used oil for more years than I can remember, but when I was commuting and trying to save every penny, I found that oil wasn't any good for chain and sprocket longevity. I read stuff in mags, and found that there was a whole world out there of different products. My fave for many years was LPS3. I keep meaning to buy another tin of it. In the old days, it was aimed at cyclists for chain lubrication ........ and came in smaller units. I used to buy it from the Freewheel catalogue.
http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/corro ... /LPS3.html
The stuff goes on thinly but dries to a thick non-sticky brown wax after about an hour. Worked a treat on my Sedisport chains.
Mick F. Cornwall

Valbrona

Postby Valbrona » 12 Dec 2012, 4:30pm

Dry lubes are for people who don't like cleaning chains/sprockest. Wet lubes are for people who want to lubricate their chain.
I should coco.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Dec 2012, 5:05pm

Mick F wrote:R2.
I've not tried TF2 yet. If you remember, I tried Prolink Gold earlier this year(?) and wasn't really impressed. I'll give TF2 a try next time I order stuff, and I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Mick
Don't bother it'll dirty you're hands and make your cogs and chain black :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » 13 Dec 2012, 12:47pm

Why am I not getting a rusty/squeaky chain using a dry wax lube in the winter? I even rode all through this sodden summer without having to apply it more than once a week, never saw a spot of rust and it never once squeaked :?

One down side with wax lubes at this time of year is that even if you warm the lube up it can solidify the instant it hits a freezing cold chain that's been in the shed all night, which makes me wonder whether it actually gets inside the rollers before setting. Only way would be to remove the chain and warm it up but that's a nightmare when you aren't as anal as Mick about these things :mrgreen:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 13 Dec 2012, 1:54pm

Keep your bike in the house like me. :D

I too don't get a rusty chain in the winter or rain. Possibly because I use a shiny plated chain? I sometimes do see a spot or two of rust on older chains the morning after a wet ride, but not the newer ones.

I use three chains and swap them round, and because I didn't buy them all at the same time, some have more mileage than others. I am the proud owner of four Campag Centaur 10sp chains - A, B, C and D. A is in retirement and D is unused and still in its packet.
Mick F. Cornwall

Trigger

Postby Trigger » 13 Dec 2012, 2:16pm

Ha @ keeping bike in house! a) it's not my house and b) there's no room.

Just the one chain for me, I didn't notice any rust through the summer when it seemed to rain almost every day :?

Perhaps I don't clean it often enough to give it chance to take rust :lol:

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Dec 2012, 2:18pm

Trigger wrote:Why am I not getting a rusty/squeaky chain using a dry wax lube in the winter? I even rode all through this sodden summer without having to apply it more than once a week, never saw a spot of rust and it never once squeaked :?

ordinary rainwater is fairly benign; road salt is what eats chain lubes up. Maybe you haven't seen enough road salt yet?

The other thing is that plated chains look superficially OK even when they are not. The lubricant film will often fail first in the bushings (hence squeaking, often...) but that chain can still look more or less OK because of the plating. Corrosion in the bushings can appear as very greatly accelerated wear. If I were trying to use wax lube in the winter, when there is road salt about, I'd use a plated chain, and expect to have to relube it after every single ride.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 13 Dec 2012, 2:30pm

Brucey wrote:............... and expect to have to relube it after every single ride.

Mick F wrote:Disadvantages are:
You need to apply it every few days, and daily in wet weather.
Cost is high.
(Some folk do no maintenance, and replace everything - so it can work out cheaper.)

:D :D
Mick F. Cornwall

Anglian

Postby Anglian » 13 Dec 2012, 3:00pm

dalifnei wrote:can't decide if should use wet lube or dry lube for my chain (regular city commute only) ... also seen a spray on aerosol dry lube. Too many choices! Any hints? Many thx

The important thing is that one doesn't let the chain become too dog-eared:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/cult ... me=2426844

Valbrona

Postby Valbrona » 13 Dec 2012, 5:48pm

Those magazine articles are stupid. The ones where they say: 'I use dry lube and look how clean and rust free my chain has stayed through the winter'. Yes, dry lube coats and protects. But does dry lube lubricate? No it doesn't.
I should coco.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Dec 2012, 6:09pm

Mick F wrote:
Brucey wrote:............... and expect to have to relube it after every single ride.

Mick F wrote:Disadvantages are:
You need to apply it every few days, and daily in wet weather.
Cost is high.
(Some folk do no maintenance, and replace everything - so it can work out cheaper.)

:D :D

local to me this means;
ride three miles; maintain chain;
etc

it soon gets very boring.... :roll:

cheers

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 13 Dec 2012, 7:13pm

I ain't riding where you are then!

Seriously, dry lubes are waxy and lubricative. If the waxyness is dissolved by salt, I cannot comment because it doesn't seem to happen with me. I do admit that wet and awful weather dissolves it and even though I've ridden in horrendous weather, I've not had to re-lube during a day's ride.

Dry lubes are just that. Dry and lubricative. You don't need a lubricant that is wet to be a lubricant.

The problem is water displacement. Wet lubes tend to be more resistant to water than dry lubes.
Mick F. Cornwall

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Dec 2012, 8:04pm

it may be because they are especially keen on gritting the roads hereabouts, and it doesn't rain all that much, even though it is damp enough that the salt does disappear in some places. So they just chuck loads more down. Everywhere and often.

It eats.... everything... :cry: .

I may have mentioned this before, but I can start out in the morning, with a perfectly clean, freshly lubed chain, ride six miles on tarmac, five miles on a frozen dirt track, and by lunchtime my chain may be visibly corroded and may even have stiff links in it. I may as well have been riding my bike under the sea, for all the difference there is..

cheers

jb

Postby jb » 13 Dec 2012, 8:07pm

The dry lubricant that I was familiar with depended on the Teflon molecules sticking to the dry grease free metal. As new chains always come with a protective grease layer the alcohol type carrier has to first shift this in order for the Teflon to get a grip, so the first application can be a bit patchy. Lubricant must then be applied regularly because the Teflon coating is not self healing and is eventually ripped off the metal surface. As it is not sticky dust bounces off it and has less chance of penetrating the link but rain can drag grit in, where it will scour off the Teflon film.

With cycle chains unless fully enclosed its always a losing battle. Some oils are stickier in the wet but collect contamination, others don't hang around very long but this may be a good thing as its constantly refreshed, WD type stuff is not oil but thin grease in suspension & not very good. But basically as long as something slippery is on it thats all you can do, the wear rate depends entirely on the conditions its subjected to, and no two riders will be the same so comparison is futile IMO.
Cheers
J Bro