Shimergo front shifting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
naff_monk

Re: Shimergo front shifting

Post by naff_monk »

Sorry yes, you're right, it does indeed need to increase. I saw somebody on here having some success using two spd cleats and a couple of thin washers to do a similar job on a rear mech in the past, maybe this could also work in this scenario for a bit of no outlay tinkering.

I still stick to the original suggestion though, just get a campy front mech :wink:
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

naff_monk wrote:Sorry yes, you're right, it does indeed need to increase. I saw somebody on here having some success using two spd cleats and a couple of thin washers to do a similar job on a rear mech in the past, maybe this could also work in this scenario for a bit of no outlay tinkering.

I still stick to the original suggestion though, just get a campy front mech :wink:

That was me :) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69917&hilit=+shimergo

Yes, a simple extension to the arm length could work. I tried this out on the Ultegra mech with a bracket made from another deceased shimano front mech. It was adapted from the back plate of the cage, taken at the heel end, where there's a screw hole already drilled to fit. The problem is that the right angle (that carries the inner cable) is too far from the screw, so that needs cutting off and another right angle made nearer the screw end. Then file a small notch at the top of the elbow to carry the mech cable.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Crepello, I agree with the gist of what you say, but I'm not altogether sure you are not taking liberties with the meaning of 'leverage' in the process... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Oh, ok. I'm not sure why I'm misusing the term - can you explain? :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well we think what is required is a longer arm on the 'input' side of the front mech. To me (and I suspect others) this should increase the 'leverage' of the front mech, in that for any given input force/pull, the output force on the mech cage will increase, and the output travel will decrease.

Apologies if this seems pedantic; maybe leverage is not the best term to be talking about wrt front mechs anyway....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Your quite right Brucey. It's not being pedantic all, when you read it through....
CREPELLO wrote:The cable clamp adaptation you illustrated above would only increase leverage on the mech - the OP needs to decrease leverage. As Brucey said, there is a part available that decreases leverage, by extending the length of the actuation arm. CJ has had success in adapting it to fit a Shimano road mech. It's part number FD-CE011.
I got me words mixed up a bit :roll: No question about it. It's cable pull I meant to describe. Thanks for pointing it out :wink: Although leverage is part of the mechanism, isn't it?
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

I've read some posts here that contradict what I have working in two bikes.

Bike 1:
Campy Veloce Ultrashift 10 speed shifters
FD Shimano 105 Triple ( I think these are 5600 or the one before)
RD Shimano 105
Triple 9 Speed crankset

Works very weel. To move from small ring to middle is does need three clicks but I'm used to do it in one go, pushing the lever all the way once. I do the same for going from middle to large ring. I then have 2 clicks to adjust the derailleur if I'm in a low gear at the back. A third click would put me back in the middle ring.

I have a similar setup on bike 2 but this other bike has only a double chainring, The rest is all Shimano 105

Works very similar.

The one thing I know is that QS shifters don''t work with Shimano derailleurs.

So, campy ultrashift shifters do work with 105 front derailleurs and they work very well once you get used to them
naff_monk

Post by naff_monk »

Indeed, ultrashift is a different beast as you have much more control in either direction. Unfortunately the OP has powershift levers which only have two clicks to move the entire ratchet on the down shift. These shifters are workable, but the cable pull is much more important as the down shift is essentially indexed, hence why sticking to campy for both shifter and mech is favourable.

I can't see why you would want to have a shimano mech in this circumstance anyway, IMHO it seems to me to be a small outlay to have improved shifting performance by using parts that were made to work together.
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

If I get a new campag triple FD (seem to be about £60), which, especially if shift ratio on new levers has changed, would be most likely to be compatible with my levers would the cage be too narrow for my 9 speed chain, given that it would be designed for 10 or 11 (11 if Athena) speed chain??
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Unfortunately, I don't think your going to get an answer, unless someone comes along who has used all the latest Campag. There is a compatibility chart http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... _table.pdf
which only hints at what might be possible - ie, it says that 2010 (ultrashift) front mech's will work with 2012 powershift 'ok'. So a process of deduction and reasoning suggests that any campag front mech, that isn't QS, should have the right cable pull ratio.

BTW, you can still get Campag triple front mechs for much less than £60 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cycling-/7294 ... iple+front
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

The honest answer is I have no idea - but I guess on the front there has been no change - shifting three sprockets is still shifting three sprockets. Its not like the back where more sprockets have been fitted in to the same space Presumably as the OP has new Campag shifters these will be compatible with the latest Campag triple front mechs.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

steady eddy wrote:Presumably as the OP has new Campag shifters these will be compatible with the latest Campag triple front mechs.
So clarification is needed as to whether these shifters are 2011/12 or 2013 - I was under the impression (assumption) that they were 2012. Campag have reintroduced triples in a much bigger way this year, so yes, a question remains as to whether they've changed the cable pull.
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

So clarification is needed as to whether these shifters are 2011/12 or 2013 - I was under the impression (assumption) that they were 2012.

Part no is EP12-ATB1C so I guess they are 2012. Have ordered a Centaur front mech so will see how I got on.

Many thanks for all the input.
CJ

Post by CJ »

CREPELLO wrote:As Brucey said, there is a part available that decreases leverage, by extending the length of the actuation arm. CJ has had success in adapting it to fit a Shimano road mech. It's part number FD-CE011.

Here is that part fitted to a Shimano front mech (after a little filing of the mech).

Shimano road mech, unofficially adapted with Campag part FD-CE011, for operation by their Ultrashift levers.
Shimano road mech, unofficially adapted with Campag part FD-CE011, for operation by their Ultrashift levers.

The mech now takes three clicks to shift middle to outer and one click is fine enough to trim it. Previously, one click would simply alter the side on which the chain rubbed.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.