Campag shifters and hubs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

Re: Campag shifters and hubs

Post by JohnW »

Brucey wrote:I would argue that the LBS failed there; they should have been able to remove a (small, useless) cog from an 8s cassette and fit that.

£15 instead of £350.

cheers

Well no Brucey - he'd been through that, but the chain and sprockets were eventually thoroughly worn and definitely needed replacing - I know, I didn't say that, sorry about that, I thought I had.

He'd also been up the road of putting the smallest chainrings that the (double) chainset would take, keeping the range within that of the front changer, but he really needed a triple.

He'd done all the £15 type improvements that he could. His cheapest long-term option would have been to get some downtube friction levers and upgrade the other 'departments' bit by bit as the miles went by. However, the persuasive influence of irrational fashion had attacked him.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

OK -it would have to be a triple with a ring missing most likely- but an alpine double, chain, and 7 from 8 cassette is still only a £100 job not a £350 job....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
niggle

Post by niggle »

gfk_velo wrote:Triple compatibility - UltraShift is NOT triple compatible - I know it looks and feels like it should be, but it isn't. The only new-shape lever designed to be triple compatible is the LH lever supplied with Veloce 3 x 10 and Athena 3 x 11. Use a Campag chainset and the correct FD correctly mounted and it works very well indeed - again, play fast and loose with the rules & it won't work well, if at all.

Thanks for all the details, this bit caught my eye as I have a pair of Veloce Ultrashift ergos, allegedly 2010, which are unused and still in the box. The instructions in the box, entitled 'Ergopower Ultra-shift control levers' say re front shifting 'Move lever on the LH by 3 or 4 notches to raise the chain on the front derailleur to upper chain ring. For a triple crankset, repeat the operation to position the chain on the largest chainring'. This sounds as if at least some Ultrashift ergos are triple compatible to me, and if so how can I know if mine are without installing and trying them out?

(It does, however, state that Ultra-shift controls are not compatible with QS front derailleurs.)
CJ

Post by CJ »

Brucey wrote:I would argue that the LBS failed there; they should have been able to remove a (small, useless) cog from an 8s cassette and fit that.

Or more obviously compatible: buy a Shimano 13-34 7-speed cassette, still available in Germany, or in UK simply by mail from www.rosebikes.co.uk.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

gfk_velo wrote:Triple compatibility - UltraShift is NOT triple compatible - I know it looks and feels like it should be, but it isn't. The only new-shape lever designed to be triple compatible is the LH lever supplied with Veloce 3 x 10 and Athena 3 x 11. Use a Campag chainset and the correct FD correctly mounted and it works very well indeed - again, play fast and loose with the rules & it won't work well, if at all.
I'm having some difficulty understanding this :?

As well as Veloce and Athena triple there's also Centuar triple. In previous years there was the Comp Triple 'part groupset', where you were expected to pair up Ultrashift levers to the Comp's components. These levers were triple as well as double compatible, surely? Anyway, I use Centuar and Veloce 2010 US levers with triple chainsets with no issues up front. There's enough cable pull from the LH lever, so surely that makes it triple compatible. What am I missing?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

CREPELLO wrote:I use Centuar and Veloce 2010 US levers with triple chainsets with no issues up front. There's enough cable pull from the LH lever, so surely that makes it triple compatible. What am I missing?
The way I read the compatibility post is that up to 2010 LH Ultrashift Ergos were triple compatible. Post 2010 they are not. If you remember, post 2010 Campag made some changes to the levers and also restyled the rear mechs. I use 2010 Centaur with a Comp triple and I am sure that on the Campag website there is a compatibility chart which shows these are the last of the levers that are guaranteed to work with first generation 10 speed mechs. I will hunt around for that chart and add it later if I find it.

Edited - this is the chart, at the top of the search page. http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/search ... Findex.jsp Unfortunately it does not answer the triple question.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sorry to digress slightly but I hope to benefit from this wealth of knowledge about all things Campag! My problem is my R-hand Veloce QS shifter, c.2007, whose nasty plastic ratchet wheel is now worn so it drops several sprockets at a flick of the thumb switch. Q1: does anyone think I can get this repaired; Q2 if not, will the current 10 speed shifters available work with my rear mech?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

check the campag website technical documents for the exploded dwg of the shifter, find the part number for the parts, and see if you can get them.

BTW older campag shifters were very repairable, but spare parts availability for more recent stuff is a bit patchy. I can't be sure, but your trouble could be broken/worn G springs. They need doing once every 15000 miles or so.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~