Unclipping difficulties

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mill4six

Unclipping difficulties

Post by mill4six »

I was given some old SPD-SL pedals which I've been using, with yellow cleats, for a while but although I find them very easy to clip in, releasing requires a big twisting force even when the adjusters are backed right off. I've just bought some new Shimano 105 pedals to see if that helps but once again even with the tension set to minimum it's an even bet whether the cleat will release before something gives in my knee :shock: I never had this with MTB pedals which I can set to release too easily if I want to. Sadly foot pain issues mean I no longer get on with them and my shoes are all road type. So what can I do? :(
Steveo2020

Re: Unclipping difficulties

Post by Steveo2020 »

Hi

You could use these to convert your road shoes to take SPDs?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-sh-sm85-cleat-adapter-

Cheers
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Are your cleats worn? I knwo it's a bit counter-intuitive, because in most cases,m the more something is worn the easier it is to fit, but worn cleats do't always work properly.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

A few drops of oil on cleats will often sort that out. When they are worn you can get what's called galling.
I've had it at times and oil fixed it each time..
jezer

Post by jezer »

A clean and spray of lubricant usually works, although you say the SPDs are old. I think the pattern of cleats was changed slightly a few years ago. I remember fitting new SPDs whilst using old cleats, only to find I couldn't easily release. Fitting the cleats that came with the new pedals cured the problem straight away.
Power to the pedals
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

Get some Speedplays ;)
Neil