Commuting tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rogerzilla

Re: Commuting tyres

Postby rogerzilla » 11 May 2013, 7:00pm

reohn2 wrote:
rogerzilla wrote:ah...Ultra GatorSkins. Used for two weeks, two punctures, had a good look and they were completely studded with glass shards. Never again. They're not nicknamed Ultra HamsterSkins for nowt :D

Sorry to disagree again but I have no more problems with Gators than other tyres.
That said I would use them the for the kind of commute the OP has in mind.

I've come to the conclusion,and I'm not pointing any fingers here,but some people seem to puncture far more than others.I've had this conversation with other people and also with my LBS,the consensus seems to be riding technique or watching where you're going with regards to hazzards,some don't whilst others do.
IMHO with tyres such as M+ you simply don't need to worry as they'll most likely ride over anything without puncturing.
With other tyres that's less so,factor into that where you ride,and how careful you are where you ride and puncture risks vary.

To be precise, GatorSkins are the only tyres I've owned that have punctured through glass or other tread ingress in the last decade of riding. Honest. I had the sidewall taken out by a glass bottle (damn cyclepaths) on a Specialized Turbo S, and a pothole-induced snakebite at 160psi :shock: on a Vredestein Fortezza, but that really is it, apart from old tubes just letting go while the bike is stored. I average less than one puncture per year, maybe one every three years.

GatorSkins are the ultimate Marmite tyre - you either love or hate them. They seem to work for people who don't have the pleasure of glass-strewn psyclepaths, so maybe they fend off thorns and stuff.

123ttam

Postby 123ttam » 11 May 2013, 7:16pm

Schwalbe Land Cruisers and Slime innertubes would be my 2 peneth

san0

Postby san0 » 11 May 2013, 8:18pm

I've used the Marathon +, but wanted something a bit more livelier, so I borrowed a friends pair of Continental Gatorskin Grand Prix 4 Seasons. Easy to put on the rims. They are incredibly fast compared to the M+, but could not handle the towpath gravel areas. I got a puncture within 3 weeks of using them on country lanes. I will give them back.

I bought on sale from Planet-X, some Vittoria Randonners - front is the Hyper and the rear is the Cross Pro. Hyper is slicker and looks like 40c, pumped up to 60 psi it's very comfy and reassuring and fairly light too. The Randonnerur Cross Pro has deeper tread and is 38c, slightly heavier than the Hypers. Because they are folding tyres, I found them very hard to fit on the rims without the help of 2 grip ties.

I've also added a strip of Panaracer FlatAway kevlar tyre liners, which are very light and doesn't cut the tyre over time.

pottolom

Postby pottolom » 12 May 2013, 6:22pm

Wow! A lot of answers here. A lot to think about. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Have any of you tried the Continental Travel Contacts? They look interesting. Supposedly quite good puncture-wise, semi-slick down the middle for roads, etc but knobbly on the sides, which might be good for cornering in wet conditions and for rougher surfaces?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 May 2013, 8:09pm

pottolom wrote:Wow! A lot of answers here. A lot to think about. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Have any of you tried the Continental Travel Contacts? They look interesting. Supposedly quite good puncture-wise, semi-slick down the middle for roads, etc but knobbly on the sides, which might be good for cornering in wet conditions and for rougher surfaces?

I read a blog about a couple on a world tour,they needed rear tyres somewhere in the USA in the Rockies(?).They'de been riding Marathon XR's but the shop they stopped at only had one left and a Conti TC.He had the XR,she the TC.The TC was down to the canvas before the XR showed signs of any wear despite him carrying more weight :shock:
PS, Mara XR's were the forerunner of Mara Mondial,some say the same tyre renamed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 May 2013, 11:43pm

rogerzilla wrote: ...... but that really is it, apart from old tubes just letting go while the bike is stored. I average less than one puncture per year, maybe one every three years......

-oooh blimey you've said it now..... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 13 May 2013, 10:34pm

M+ is rough as 'ell and weigh 3x as much as a marathon racer or Kojak. I would suggest looking at the route you take - I get as many/less punctures on my current commute than I used to on a one mile each way, which was across a park. Now on Kojaks, was on M+. Frankly, most things that will puncture a tyre will latch on and work their way through an M+, if you want to stick with them, you need to routinely clean them.
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

JonMcD

Postby JonMcD » 15 May 2013, 3:12pm

san0 wrote:I bought on sale from Planet-X, some Vittoria Randonners - front is the Hyper and the rear is the Cross Pro. Hyper is slicker and looks like 40c, pumped up to 60 psi it's very comfy and reassuring and fairly light too. The Randonnerur Cross Pro has deeper tread and is 38c, slightly heavier than the Hypers. Because they are folding tyres, I found them very hard to fit on the rims without the help of 2 grip ties.

I have never used folding tyres before but I have just fitted some Vittoria Voyager Hyper 32-622 folding tyres (the new name for Randonneur Hypers) and had similar difficulty. Before fitting they have an almost flat cross section and they were determined to stay flat as I struggled to fit them. If I ever had to fit one of them on ride when I had cold hands, I doubt if I could. As they start with an almost flat cross section the sidewalls must stretch as the tyre is inflated - an odd concept to me, or perhaps I have got the topology wrong.

Is this normal for folding tyres, or is the Vittoria Randonneur Hyper unusual?

Vladimir

Postby Vladimir » 15 May 2013, 9:13pm

I quite like my schwalbe big apples. They're a good compromise between the marathon plus and the kojak, both of which I've tried for hundreds of miles.

pottolom

Postby pottolom » 21 Jun 2013, 1:47pm

I ended up going for the Continental Travel Contacts.

I've had them on for a few weeks now and they seem to be holding up well. Only one puncture so far, but that was a 2 cm shard of glass that somehow ended up going right through the tyre, through the inner tube and piercing the inner tube on its other side too! The glass snapped in two and I ended up pulling a piece out of the tyre, and the other piece was rattling around inside the tube..... I don't blame this on the tyres - I think that shard would have got through anything. I told you my commute went over some rough, glassy ground!

Rolling resistance is minimal and they feel grippy.

By the way, that glass shard did leave a small hole in the tyre. I was concerned another small piece of glass would get stuck in this hole at some point and cause another puncture, so I filled it with some Loctite Super Glue Power Flex Gel which seems to have worked better than I'd hoped. The hole has now all but disappeared and I've probably done another 50 miles on the tyre since with no problems.

dbascent1986

Postby dbascent1986 » 21 Jun 2013, 9:02pm

1500 miles on continental contact sport and one puncture - they do ride much nicer than the M+ but essentially road tyres - might do very light trail - if the puncture rate is only one every couple of thousand miles will stick with them - if not may go for M Supremes

ateliernorden

Postby ateliernorden » 12 Aug 2013, 1:06pm

Covered 1000 miles of the JOGLE and 6 months commuting on a set of Marathon Racers and not one puncture, swapped for Conti Gatorskins two weeks ago and had 5 punctures in 300 mile. Going back to the lovely reliable Schwalbe.