Specialized air tool road pump or lifeline mini pump?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
M.G

Specialized air tool road pump or lifeline mini pump?

Post by M.G »

Hi,

anyone got any experiences of these pumps? the specialized one: anyone got an idea how long it is?

M.G
PW

Post by PW »

Doubt if either will compete with a Zefal HPX. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
mading

Post by mading »

No experience, but Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op say Specialized is 44cm long...

...which you will now know if you bought one - in which case, is it any good?

Thanks,
m
atoz

Post by atoz »

PW wrote:Doubt if either will compete with a Zefal HPX. :wink:

Yes, Zefal HPX pumps are great- when you can get a replacement washer for the push on fitting. Of course, you can't in a local bike shop- they just won't stock them. The last place I tried, the guy looked at me like I had crawled from under a stone, and his young assistant didn't even know what one was.

The excuses are"haven't had one for years"; "everyone uses compact pumps"; "noone uses frame fit pumps any more"; usually accompanied with a dose of a look meaning "don't waste my time with antique crap". Funny thing is, they'll happily sell you £2000 worth of posy race machine, but seem to have a problem with basic service.

That's the reason for using the Net of course, except that it costs too much to order a part like this- the postage is more than the part!

With attitudes like this, local bike shops are doomed to extinction- and frankly with some of the attitudes I've come across, good riddance.
PW

Post by PW »

That's a problem with the trade, not the equipment. If you need a washer add it to another order from one of the better on-line suppliers. Bike shops like that are a waste of space.
atoz

Pumps and sundries..

Post by atoz »

Yes, good idea- I did think of this anyway. As you say, bike shops like this no-one is going to miss.

Trouble is, quite a few are like this. I know there's no profit margin in stuff like washers, but there is such a thing as good will.

It's been like this for years. A neighbour of ours likened bike shops as being the last refuge of primitive man. Customer care is really just a dream. Bit like South West Trains then...
gaz

Specialized Pumps

Post by gaz »

I have experience of Specialized mini-pumps, but I'm not sure if it's the same model.

Got two, both clip on to a plastic bit that bolts on under the bottle cage.
Purchased some years ago (10?), primarily for an ATB but also for a tourer which lacked brazings for a frame pump. Keep them because they still work but they aren't my favorite.

The ATB (Suntour Equiped 753-happy memories but I'm digressing) found its way into a skip after a couple of years - the pump did not. The road bike frame got trashed in a pothole and the new one's got a pump peg. Since then it's been an in the saddlebag back up for the Schraeder valves on a trailer and trailer bike.

OK-ish to use but not great, the ATB model (slightly fatter and squatter) is my favourite. The road model is capable of delivering high pressure but it's a lot of work. Never bothered to use the fold out handle or the glueless patches hidden in the top.

Unfortunately I've never used any other mini-pump to give a meaningful comparison.

What I do use is a Zefal HPX frame-fit pump - much, much better. Sadly mine pre-dates the little plastic presta/schraeder convertor hence the additional mini pump.

My LBS also denies the existence of replacement washers.
atoz

Re: Specialized Pumps

Post by atoz »

gaz wrote:I have experience of Specialized mini-pumps, but I'm not s Zefal HPX frame-fit pump - much, much better. Sadly mine pre-dates the little plastic presta/schraeder convertor hence the additional mini pump.

My LBS also denies the existence of replacement washers.

To follow up my previous post- if you look on the Zefal website, both the HPX pump and the washer are both still made. The washer is available as a replacement kit. According to Parker International, they supply it in the UK- may not be the only ones. Cost of kit quoted was around £2.69 I think but of course there's postage- obviously to include in another order. And I would be inclined to give them a ring, just in case their website entry is a work of fiction.

Interestingly enough, this week's Cycling Weekly reviewed some track pumps, and claimed that for most of them spares were available. I'd like to see some evidence of this! For my own part, I use a Silca Pista track pump- this was not reviewed in the CW article. I did manage to get a spare washer in my local LBS, and apparently Mike Dyason does spares as well.
PW

Post by PW »

I sometimes use Parkers for roadie type stuff. In my experience they're a good outfit & if they say something's available then it will be. (Usual disclaimer).
wowbagger

Post by wowbagger »

I've got a Specialized Road Tool and it's very good. I have only used it once for a puncture on the road, on an Audax, and when I got to a control I borrowed a track pump to get the tyre up to the right pressure (65psi). The SRT had got it to 57psi with no trouple at all.

Having said that, I would expect a bigger pump (the HPX 4, say) to outperform it, but in my view the Specialized Road Tool is a very good little pump, which has the added advantage that you can store your puncture repair kit in the handle!
atoz

More pumps etc

Post by atoz »

One of the reason I am picky about washers/pumps is this sort of cautionary tale...

Just over a month back I was doing a day ride in the Lakes. Punctured just out of Coniston. Put the spare in..but realised that the spare was a tad older than I had realised- had old style shorter valves. OK I got it up to pressure- but it's easier with modern valves. And of course, it was more tricky cos my HPX can't lock properly (to my satisfaction).

I got back to Carnforth train station...with 5 minutes to spare for the last train to Leeds. Ho hum.

When I got home, I checked the pressure with the gauge on the track pump- a miserly 70PSI. Bear in mind that this is a narrow tyre- good for 120 PSI. Good job I didn't puncture then en route back from Coniston. The route back has to mostly avoid the dreaded Barrow main road - this means a stiff climb at one point and a hair-raising descent.

It was the valve that was the problem-I tried later pumping up a modern valve with the HPX- 90PSI no problemo. But I remember that with the old washer and lock working correctly, the HPX would pump up any valve, no probs.

Moral is - you need right washer, the right valve, a Kevlar protected tyre- oh yes- a lot of luck.