Appreciate feedback on the Charge Tap

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dbascent1986

Appreciate feedback on the Charge Tap

Postby dbascent1986 » 10 Jan 2013, 5:07pm

Looking at this UK branded bike and wanted to check if any long term users might care to comment - have looked at Nexus gear threads so reliability here would be helpful, also ease ofservicing from a LBS, also interested in quality of frame - my tange frame remains quite bomb proof after over 25 years but checking if this is still the case for current models

Ant

Re: Appreciate feedback on the Charge Tap

Postby Ant » 11 Jan 2013, 4:33pm

Hi

I had a charge mixer until very recently. The frame is almost identical to the tap, but for ebb and disc mounts. The geometry was a bit odd, quite short in length with toe overlap issues if that upsets you. Also the head tube is shortish so you are naturally in a quite crouched position, which isn't necessarily best for most people, although flipping tHe stem raises the handlebars a little. The frame is very stiff, although this may be worse with the mixer due to the disc tabs on the fork meaning it has to be quite stiff.

After two years commuting the paintwork still looked great when I cleaned it and I had no issues at all with the bike while I owned it.

Hope this helps...

531colin

Re: Appreciate feedback on the Charge Tap

Postby 531colin » 11 Jan 2013, 5:34pm

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53020&hilit=mixer

Its a very long thread, I'm afraid, with some highly polarised viewpoints. By about page 15 (yes, really!) two of us at least had reached an understanding of each others views.