SPDs and a Brompton

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatty

Re: SPDs and a Brompton

Post by fatty »

I fitted spd's to my dahon vitesse..... Very nerve racking to start off but much much better after a week or so.... Now I just live my life in spd shoes lol
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Cunobelin wrote:
andrew_s wrote:You could look at MKS Cube Ezy pedals, where the whole pedal unclips from the crank. The cleats seem to be specific non SPD-compatible ones.

DEATH TRAPS!!!!!!!!!!
There is a plastic collar that breaks after a few miles
At which point the twist to take your foot out also removes the pedal
Try putting your foot down with the pedal still attached to your shoe!
Experienced it once and ditched them

Saw these last week in Clasohlson - they look pretty good and third the price of the MKS.
Could be worth a punt.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Wellgo-QRD ... r315096000

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Wellgo-QRD ... r315113000
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

just beware; some wellgo 'sealed bearings' comprise a tiny outboard cartridge bearing and a friction inducing inboard sleeve bearing. Google 'eggbeater pedal bearings' if you want to see how these things work out in use; they are pretty much the same thing internally in many cases.

I also have a concern that the release button on the wellgos might be caught accidentally somehow, but not having tried them I can't say for sure.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nicolas_s

Post by nicolas_s »

I have been looking out for SPD folding pedals for the Brompton for a while. Tiller Cycles, http://www.tillercycles.co.uk, have some under development, but this has stalled. E-mail them with some encouragement and they say they'll get back on the case.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well there are these;

http://www.whiteind.com/quick-release-pedal-cranks.html

but I have no experience of them at all. I would worry about the fittings working loose in the end of the crank TBH.

cheers
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

MLJ wrote:Although I use 520's now, originally I just fitted mini-clips (strapless clips) to the Brompton pedals to prevent my feet sliding off. These do not interfere with the fold in any way.

Can you provide detail about this please.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I use the m324 pedals on my folder. They provide a muck better platform for when you haven't got all the SPD gear on. I find the a520 flat side on my commuter to still be quite slippery and there is a surprising amount of wear on the raised parts of the flat side.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

fatboy wrote:
MLJ wrote:Although I use 520's now, originally I just fitted mini-clips (strapless clips) to the Brompton pedals to prevent my feet sliding off. These do not interfere with the fold in any way.

Can you provide detail about this please.

The right pedal misses everything (if it is set backwards as usual) and the left pedal sticks out of 'the package' making it a little wider. Really you only need a QD/folding left pedal I guess, and even then only if you need the folded size to be absolutely as narrow as possible.

cheers
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Right hand easy. Need some imagination to fit toe clips to the left as the LH pedal is odd
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
markfh

Post by markfh »

For any one with an imagination failure I found the following link which described fitting mini-clips (strapless clips) to a Brompton folding left hand pedal :-

http://sevenleagueboots.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/strapless-toeclips-on-a-brompton/.

An alternative is to fit such clips to appropriate MKS Ezy pedals and then remove the left hand pedal when necessary, which is the approach I have taken with a (non-Brompton) folder.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Got the drill out and some old toe clips (which are thin plastic) and using washers and the reflector screws. Worked around the block on my test ride. I may take a saw to the toenclips to make them half clips.
LWaB

Post by LWaB »

My partner has used Wellgo QRDs on her S&S bike, her Moulton and her Brompton since 2011. They work. The QRDs come in flats, Look Keo and SPD-compatible options, she has all 3.

The MKS pedals use unique cleats that aren't compatible with SPD cleats. Only some folk have a pedalling style that releases the MKS collar when the half-clip isn't used. I understand that MKS also has a deluxe version that releases differently but the Wellgo are better choices anyway, due to cleat compatibility.