Cured a creak

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Cured a creak

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 23 Jul 2013, 11:08am

Hi,
CREPELLO wrote:
Mick F wrote:but never ever thought about the long alu bolt above its threads.

Blimey, is the draw bolt really aluminium? :shock:

My thoughts exactely :?
May be its not but exotic Titainium :?:
Aluminium alloy (some) can have a high tensile strengh but for safety I would use steel and its probably I would bet not Aluminium of sort :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 23 Jul 2013, 11:27am

IIRC -thanks for the reminder Mick- the draw bolt is aluminium. Before these parts were supplied by Cinelli, similar ones were supplied by OMAS (I think) as upgrades for 1A stems. They may even have come out of the same factory ( a lot of stuff got made in Italy under subcon).

I would say it is quite strong enough for the intended application, but won't be proof against the effects of corrosion and/or fatigue in the long term. Whipping it out and inspecting it once every few years isn't a bad idea at all.

BTW when my expander and bolt have been declared too heavy or too rusty, I have sometimes fabricated a replacement in stainless steel, with an aluminium wedge piece. I generally make the main part of the bolt length from 1/4" OD stainless steel tube, with a threaded section and the hexagon section welded on at each end. An M6 thread is strong enough if you don't go loopy tightening it (which isn't necessary unless you are planning on routine massive countersteering ). My hollow bolt and wedge piece are about as light as the Cinelli 1R parts, (and much lighter than solid steel 1A originals...) but are of course much more likely to survive in the long run.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dbascent1986

Postby dbascent1986 » 23 Jul 2013, 12:16pm

My commiserations - had a creak when climbing - (Shimano Alfine 8) - I am never quite sure what cured it but the LBS (Evans) re-tensioned the crank/EBB and I bought a KMC Single Speed chain. On a previous bike the creaking was coming from the saddle. Other times the rear axle nuts needed adjusting. I am currently creak free, on the bike, that is.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Jul 2013, 4:33pm

Brucey wrote:I would say it is quite strong enough for the intended application, but won't be proof against the effects of corrosion and/or fatigue in the long term. Whipping it out and inspecting it once every few years isn't a bad idea at all.
Long term?

The stem went into the steerer in late 1986 and has done many many hard years. Goodness knows how many miles in 27years - maybe 120,000miles?
Mick F. Cornwall

karlt

Postby karlt » 23 Jul 2013, 8:12pm

I have a creak. Damned if I know where it's coming from. It's worst when I'm thrashing it uphill out of the saddle in the big ring. Does it do it on the stand? Does it [rude word removed].

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jul 2013, 7:02am

Mine could not be replicated unless I was riding. Damned annoying.

Creaks for me in the past have usually been the seat post clamp where it grips the saddle rails. No matter how tight I made it, it still creaked. I had to strip it all down and grease everything then re-assemble. It took me ages to track the creak down when it first appeared - the noise seemed to be coming from everywhere. It's happened a few times now and I'm ready for it, but this latest one had me completely mystified.

A creak when you're out of the saddle can't be the saddle of course. Possible culprits are the 'bars and the stem, or perhaps the brake hoods. It could possibly be a pedal bearing or even a shoe or cleat. Some folk tell of chainring bolts making creaking and clicking noises and even bottom brackets under load.
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 24 Jul 2013, 9:44am

Hi,
Ear Plugs............ :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

fatty

Postby fatty » 24 Jul 2013, 11:21pm

My really annoying creak was aroun the bottom bracket and I was convinced it was the bb... But no play at all in bearings..

Turned out it was a dry joint between bottom bracket and bb shell... Little touch a grease and lovely lovely silence....