Hybrid Tyre Choice 700 x 38c

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Maverick777

Re: Hybrid Tyre Choice 700 x 38c

Postby Maverick777 » 26 Jun 2013, 5:49pm

Hello,

What's with the different tyre pressures?

Cheers

:?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Jun 2013, 6:04pm

Maverick777 wrote:Hello,

What's with the different tyre pressures?

Cheers

:?

Tyre pressures(TP) relate to tyre size,suppleness and size for load carried,the weight distribution on a bicycle depends on riding position and where and if any other load is carried.
That weight distribution is usually around 40%front,60%rear so the front tyre needn't have as higher TP as the rear,which can help a lot with comfort and safety.
To read more on it see here:- http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf.

PS,I have to confess to having a bit of a rubber fetish :shock: and so bore the pants of the rest of the forum on this issue :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

niggle

Postby niggle » 26 Jun 2013, 6:26pm

reohn2 wrote:Tyre pressures(TP) relate to tyre size,suppleness and size for load carried,the weight distribution on a bicycle depends on riding position and where and if any other load is carried.
That weight distribution is usually around 40%front,60%rear so the front tyre needn't have as higher TP as the rear,which can help a lot with comfort and safety.
To read more on it see here:- http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf.

+1 and the idea is to get the tyre to 'drop' by an ideal 15%, which is what they are meant to do to get the right balance between rolling resistance and comfort. It follows from this that heavier loads need larger tyres, or you will have to pump tyres too high to avoid pinch flats so will get poor ride quality, plus increased rolling resistance due to the slowing effect of bumps. Rough surfaces also require larger tyres for the same reasons. Another major factor is the suppleness of the side walls.
reohn2 wrote:PS,I have to confess to having a bit of a rubber fetish :shock: and so bore the pants of the rest of the forum on this issue :)

I have exactly the same issue, I suggest we avoid meeting :shock:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Jun 2013, 7:56pm

niggle wrote:.......I have exactly the same issue, I suggest we avoid meeting :shock:

Oh,i don't know it could mutually "beneficial" :shock: :shock: :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.