Hybrid Tyre Choice 700 x 38c

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Maverick777

Hybrid Tyre Choice 700 x 38c

Post by Maverick777 »

Following a purchase of a Specialized Crosstrail 2012 Hybrid Bike. I want to change the tyres from the Specialized Borough XC Sport 700×45c to something more road orientated without looking silly and thinking along the lines of either:-

SPECIALIZED INFINITY REFLECT 700C x 38 URBAN TYRE = £19.99
Panaracer Tour Guard Breaker and Reflect Tyre - 700c x 38 £19.99
Schwalbe Marathon Plus Bike Tyre 700 x 38c £27.19

I quite like the idea of the reflective wall and security of puncture protection. Thoughts on a Post Card please?

Attachments
specialized-crosstrail-2012-hybrid-bike.jpg
niggle

Re: Hybrid Tyre Choice 700 x 38c

Post by niggle »

If you are looking for performance then you can buy Marathon Racer lightweight folding tyres (with reflective sidewall band) for a very attractive £19.99 in 38mm at Planet X at the moment:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYS ... lding_tyre

Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=71350
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

+1 for the Racers. A step up in quality and a nicer ride than any on your shortlist, all of which are perfectly good tyres. Marathon Plus have a harsh wooden ride and I only recommend them when punctures really need to be avoided at all costs. (e.g. rear wheel of an internal hub, drum braked, commuter)
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

Thanks, purchased two, cracking deal!

:D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

But I want to change the tyres from the Specialized Borough XC Sport 700×45c to something more road orientated

Two others worth a look.
Panaracer Ribmo's in 700x35mm.They roll well are very puncture resistant and due to their supple carcass ride very nicely.
I'm currently trying out a pair of Vittoria Randonneur Hypers in 700x37mm it's early days(200miles) but they roll very well,and are very comfortable.
You may want to take a look at this article:-
http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

without looking silly

Could you define that please?

I pasted this from the other thread,the Racers are a good choice you should be Ok with them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

The bike is an XXL and I think skinny tyres would look odd(silly) :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Maverick777 wrote:The bike is an XXL and I think skinny tyres would look odd(silly) :lol:

More importantly they'd be more uncomfortable :wink:
W H Auden
niggle

Post by niggle »

reohn2 wrote:I'm currently trying out a pair of Vittoria Randonneur Hypers in 700x37mm it's early days(200miles) but they roll very well,and are very comfortable.
You may want to take a look at this article:-
http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

I have a pair of 35mm Vittoria Randonneur Hypers (which Planet X were selling for £19.99 but all gone now) ready to go on my touring bike whenever the heck I get around to building it :roll: , but it should be noted that they are now known as Vittoria Voyager Hypers. Most reviews on line are very good and they come right up to the marked size, but they are probably not as puncture resistant as an M+ (not a problem for me, I am tempting fate but I really don't seem to be a puncture magnet, only get about one every year or so).

I am becoming a fan of "top of the range" Vittoria tyres, lovely tyres to ride (currently running Rubino Pros on Genesis Equilibrium and they ride very nicely with no punctures in over 5k miles) and better value than the other name brand equivalents (Schwalbe, Continental)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

niggle wrote:I have a pair of 35mm Vittoria Randonneur Hypers (which Planet X were selling for £19.99 but all gone now) ready to go on my touring bike whenever the heck I get around to building it :roll: , but it should be noted that they are now known as Vittoria Voyager Hypers. Most reviews on line are very good and they come right up to the marked size,

Yes those are the ones :) .Mine are 700x37mm(measuring 35x35mm on a touring rim) I'm really liking the ride a lot,nice flexible carcass and the rubber feels very well,err,rubbery if know what I mean,like Paselas.They're slightly heavier than Vittoria's w/site says,425g not 395g but I'm not complaining.
I've been riding them on tarmac and gravelly roads and tracks,they float :D

but they are probably not as puncture resistant as an M+

But then I don't mind the odd puncture with the ride quality they offer,M+'s ride quality is notable by its absence :?
(not a problem for me, I am tempting fate but I really don't seem to be a puncture magnet, only get about one every year or so).

I'm usually in that category but i've managed three this year :( ,none in Hypers though :)

I am becoming a fan of "top of the range" Vittoria tyres, lovely tyres to ride (currently running Rubino Pros on Genesis Equilibrium and they ride very nicely with no punctures in over 5k miles) and better value than the other name brand equivalents (Schwalbe, Continental)

If the Hypers do a good enough job I'll be looking into trying other Vittoria tyres,I'd be particularly interested in the Rubino Pro 700x28mm.
W H Auden
niggle

Post by niggle »

reohn2 wrote:If the Hypers do a good enough job I'll be looking into trying other Vittoria tyres,I'd be particularly interested in the Rubino Pro 700x28mm.

That is what I am using on the Genesis, they measure 26mm on a 15mm rim but it does not matter as they ride really well. Best price in the UK: http://www.highonbikes.com/wheels-tyres ... ci7q9gs2Sp They were a bit slithery in the wet for the first few miles but fine once scrubbed in. They ride well, are comfortable for a road tyre and are also wearing very well, zero punctures in about 6000 miles. I am also impressed by the general quality of production and durability, the rear is looking worn now but not totally gone yet.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks for the link,I like High on Bikes I get good service from them :) .
W H Auden
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

Tyres arrived just now. That's prompt! :shock:
meic

Post by meic »

niggle wrote:
reohn2 wrote:If the Hypers do a good enough job I'll be looking into trying other Vittoria tyres,I'd be particularly interested in the Rubino Pro 700x28mm.

That is what I am using on the Genesis, they measure 26mm on a 15mm rim but it does not matter as they ride really well. Best price in the UK: http://www.highonbikes.com/wheels-tyres ... ci7q9gs2Sp They were a bit slithery in the wet for the first few miles but fine once scrubbed in. They ride well, are comfortable for a road tyre and are also wearing very well, zero punctures in about 6000 miles. I am also impressed by the general quality of production and durability, the rear is looking worn now but not totally gone yet.

I slightly challenge your best price

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... itttyrf610

Cheaper here if you buy a pair or otherwise spend £35. Then at this moment another 10% off if you spend over £50*.
Sorry for leading people into temptation.

*The Campagnolo C9 chains are a good buy.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... itttyrf610

Cheaper here if you buy a pair or otherwise spend £35. Then at this moment another 10% off if you spend over £50*.
Sorry for leading people into temptation.

Yer wicked you are :|

*The Campagnolo C9 chains are a good buy.

But will they last twice as long as these:- http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CHS ... (114_links) :mrgreen:
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

My expectation is that they will last three times as long.

The results of my experiments will hopefully be a long time in coming.
Yma o Hyd