Size of a TSR when separated

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
BE1

Size of a TSR when separated

Post by BE1 »

Having come into a small amount of money I have been considering buying a Moulton TSR, not least because I had hoped to carry it separated onto the Eurostar with me for FNRttC purposes.

However Eurostar have changed their baggage policy and placed an 85cm limit on the length* of baggage . :evil:

How easy is it to get a TSR down to that length: is it just seperate and take the wheels off?

My capacity to mess up even the easiest of mechanical tasks knows no bounds :oops: so I'd rather not have to do anything more than have the wheels off.

Many thanks

*no they will not accept something which is only 85 long but 110cm wide!
velorog

Re: Size of a TSR when separated

Post by velorog »

I have a APB rather than a TSR but the sizes are similar. When separated the max length is about 110cm so you will have to remove the wheels (and possibly the rear mech) when the size comes down to 75cm. Handlebars, mudgaurds, rack, pedals and saddle/stem will also need to be removed so its not a simple job

Have a look at the YouTube video which shows a TSR being packed into a large Samsonite suitcase which I think is about 75 cm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCx2dulWMnQ

This gives you some idea of the amount of dis-assembly that is required. To be safe, if not using a suitcase, it would be best to acquire a bike bag which meet the required dimensions and fit everything in there.
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

BE1 wrote:However Eurostar have changed their baggage policy and placed an 85cm limit on the length* of baggage . :evil:

You can take luggage under 30Kg (and under 2m) as 'Registered' for an additional cost.
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Velorug

Many thanks for the link. With a slightly bigger case I could probably avoid removing the rear mech (padding it well instead) and this sould also give some wiggle room if a go for a TSR 30 and drop bars.

Thermostat9

This is true, but if I'm having to pay for registered baggage the temptation would be to go down another route: get a Spa Audax and put the savings made compared to a TSR 30 towards paying the bike fees.
soton

Post by soton »

Yes, separate and remove both wheels and you can get to under 85cm; but you have to do all of that.
There's a photo of (a half) with the wheel on: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47878; the length of that carry bag is almost 1.1m. Another near identical bag holds the other end with wheel on.
If you can transport it in bags like that, it's a very lightweight, quick option, and you can use the bags as groundsheets for camping.
I use the same suitcase as seen on the video link from another reply to you, and I have dropped bars, but can't get the bike in without removing the rear mech. That suitcase is about 78cm overall length, but you're left with a suitcase to deal with when you arrive. Putting the bike in the suitcase takes a good half hour as you try to remember where it all goes and do it with care.
BE1

Post by BE1 »

soton wrote:Yes, separate and remove both wheels and you can get to under 85cm; but you have to do all of that.
There's a photo of (a half) with the wheel on: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47878; the length of that carry bag is almost 1.1m. Another near identical bag holds the other end with wheel on.
If you can transport it in bags like that, it's a very lightweight, quick option, and you can use the bags as groundsheets for camping.
I use the same suitcase as seen on the video link from another reply to you, and I have dropped bars, but can't get the bike in without removing the rear mech. That suitcase is about 78cm overall length, but you're left with a suitcase to deal with when you arrive. Putting the bike in the suitcase takes a good half hour as you try to remember where it all goes and do it with care.

Soton

Thanks for passing on your experience.

Mt trips to London involve arriving in Friday night, doing a Friday Night Ride to the Coast and the getting the Eurostar back on a Saturday. I could easily leave the suitcase in St Pancras, but I'd be concerned that a sleep deprived (and occassionaly sodden and freezing) me would take a bit more than 30 minutes to pack the case on the way back and risk doing something stupid to the bike in the process :oops: .