Clueless about clipless

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robc02

Re: Clueless about clipless

Post by robc02 »

Cherwell wrote:I’ve been using SPDs and am now reviewing whether to continue with them or not. The problem that no one has mentioned is that if you need to stop suddenly and can’t disengage quickly enough you fall over. This has happened to me twice in the last year. After the last time, I stopped using them and just use flat pedals. I have not noticed any difference in ‘pedalling efficiency’ and was in a situation where I was able to put my foot down and not fall over where if I had been clipped in I would have done. I am questioning whether the disadvantages of having your feet attached to the pedals outweigh the advantages.

It might be worth trying to borrow some Crank Brothers' pedals. As I said in my post above, I found them very easy to release from, significantly easier than Time, though haven't been able to compare them to SPDs. (I bet someone on here has, though). It made life much easier when off roading where, with my level of skill anyway, it is often necessary to disengage in a hurry!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the SPDs are going in the bin otherwise anyway, maybe you can try some experiments? At its easiest, an SPD cleat can almost fall out of a pedal with no effort at all. However incompatible, brand new, or badly adjusted pedals won't release anything like so easily. So things to look at;

1) check for system compatibility. Are the pedals/cleats/shoes genuine SPDs or copies? If genuine, are the cleats (there are several models) the right ones for the pedals?

2) adjust the release tension. There is a screw adjuster on the pedal; it is best to set it on minimum. On this setting, a bare shoe that is clipped in should pop out with just a tug from your pinkie. Remember that some shoe/pedal combinations can cause the sole of the shoe to foul on the pedal, so if the release isn't very free even when set on min, so check for this. With one pair of (non shimano) shoes I had to whittle the rubber in the shoe sole away in strategic places near the cleat mounting to get a clean release.

2) modify the cleats. Worn cleats usually release more easily, (provided the rear claw hasn't worn a groove in the back of the cleat). A little strategic grinding at the back of the cleat can make for an easier release.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

karlt wrote:I found that commuting just putting a foot down at lights (I tend to lean the bike towards the foot down side so that I'm not en pointe as it were owing to not being particularly well co-ordinated) was enough to wear the left road cleat out in around 6 months. Was costing me a fortune in cleats. That's why I changed to SPD.
This has been gently nagging at me since you wrote this, and today whilst riding into town I took note of my "style".

My cleats do not touch the ground when I stop.

I have my saddle height so that when my heel is on the pedal, my leg is straight.
My BB height is such that when I put both my feet down on the ground, I am at full stretch and on my tippy-toes.

Therefore when I put a foot down at a junction/traffic lights, it's only the very tip of my shoe that touches, and my cleat isn't worn away.
Mick F. Cornwall
karlt

Post by karlt »

Mick F wrote:
karlt wrote:I found that commuting just putting a foot down at lights (I tend to lean the bike towards the foot down side so that I'm not en pointe as it were owing to not being particularly well co-ordinated) was enough to wear the left road cleat out in around 6 months. Was costing me a fortune in cleats. That's why I changed to SPD.
This has been gently nagging at me since you wrote this, and today whilst riding into town I took note of my "style".

My cleats do not touch the ground when I stop.

I have my saddle height so that when my heel is on the pedal, my leg is straight.
My BB height is such that when I put both my feet down on the ground, I am at full stretch and on my tippy-toes.

Therefore when I put a foot down at a junction/traffic lights, it's only the very tip of my shoe that touches, and my cleat isn't worn away.

Ah. My saddle height is equally set, but as I said I lean the bike because of co-ordination issues. Or use a kerb. Or come forward off the saddle and straddle the crossbar. Either way, it means that my cleats do contact the road. I find I get cramp as well if I hold with a foot just on tiptoe for any length of time.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Brucey wrote:if the SPDs are going in the bin otherwise anyway, maybe you can try some experiments? At its easiest, an SPD cleat can almost fall out of a pedal with no effort at all. However incompatible, brand new, or badly adjusted pedals won't release anything like so easily. So things to look at;

1) check for system compatibility. Are the pedals/cleats/shoes genuine SPDs or copies? If genuine, are the cleats (there are several models) the right ones for the pedals?

2) adjust the release tension. There is a screw adjuster on the pedal; it is best to set it on minimum. On this setting, a bare shoe that is clipped in should pop out with just a tug from your pinkie. Remember that some shoe/pedal combinations can cause the sole of the shoe to foul on the pedal, so if the release isn't very free even when set on min, so check for this. With one pair of (non shimano) shoes I had to whittle the rubber in the shoe sole away in strategic places near the cleat mounting to get a clean release.

2) modify the cleats. Worn cleats usually release more easily, (provided the rear claw hasn't worn a groove in the back of the cleat). A little strategic grinding at the back of the cleat can make for an easier release.

cheers

Yes; I've been using clipless for a couple of years but I still have the tension set very low; I've not pulled a foot out accidentally yet so I see no value in going tighter.
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

Many thanks to everyone thats posted in this thread there was loads of useful information about the pros and cons of each system which has enable me to do what I needed which was make an informed decision.

At first it seemed a no brainer to go for a pedal/shoe combo that I could walk in but as my wife pointed out if you can walk in them you WILL. What she meant was that instead of taking a walking shoe I'd be lazy and use the cycle shoe. As these shoes are expensive I don't want to wear them out unduly.

Anyway I ended up going for an SPD SL pedal. I should get them by the end of the week so I'll see then if I made the right decision.

Any advice on learning to use them without injuring myself. My Aunt has demanded that I check my Will is in order (seriously!) as she is convinced that I'll topple over at traffic lights and get run over by the car behind :shock:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I don't follow your wife's logic at all.
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

Mark1978 wrote:I don't follow your wife's logic at all.

:) nor do I most of the time!

during the hot weather I cycled to work then after work we met up on Hampstead Heath for a picnic supper. If I'd had cycle shoes I could have walked in normally I would just have used them. In a short period of time I'd end up having to buy a new pair of expensive cycle shoes ( I under-pronate quite badly) If the shoes aren't walkable for more than 20 meters in then I'd be forced to take another pair thus getting much more use from the cycle shoes.

There were other reasons I went for the SPD SL's
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

LondonBikeCommuter wrote: ....There were other reasons I went for the SPD SL's....

do tell...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~