Parts Upgrade advice?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Maverick777

Parts Upgrade advice?

Post by Maverick777 »

Hi,

Re: Specialized Crosstrail (2012)

I have the aforementioned bike and as I go would like to upgrade parts if cost effective. I've already changed the tyres to Schwalbe Marathon Racer Raceguard Folding Tyre's and Shimano front and fitted new Shimano Deore MTB Skewer's and Shimano PD-M530 pedals.

These are the specs http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... rail#specs

What do you think would add benefit?

Thanks
Erudin

Re: Parts Upgrade advice?

Post by Erudin »

If the handlebars are steel I'd replace them with alloy bars.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

The only thing I would suggest for that bike is some nicer wheels, as after market ones will usually out perform stock. Other than that it's a good bike, enjoy it.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Maverick777 wrote:What do you think would add benefit?

Riding it more and thinking about it less.

The basic crosstrail you have is a perfectly good bike with brakes and gears that work well, reasonably strong wheels with double-walled rims and a cassette hub etc. If you want something lighter, faster, slicker shifting etc. it's more cost effective to buy another bike, especially second-hand, than to upgrade, unless you seek out ebay and clearance bargains. Upgrading entry-level bikes with new parts is not economically sensible unless they are worn out and need replacing. Specialized buy milions of parts at discounts retailers, let alone the public, can only dream of so the retail cost of the parts on your bike, excluding frame and fork, is more than the new cost of the whole bike.

Ride it more and work out what you like and don't like about it and look at how that can be improved. The most sensible and cost-effective upgrades are usually to the contact points; to grips and/or bar-ends, saddle, and pedals that suit you, and to tyres, as you have done, which can improve the ride or be more suitable for your preferred surfaces.

The other thing which might significantly lighten the bike and improve the ride woudl be the fork. IIRC your fork has no lockout for on-road riding or climbing out of the saddle? And it is quite heavy. Consider either a light, suspension corrected rigid fork, or a plusher suspension fork with lock-out, but be aware that a really good suspension fork will easily cost as much as the bike.
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

Thanks for the tips and advice, I would prefer to keep the bike as I quite like the simple neutral black & white colour. I fancy the lock outforks , any recommendations?

Thanks
honesty

Post by honesty »

This way madness lies (trust me! ;))

Looking at the spec it seems to be pretty decent, but mid-lower end, shimano stuff for the drive train. You could upgrade this but it would cost a lot for not very much benefit. You'd be better riding it and replacing with higher end spec when it wears out. As its 8 speed you are going to be a bit stuck as to what to get unless you replace the whole lot at once, which will cost.

Brakes dont seem to be anything special, but if they work there is not point replacing them. If they are not great I'd look at going for some Deore V brakes or equivalent.

The greatest difference you will notice is by removing weight from the outside of the wheels. Less weight to spin up and slow down therefore less effort and quicker to accelerate and brake. You've already started that by changing out the tyres. If you want to upgrade anything I would look at the wheels. Weight at the hub is far less important that weight at the rim.

Another option would be to change for more expensive forks with a lock out facility so you are not bobbing up and down all the time on tarmac, or change for a ridged fork, but then again what would be the point of buying this bike if you didn't want suspension!
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

Hi,

Just a thought, my partner has a GT Traffic 2.0 2011 Hybrid Bike, are the parts better on that bike which I could use on my bike?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... 4#features
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

It is rarely cost effective upgrading parts on a bike unless parts need replacing, what will you do with the replaced parts? It would probably have been more cost effective to have bought the higher spec version of the bike in the first place.

The main improvements as mentioned by another contributor would be to concentrate on the contact points between you and the bike. Replacing the saddle, handlebar grips and pedals maybe increase the ride comfort of your bike. These can also be easily transferred to another bike in the future and therefore can be an investment not a cost.

The bike you have chosen is a compromise between a mountain bike and a hybrid bike. It has suspension forks which adds 1kg plus more of weight compared to a light weight rigid fork. If you don't ride on very rough terrain you would be better off having a hybrid with a light weight rigid fork like the GT. If you have replaced the original tyres with light weight tyres are you saying that you only ride on road and slightly rough ground in which case the suspension forks are simply adding unnecessary weight. However replacing the suspension forks would not be cheap.

If you are suggesting taking the parts off your partners bike and putting them on yours, besides the fact that the parts may be incompatible, the fact is that the cost of labour in swapping the parts over might be £100 plus.

I've just seen your other posting about a replacement suspension fork with a remote lockout. Such a fork would cost at least £150 plus the cost of fitting it. You would only need such a fork if you were riding very rough mountain bike tracks and wanted to lock out the fork without stopping.
Last edited by Wesh-Laurence on 26 Jun 2013, 2:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

Hi,

The roads were I live can be a bit potted, hence the suspension forks. However if I was able to upgrade certain parts, I will do for as cheaply as possible. The tyres had RRP of nearly £40 each and thanks to other members I replaced for £19.99 each, the pedals I sorced for £10.00 cheaper, and the Ergon GP1's were found at £18.50. Just a thought, my partner has a GT Traffic 2.0 2011 Hybrid Bike, are the parts better on that bike which I could use on my bike?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... 4#features
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Maverick777 wrote:[color=#0000FF]Hi,

The roads were I live can be a bit potted, hence the suspension forks.

You don't need suspension forks for that, normal rigid forks are designed to cope with that type of terrain. Suspension forks are only really for proper off road, hitting rocks and tree roots head on etc.
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

I think you have done well as far as keeping costs down with the sensible "upgrades" you have made. I don't think other "upgrades" would be worthwhile on the Cross Trail frame.

You will, as you get more into cycling find that you want different bikes for different purposes. I started off 5 years ago with a folding bike and now I also have a light weight bike for touring, a full suspension mountain bike and a day to day light weight hybrid (shopping bike).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Wesh-Laurence wrote:I think you have done well as far as keeping costs down with the sensible "upgrades" you have made. I don't think other "upgrades" would be worthwhile on the Cross Trail frame.

You will, as you get more into cycling find that you want different bikes for different purposes. I started off 5 years ago with a folding bike and now I also have a light weight bike for touring, a full suspension mountain bike and a day to day light weight hybrid (shopping bike).

You need one more than that.
Wesh-Laurence

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

My 5th bike is in the post. Well at least the frameset & forks are in the post I've got the rest of the parts here ready for me to build the bike.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Wesh-Laurence wrote:My 5th bike is in the post.

You need one more than that.
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Others have mentioned replacing the wheels and that the gears / deraillers are low end ones. Whilst you can get better wheels and gears these are consumable items and I would be inclined to only replace these when the originals are worn out or broken. As for the suspension fork, you could get a better one (lighter, adjustable damping, air sprung, remote lock out) and such a fork would give tangible benefits. I disgree with those advocating replacement with a rigid fork.