Carlton Courette update

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nina_15

Carlton Courette update

Post by Nina_15 »

I have a well-ridden 1981 Carlton Courette, which I'd like to keep as a spare bike, replacing worn components without spending a fortune.
Gears are now slipping - it has a 14/34 rear 5 speed cassette (?) and 52/42 double chainring (downtube shifters.) Is it still possible to buy 5 speed cassette or would I have to replace with different set-up? I imagine I'll have to replace the chainrings too and will obviously need new chain.
Do you think I can do all this for under £100? Thanks for your help.
thirdcrank

Re: Carlton Courette update

Post by thirdcrank »

You need a freewheel, not a cassette. Five speed freewheels are still available from quite a lot of places although 14/28 seems to be all most places offer. The chain will need replacing but a basic 5-6-7 speed chain will be OK.

All you need to know about freewheels and more besides is here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

My wife had a Courette, but I cannot remember what the chainwheels were made of. If they are steel, they might be OK.

If you do have to replace them, it might be easier to change the whole chainset (ie cranks and chainwheels) with something smaller diameter which would compensate a bit for not having the big back cog. Spa Cycles might be a good place to try.

I think it's one of those cases where you have to see if you are OK with just changing as little as possible. Otherwise you are into the realms of modernising a bike with 27" wheels and 5 speed spacing: everything is possible but it can be a financial black hole.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

is it ike this one?

If so you may or may not be able to replace the chainrings easily; having said this, you probably don't need to; chainrings need to be very worn before they are no good at all. I'd certainly try a new cahin and freewheel first, anyway.

If you can describe the gear slipping or post photos it may help a better diagnosis

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nina_15

Post by Nina_15 »

Thanks thirdcrank, your suggestions are really helpful and yes 'freewheel' not cassette! Will have to research availability of suitable freewheel and chain and likely cost. No point in spending too much on a spare, but it's still a good lightweight bike and was also my first tourer, so am reluctant to throw it away.

Brucey - yes that's my Courette. The middle gears (probably when on 23 & 30 sprocket) slip, usually when under pressure going up hill and sprockets do look worn. Not really surprising as I can't remember whether I ever replaced the freewheel when it was my main bike for commuting to work and also touring holidays!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you can get a 5 or 6 sp freewheel all well and good,a new chain and one of Spa's own triple chainsets would do the trick but I would think you'd need to remove the granny ring with the current mech and BB,total cost,about £70 all in,for the extra £30 a new BB and front mech and you've got a touring triple :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hercule

Post by hercule »

I have a Courette sitting waiting for restoration: it was my mother's bike bit she barely rode it. However I went for miles on it in the summer of 1980 when I was waiting for my first "real bike", a Motobecane, to arrive. I think I probably rode it more than anyone else and for that nostalgic reason alone I intend at some point to get it re-enamelled and rebuilt.

However, my plans are for hub gears - with a bit of careful respacing you might be able to fit an 8 speed Shimano in the back. Without respacing there are certainly a few Sturmey hubs that would fit, including their 8 speed hub. Possibly a more expensive option than those described above, but you'll have hugely reduced the need for maintenance.
Nina_15

Post by Nina_15 »

Thanks everyone for your help and comments.
Just one more quick question - if I go for a replacement freewheel, does it matter if it is index or non-index. (Courette has downtube shifters and I wasn't planning to replace these.)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The original freewheel wasn't indexed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nina_15 wrote:Thanks everyone for your help and comments.
Just one more quick question - if I go for a replacement freewheel, does it matter if it is index or non-index. (Courette has downtube shifters and I wasn't planning to replace these.)

You'll find all freewheels are indexed these days but it doesn't matter if the gear levers aren't,you'll find the gear change much better with an indexed freewheel.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Nina_15

Post by Nina_15 »

Thanks again for all your expert advice :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

BTW it is worth checking that you have not just got a stiff link in the chain before buying a load of new kit....

that can cause slippage as you describe.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~