Fit question stretched out on the hoods

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mark1978

Re: Fit question stretched out on the hoods

Post by Mark1978 »

More of a blogging type update rather than any request for advice!

I haven't actually sat on my road bike since I did the video, so it remains unconfigured still. I haven't done any cycling of any sort for a month.

I started having different issues with my back feeling like the entirety of the muscles in my back were in spasm, which went on for about a week, with my back getting increasingly sensitive. Felt like my car seat, work chair, bed, sofa had suddenly become very uncomfortable and full of ridges and dents. One meeting I was in I sat in just an ordinary padded chair and it felt all the muscles in my entire back were going to go into cramp at once!

Went to see the physio again, a different one this time (same practice), and he said that my pelvis was somewhat rotated and did some pushes and pulls to get it back 'into line', which did solve the issues with my upper back but the bit around the belt (even though I don't use a belt) continued to hurt and for about a week or so the side of my belly felt really strained as if that if I didn't keep hold of it then my insides would fall out!

Went to see the physio for a third time just before I went on holiday which didn't do a lot and the only reason I went because one of the most uncomfortable things is driving, as it hurts at the base of my spine from the pressure from the seat. Although it was a 300 mile driver (both there and back) I found with suitable positioning of cushions and swapping driving I was able to get through it, and my issues did ease a little during the holiday so that the drive back wasn't as bad.

Although now I'm back to work I'm sat in one place for hours the base of my spine is aching like crazy once again :(. I have another physio appt (NHS this time) in a couple of weeks time.

I've been debating resuming cycling in a limited way - and indoors only - for a while as stopping it doesn't seem to have improved my situation any and I'm getting less fit and fatter by the day.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sitting all the time isn't good for us; not at all.

Get a desk that adjusts so you can stand some of the time. If your work doesn't want to do this, your GP can write a note that you need it due to medical issues.

If you can, get your work to have your work station ergonomically evaluated.

Even if it seems counterintuitive, riding your bike might help. Try a short, gentle ride and see how you get on.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Vorpal wrote:Sitting all the time isn't good for us; not at all.

Get a desk that adjusts so you can stand some of the time. If your work doesn't want to do this, your GP can write a note that you need it due to medical issues.

If you can, get your work to have your work station ergonomically evaluated.

Difficult situation, politically speaking. Work has just been taken over, on a big economy drive to cut out unnecessary costs, and personnel. Insisting on anything could backfire. That said I have changed my chair from a car seat type gaming chair to a more ordinary office chair with high back and arm rests.

Even if it seems counterintuitive, riding your bike might help. Try a short, gentle ride and see how you get on.

Yeah I spent this morning getting my turbo sorted out again. The physio suggested if I wanted to try cycling then some short 10-15min rides would be ok for starters, which I can do in the mornings on the turbo. Certainly having not done anything for a month and my symptoms showing no particular improvement I think we can say cycling isn't the primary driver of my pain, even if it might have been the trigger.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Has your physiotherapist given you specific exercises / diagnosed what is the problem :?:

My chronic back problem (actually sacrum) where I was on long term meds, never went away till I stopped the meds and took up daily exercises given to me by the phisio.

You do have to be very disciplined in keeping up the exercises, other wise its constant misery and pain.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Has your physiotherapist given you specific exercises / diagnosed what is the problem :?:

Exercises, yes. Mostly general strengthening. But not diagnosed the specific issue as such.

My chronic back problem (actually sacrum) where I was on long term meds, never went away till I stopped the meds and took up daily exercises given to me by the phisio.

You do have to be very disciplined in keeping up the exercises, other wise its constant misery and pain.

The sacrum (only just looked up what that means) is the source of my pain most of the time, it radiates outwards but that's where it is centered. In particular my main source of discomfort at the moment is driving where the seat pushes into the sacrum area of my back that bit is really sore. Reading about it does seem to fit my symptoms but the same is true of various conditions I've looked at.

What sort of exercises did you do? Are you still doing them?

Was your issue due to a rotated pelvis by any chance? I've been reading about that can it says it can come about from

* Sitting lopsidedly e.g. when driving - check! Always drove leaning on the left hand side of the car seat.
* Sleeping on one size - check! Always sleep on my left
* Carrying something heavy always on one side like a baby - check! She's 6 months old and getting heavier.