Fixed Gear/Single Speed .

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mig

Re: Fixed Gear/Single Speed .

Post by mig »

doesn't 'fixed wheel' mean that the pedals are attached directly to the front wheel as with ,say, a children's tricycle?
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

No, it simply means that there is no freewheel facility. I suppose cranks being attached directly to the axle, childrens trikes, Ordinary bikes (Penny Farthings) would be direct drive?
philg

Post by philg »

Yes, fixed-wheel as opposed to free-wheel.

There is a connection with ordinaries though, in that when we say we're riding a 70" gear, this is equivalent to an ordinary with that diameter front wheel.

I was a fixed sceptic until I tried it; I am now a convert, although not fanatical. A different riding experience and one everyone should try at least once IMHO.

I didn't get on with single-speed though - seemed to have all of the drawbacks of fixed with only one compensation (free-wheel). An expression I heard was that it was like sucking a sweet with the wrapper on. :)
YMMV
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
531colin

Post by 531colin »

reohn2 wrote:
531colin wrote:
Start with what "comes in the kit". Pick a chainring on the existing crank (hint....try the middle one) . Pick a rear sprocket (hint...somewhere in the middle of the existing block). Put the chain round that ring and sprocket, use the existing rear mech. as a chain tensioner, and ride it as a singlespeed for a bit. Doing this you can try different gear ratios as singlespeeds for no money. See eg. Sheldon Brown re. gear ratios. This will give you a clue as to what ratio(s) to aim for when you start spending money.

You could also fit the bike out with a cable and shifter,and voila you have a choice of singlespeed ratios for the hilly bits :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jayd

Post by jayd »

I really like riding fixed and wish I'd got into it years ago. It is a different way of riding - evident when you are out with geared cyclists. Fair play to the fellow 'grovelling', though I've seen a bit of grovelling from geared riders.
A long while ago I read (in pre-sportive obsessed C+ mag I think) of a thief trying to make off with a fellow's bike without realising it was fixed, and ended up on the deck. I now realise how that could easily happen.
Riding fixed is also an antidote to group-set consumption/ envy, and mine is very cheap to run.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

And ofcourse... for years fixed was not promoted by the cycling industry as they have less bits to sell us. Much better for them if we keep upgrading from 5 speed to 6, to 7, to 8 - ad infinitum! :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

And just how expensive are geared bicycles to run? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

As expensive, or cheap as you want them to be. We don't have to be hoodwinked by the industry to keep buying the new best thing, it's up to us. But some are. Some must have the latest, newest trick' thing. A lot of the stuff just comes around every so many years. Eliptical chainrings, B/B gearing systems etc. But you don't need a lot of stuff to enjoy riding a bike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pioneer wrote:As expensive, or cheap as you want them to be. We don't have to be hoodwinked by the industry to keep buying the new best thing, it's up to us. But some are. Some must have the latest, newest trick' thing. A lot of the stuff just comes around every so many years. Eliptical chainrings, B/B gearing systems etc. But you don't need a lot of stuff to enjoy riding a bike.

Oh yeah,there's a lot of fashionistas at large,but multi speed gear systems needn't follow fashion or cost the earth to be useful.
In the same way SS/Fixed can be an expensive indulgence for those same fashionistas.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Some of you might like this:-

http://5metresofdevelopment.blogspot.co ... results=10

Theres some kuuuhhlllll music on there too.............
W H Auden
MrLeadfoot

Post by MrLeadfoot »

I built a single speed MTB over the new year, Mongoose frame, BMX hub, 36t 18t free-wheel and all I do with it is just get on and ride, no lycra no SPDs.
Back to basic cycling!
Si

Post by Si »

MrLeadfoot wrote:I built a single speed MTB over the new year, Mongoose frame, BMX hub, 36t 18t free-wheel and all I do with it is just get on and ride, no lycra no SPDs.
Back to basic cycling!

If I was you I'd consider changing the gearing - you've a 2:1 which means you'll get uneven wear in the drive train and stuff won't last as long! On the other hand, if you are just using cheap stuff and not doing epic rides then this might not matter to you.
MrLeadfoot

Post by MrLeadfoot »

Si wrote:
MrLeadfoot wrote:I built a single speed MTB over the new year, Mongoose frame, BMX hub, 36t 18t free-wheel and all I do with it is just get on and ride, no lycra no SPDs.
Back to basic cycling!

If I was you I'd consider changing the gearing - you've a 2:1 which means you'll get uneven wear in the drive train and stuff won't last as long! On the other hand, if you are just using cheap stuff and not doing epic rides then this might not matter to you.

Good point I did want a 32t ring, I'll hunt one out, thanks.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

If you can't find a secondhand one, some of the retailers (i.e. chain reaction), still have thier sales on. And there's always Amazon....
MrLeadfoot

Post by MrLeadfoot »

pioneer wrote:If you can't find a secondhand one, some of the retailers (i.e. chain reaction), still have thier sales on. And there's always Amazon....

They have them on chain reaction £29 so thats a good start, thanks.