Broken (?) Legend etrex?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nhammy

Broken (?) Legend etrex?

Post by Nhammy »

Bowling happily down a hill in Devon last weekend my Garmin Legend HCx bounced out of its mounting and onto the road. Almost certainly my fault for not putting it on properly I suspect. Everything about it works except it will not pick up satellites. Which of course means it doesn't really work at all, but also suggests that perhaps the aerial has come loose and if it could be put back it might still work. Does anyone with a greater knowledge of these things than me know whether that might be plausible and if so how to get inside the unit and once there what to do? Or am I looking at a replacement or a return to paper technology for navigating?

Cheers
yakdiver

Re: Broken (?) Legend etrex?

Post by yakdiver »

Don't mess with it and get in touch with
Garmin (Europe) Ltd.
Liberty House
Hounsdown Business Park
Southampton
Hampshire
SO40 9RB
Bus: 023 8052 4000
If it can't be repaired you may get a recon at reduced price
Nhammy

Post by Nhammy »

Thanks yakdiver, that is indeed the sensible thing to do
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

The old Etrex range had a fitment for a lanyard. That lanyard should be fitted and looped around some part of your bike. Then you would not have this problem. There are numerous posts on this very issue on this forum. It should not be necessary for everyone to learn the same lessons the hard way.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
jb

Post by jb »

There is no aerial in a GPS, depending on the model and age it should beable to stand a few knocks so they might give you a good discount bearing in mind they make most of their profits off the software.
Cheers
J Bro
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

jb wrote:There is no aerial in a GPS,.....

There is an aerial in a GPS. it is how it picks up the satellites signals. It is inside the housing.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Before I say anything else Have you tried a factory rest of the unit. It involves pressing and holding of various keys.

If the above has failed, There is a ribbon cable in side which tends to become slightly dislodged when the units is dropped, there are you tube vidoes on how to disassemble the unit and rebuild if you feel you want to go down that route. I believe garmin will still service the legend, I am assuming the old blue cased one. When I dropped mine about 4 years ago and sent it off for fixing they charged £45 but I was sent a brand new unit as a replacement rather than a refurbishment.
NUKe

Post by jb »

Neil Mc Ivor wrote:

There is an aerial in a GPS. it is how it picks up the satellites signals. It is inside the housing.

OK, but from the ones I've seen its not what you would recognise as an aerial, just another chip on the circuit board with no wires to become disconnected.
Cheers
J Bro
philg

Post by philg »

jb wrote:
Neil Mc Ivor wrote:

OK, but from the ones I've seen its not what you would recognise as an aerial, just another chip on the circuit board with no wires to become disconnected.

It's a patch antenna - seen Here in the last picture with MS50 written on it

(The above website might help you)

When my Legend died, I sent it back to Garmin with a cheque for £75 and they sent me a reconditioned unit in exchange.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
byegad

Post by byegad »

The Mechanic wrote:The old Etrex range had a fitment for a lanyard. That lanyard should be fitted and looped around some part of your bike. Then you would not have this problem. There are numerous posts on this very issue on this forum. It should not be necessary for everyone to learn the same lessons the hard way.

Yes mine is always tethered to the bike as well as in the clamp.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
ossie

Post by ossie »

byegad wrote:
The Mechanic wrote:The old Etrex range had a fitment for a lanyard. That lanyard should be fitted and looped around some part of your bike. Then you would not have this problem. There are numerous posts on this very issue on this forum. It should not be necessary for everyone to learn the same lessons the hard way.

Yes mine is always tethered to the bike as well as in the clamp.

I religiously do the same having read many posts of people watching their Etrex bounce down the road. I do however find the mount very poorly designed, mine never clips in easy and sometimes rattles unless I turn it to a bit of an angle.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

While on the subject, if anyone has a spare clip for an eTrex HCx (the one that comes with the unit), I'd love to buy it... mine snapped and Garmin can no longer provide a replacement. I now have two mounts for the two bikes, but no way of using them :(
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Nhammy

Post by Nhammy »

Have just returned to this thread after a fwe days away. Thanks for all the helpful tips. Will have a rummage around the unit tonight and post how I get on. Re the lanyard - coulda, shoulda woulda! A lesson learned for next time.....