Aftermarket Chain Cases

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mark a.

Aftermarket Chain Cases

Post by mark a. »

Since my town bike has hub gears, it would make sense to put on a chain case to help my bike and my trousers. However, I haven't found any for sale in any of the usual online bike shops. The only option seems to be the Hebie Chainglider.

So my questions are:
1) Where are they for sale (preferably lightweight plastic)?
2) Would I be able to fit one to my bike anyway? I guess they could be very specific to the bike.
3) Would it benefit the hub in any way, such as helping to keep out water? (That would be useful)
4) Should I just get the Chainglider?

The bike is a Carrera Subway 8 with Nexus 8. I'll need to check my chainring / sprocket combination but it's probably something like 38-20.
robc02

Re: Aftermarket Chain Cases

Post by robc02 »

You should find what you want here.

The only person I know who's tried a chainglider found it awkward to set up correctly. I think he eventually gave up on it. That's not to say everyone will find this, of course. Personally, I'd prefer something with clearance between it and the the chain even though it will be bulkier.

Please let us know how you get on.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have owned and used several bikes with chaincases and they are simply brilliant for reducing chain maintenance to near-zero. For utility bikes, they are well worth it, despite the inconvenience when time comes to remove the rear wheel.

I've not used a chainglider; I suspect that anything riding on the chain would make a noise and quickly drive me nuts.

BTW most chaincases are designed for fitting to steel frames. I'd expect to have to modify the brackets etc to fit them onto an aluminium frame like the subway one.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anglian

Post by Anglian »

mark a. wrote:Since my town bike has hub gears, it would make sense to put on a chain case to help my bike and my trousers. However, I haven't found any for sale in any of the usual online bike shops. The only option seems to be the Hebie Chainglider.

So my questions are:
1) Where are they for sale (preferably lightweight plastic)?
2) Would I be able to fit one to my bike anyway? I guess they could be very specific to the bike.

The bike is a Carrera Subway 8 with Nexus 8. I'll need to check my chainring / sprocket combination but it's probably something like 38-20.

I just bought an SKS Chainboard for a friend. The product's available in online shops (Chain Reaction, Fatbirds etc).

It's not a full chaincase, but it might be better than a chainglider.

You need to buy the right size for your chainwheel. The length is adjustable.

Fitting is not technically difficult, but the bottom-bracket needs to be disassembled to mount the metal spider which supports the chainguard.

Warmest regards,
Anglian
julk

Post by julk »

I have a chainglider on my Rohloff geared bike.

Good points,
It is silent in use - which surprised me.
It is easy to get the chaincase off for removing the rear wheel.
It is keeping the chain in excellent condition.

Not so good points,
You have to use the chainring ands sprocket sizes it is made for, so a restricted choice.
The chainring needs to be a thin steel one (eg Surly), a fatter aluminium alloy one will rub on this chaincase.

The seatstay on my bike was close to the rear sprocket and pushing the chaincase off vertical at the rear top.
I filed a sloping groove in the rear chaincase until it fitted vertical, then covered the cutout with a bit of black duck tape.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I fitted a Hebbie Chainglider to my Carrera Subway 8. It took a bit of fettling to get it on but nothing too demanding. Seems to work very nicely. I got it on line form Dot Bike. The only word of caution is that you should take it off periodically to chain on the chain condition. I left mine on for about year - when I did get the bike checked at a dr bike session the chain was slack and knackered - out of sight out of mind.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Thanks all. I'm particularly glad that the Chainglider - which is probably the easiest option - is doable on the Subway 8.

Like many, I wish chain cases (or are they chain guards? Or gear guards?) were more common in the UK. They make eminent sense for UK conditions especially.

I'll consider trying the Chainglider. If it works then I can see if it's worth putting one on my wife's Rohloff bike too.