London-Amsterdam help me Pimp by Bike!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rowanj

London-Amsterdam help me Pimp by Bike!

Post by rowanj »

Hi-
Ok, so I've got a Specialized Vita Sport 2012, with no trimmings, except what it came with. In September, I'm doing a 3-day London-Amsterdam road ride. It's about 280 miles. I've never done this amount of cycling before in such a short period of time, and I'm pretty aware that: saddle, pedals, wheels and possibly steering/bar will need to be changed. Obviously I don't want to spend so much money that I might as well have bought a more expensive bike to begin with (the bike came before the decision to ride to Amsterdam!).
Can any one you suggest some basic switches that will really help? I don't currently ride in cycling shoes but.....

Cheers,
R
Ant

Re: London-Amsterdam help me Pimp by Bike!

Post by Ant »

Hi there

First off, good luck with your trip, sounds great. But actually why change anything? Is the saddle uncomfy? Spesh saddles are usually pretty good and a new saddle just before a big ride is not such a good plan so if you do change it give yourself plently of time on it!

New grips might be nice, again IF the current ones are uncomfy. Spesh do some nice bar end grips too, which might be worth checking out for variety of hand/back positions...

Pedals? Anything wrong with the standard set or are you thinking clip less - in which case new shoes also needed and time to get used to them would be good.

Ant
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I am rather amazed that there's not been an overwhelming blast of rack and mudguard comments...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'd suggest spending @£20 on a pair of butterfly bars - a real advance on comfort over your straight bars.

Use some stiffish soled shoes, mitts/gloves are good and probably some padded shorts/liners.

Emergency kit ie tube, pump, tyre levers, repair kit, multitool.

Get the bike checked by a mechanic before you set off.

You won't be very comfortable carrying stuff on your back for that distance, you could fit a basket to carry stuff or invest in a rack and pannier bags.

enjoy your ride
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

That's a quality cycle, I wouldn't think about changing the wheels. Have you seen the women's specific chamois cream?, one example http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HNH ... mois_cream (apologies for the rather frank description) +1 for letting the bike carry the load.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rowanj wrote:Hi-
Ok, so I've got a Specialized Vita Sport 2012, with no trimmings, except what it came with. In September, I'm doing a 3-day London-Amsterdam road ride. It's about 280 miles. I've never done this amount of cycling before in such a short period of time, and I'm pretty aware that: saddle, pedals, wheels and possibly steering/bar will need to be changed. Obviously I don't want to spend so much money that I might as well have bought a more expensive bike to begin with (the bike came before the decision to ride to Amsterdam!).
Can any one you suggest some basic switches that will really help? I don't currently ride in cycling shoes but.....

Cheers,
R

You've got from now until September to ride the bike,it's only by riding that you'll find out if you need to change anything at all.
Good shorts with an insert will help,forget the expensive creams,I use Conotrane which is similar to Savlon but about half the price.
You don't say if the ride is supported or if you'll be carrying your own luggage,as mrjemm says you may need to consider how to carry stuff if needs be.One tip if you are carrying anything don't use a rucksac.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

The bike is probably good enough for 90 miles a day, the rider has to be broken in though. :lol:

You have to get used to riding the bike for increasingly long distances and then you will get to know what needs changing.
Yma o Hyd