Pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnbeard

Pedals

Postby johnbeard » 3 May 2013, 12:19pm

Hi,

I have just bought a new CB Dalesman, which I'm going to use for a mixture of commuting and touring. I've never had a "decent" bike before, or one with toe straps on the pedals. I'm finding the latter hard to get used to, and a pain for commuting given the regular stopping and starting at traffic lights, etc, so I'm debating swapping them for a pair of "standard" pedals, at least for commuting. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am a total ignoramus, so I have no idea if most/all pedals have a standard fit, or do I need to be looking for some with a specific thread size, or whatever? Apologies for the very basic nature of this question - I've ridden bikes for years, but I've never had one good enough to bother customising!

Thanks,

John

karlt

Re: Pedals

Postby karlt » 3 May 2013, 12:26pm

If you've got toe straps that's quite seriously old school - most people who want the advantage of a firm fixing to the pedal prefer clipless types that are easy (once you've got the hang) to get in and out of at junctions.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 3 May 2013, 12:26pm

johnbeard wrote:Hi,

I have just bought a new CB Dalesman, which I'm going to use for a mixture of commuting and touring. I've never had a "decent" bike before, or one with toe straps on the pedals. I'm finding the latter hard to get used to, and a pain for commuting given the regular stopping and starting at traffic lights, etc, so I'm debating swapping them for a pair of "standard" pedals, at least for commuting. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am a total ignoramus, so I have no idea if most/all pedals have a standard fit, or do I need to be looking for some with a specific thread size, or whatever? Apologies for the very basic nature of this question - I've ridden bikes for years, but I've never had one good enough to bother customising!

Pedals (for the most part) have a standard thread, so as long as you get a pedal spanner then it's just a matter of unscrewing them and screwing in the new ones.

For standard pedals then pretty much anything would do fine from your LBS. But instead you should consider some 'clipless' SPD pedals (not SPD-SL), these are better than toe clips because you're feet 'clip in' when you're riding but a quick twist of the foot and your out of the clips again. You can also get ones which have the clip mech on one side and a flat pedal on the other. You will need some special shoes for this, however if you are quick - and I mean like TODAY, Aldi will likely still have some in, £20 for a pair.

meic

Postby meic » 3 May 2013, 12:34pm

The strap and toe clip come off pretty easily and will leave behind just a pair of "standard" pedals.
Yma o Hyd

s1965c

Postby s1965c » 3 May 2013, 3:13pm

The pedals that come with a new Claud Butlers aren't double sided, so just taking the clips off won't work. They're low quality rubbish anyway.

I've tried SPDs, but found I preferred flats for touring and commuting. These V12 copies: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=665 have been flawless. Wide, grippy platform, smooth bearings and watertight seals. And all for £22.

The V8 copies, although a little cheaper are poor in comparison.
_________
LEJoG slug

georgew

Postby georgew » 3 May 2013, 3:25pm

These give you the choice of SPD or flat and I find them just the job.

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 3 May 2013, 10:02pm

A while back on one of my bikes with ordinary pedals I was finding my slipping a bit when it was wet - i also have quite wide feet. My LBS suggested something along the lines of:-

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... oduct=Slim Jim Alloy Pedals

It wasn't these pedals but something very much like them. The little protruding grub screws dig into the soles of your shoes just enough to stop them slipping I really like them and it saves you having to learn unto clip and unclip from SPDs

Swallow

Postby Swallow » 3 May 2013, 10:06pm

SPDs are great once you get used to them, I hate riding without my foot firmly attached, but if you're not sure you could try something like these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... s-toeclips but SPDs really are worth persevering with IMHO
'Kernow bys Vyken'

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 May 2013, 10:17pm

s1965c wrote: ...These V12 copies: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=665 have been flawless. Wide, grippy platform, smooth bearings and watertight seals. And all for £22.

The V8 copies, although a little cheaper are poor in comparison.

'Real' V12s (also made by wellgo I think but badged DMR) have an inner bearing that is a bushing, rather than a ball or roller bearing. Such bushings have appreciably higher friction (when loaded) than even inexpensive ball bearings. Unscrupulous vendors often describe such bearings as 'sealed' or 'cartridge'. The V8 copies may seem poor when you twirl a newish pair, but they almost certainly have have less friction under load than genuine V12 bearings.

Have you serviced them? Do the Wellgo ones also have inner bushings?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

johnbeard

Postby johnbeard » 4 May 2013, 7:25am

Thanks everyone for this really useful range of replies, they are all very helpful.

dbascent1986

Postby dbascent1986 » 4 May 2013, 7:48am

Switched back to flats and did not notice any reduction in performance, arguably more stamina as you have more foot positions. You also can use work shoes and you are much more comfortable in traffic. Shimano Saints are very well built and very comfortable.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 4 May 2013, 9:18am

Learning to clip and unclip took me all of 10 minutes. YMMV of course.

swmlon

Postby swmlon » 4 May 2013, 9:43am

I use flats, just feel more comfortable knowing I can take my foot off without having to think about unclipping. Especially useful in London with all the stop/starting and pedestrians jumping out in front of you.

Antan1

Postby Antan1 » 4 May 2013, 10:26am

I would have to agree on flats for heavy city traffic, I use Shimano spd's on both my mtb and road bike but on certain tracks on my mtb I unclip anyway because sometimes you just do not have the time to think of a quick foot twist to release.
Cannondale SL4 MTB. Trek Checkpoint ALR5