B&M Luxos U - first impressions. UPDATE lamp failure

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pherron

Re: B&M Luxos U - first impressions. UPDATE lamp failure

Post by pherron »

Hi Sprogg77 - my Luxos (mark 2) is still alive and functioning well. I did two week long camping tours, charging stuff all day this summer. I also used the lamp for a FnRttC night ride recently. That said I would not recommend them. My companion on the first tour (Pennine Cycle Way) was also running a Luxos (mark 3) which completely died on him half way through. I have come to the conclusion that they are simply over complicate and unreliable.

I would recommend a separate headlight such as the Cyo (or IQ-X or Edelux etc.) and a USB Werk. My other half ran this for the second camping tour (Brittany) with no problem at all. The cost is about the same and if one part dies at least the other part works.

As far as I can see there have been several iterations in attempting to fix the obvious lack of water proofness (there may be more):
The mark 1 had a USB socket that plugged into the side of the headlamp - this clearly let water in. Mine died first season.
The mark 2 has a USB socket hard wired to the side of the headlamp. This is quite vulnerable to water so I keep it covered in the rain.
The mark 3 has a waterproof screw connector (as supplied with the USB-Werk) hard wired into the lamp. This one died too after one season.

B&M seem to honour replacing them regardless of age. I think they know they have a problem.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

my personal biggest concern with B&M Luxos U is not its "IP" interface weakeness, is not its superb light performance ... but rather its USB power limited to 2.5-2.75 W regardless of speeds even well above 20 km/h
Allydoug

Post by Allydoug »

Pherron,
A few years on and looking at getting a Luxos U. Have you got any info on how yours is running or any changes to the design and therefore reliability?
Maybe you're still active here?
Thanks!
Compliments from a nice laddie over the rainbow in Scotland.
pherron

Post by pherron »

Allydoug wrote:Pherron,
A few years on and looking at getting a Luxos U. Have you got any info on how yours is running or any changes to the design and therefore reliability?
Thanks!

Hi Allydoug.
My mark 2 Luxus U is till going strong against my expectations. In 2019 I used it on several tours to charge equipment (Garmin, camera & Samsung phone) and I also did two night rides last year when it provided excellent light output reliably all night. I think there is a mark 3 out now which has a waterproof coupler for the USB output (mine is just hardwired in). All in all it's been reliable. I had grave doubts about it's ability to cope with wet after my first mark 1 unit failed - but that did have an open jack plug socket to connect the USB. My current one has been subjected to several days of horrible wet weather and living outside overnight on last years Way of the Roses camping trip. Certainly there were similar occasions in 2017 & 2018. I do not charge anything when it is raining in order to prevent ingress int the USB socket.

On balance it has proved to be a reliable and efficient unit. It struggles to charge a smart phone when touring as I'm generally loaded and going slow up hills. It's ok over a long day and does slowly get there. It copes very well with charging my Garmin 1080 which has much lower power demands. That said a friend had a mark 3 unit 2 years ago which failed completely. He did not replace it but got a refund.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

pherron wrote:
Allydoug wrote:Pherron,
Thanks!

Hi Allydoug.
My mark 2 Luxus U is till going strong against my expectations. In 2019 I used it on several tours to charge equipment (Garmin, camera & Samsung phone) and I also did two night rides last year when it provided excellent light output reliably all night. I think there is a mark 3 out now which has a waterproof coupler for the USB output (mine is just hardwired in). All in all it's been reliable. I had grave doubts about it's ability to cope with wet after my first mark 1 unit failed - but that did have an open jack plug socket to connect the USB. My current one has been subjected to several days of horrible wet weather and living outside overnight on last years Way of the Roses camping trip. Certainly there were similar occasions in 2017 & 2018. I do not charge anything when it is raining in order to prevent ingress int the USB socket.

On balance it has proved to be a reliable and efficient unit. It struggles to charge a smart phone when touring as I'm generally loaded and going slow up hills. It's ok over a long day and does slowly get there. It copes very well with charging my Garmin 1080 which has much lower power demands. That said a friend had a mark 3 unit 2 years ago which failed completely. He did not replace it but got a refund.

Pherron

My Luxos 2 USB connector unplugs and its connection is covered by a small rubber cap - see photos. Is this what you call the "Mk.3" version ?

20200406_234751.jpg
20200406_234920.jpg
20200406_234826.jpg

(FWIW mine has seen limited use, has been reliable, and half charges my phone in a couple of hours - IF I am in aeroplane mode and just using a GPS nav app - Oruxmaps in my case)
pherron

Post by pherron »

Yes that seems to be the third version I am aware of.

1. Jack plug (headphone type) to connect USB socket
2. USB socket cable hard wired into side of lamp (mine)
3. USB socket connects with water proof connector (yours)
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

pherron wrote:Yes that seems to be the third version I am aware of.

1. Jack plug (headphone type) to connect USB socket
2. USB socket cable hard wired into side of lamp (mine)
3. USB socket connects with water proof connector (yours)
Many thanks for the clarification pherron. Seems to be a few reports of unreliability of the Luxos U on here. I really like mine though - perfect for my cycle camping/touring - so crossed fingers with the Mk.3 connection hardware mine is going to be ok...