Paging Brucey - Sturmey Hub Tweak advice :-)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Snowflake

Paging Brucey - Sturmey Hub Tweak advice :-)

Post by Snowflake »

Brucey et al,

Having a minor problem with my Sturmey XRD5(w), it manifests as a tardiness to go from 4 to 5 (sometimes changes, other times engages after a few spins), and the occasional 'false neutral' as i would call them on my motorcycle!

Obviously the cable is either too slack or too tight, its which direction to starting adding turns in that defeats me.

As far as I can see the yellow line in position 2 is level with the outer axle, as directed, but the dilemma being there is a huge bit of plastic to guide the gear chain link that adds a certain level of parallax to the situation, for the want of a better description.

Guidance appreciated as ever!

Thanks in advance

S
Brucey

Re: Paging Brucey - Sturmey Hub Tweak advice :-)

Post by Brucey »

the first thing to understand is that the 4-5 and 5-4 shifts are not 'in' as soon as you move the control; both shifts should go in for sure only once you pedal forwards for one or two turns.

Inside the hub there is a spring-loaded sliding key (in the (W) version) which has to move, and it can't move until the sun pinions are correctly aligned. The sun pinions will only move into alignment when you are pedalling forwards, so that is what you must do, without applying any significant load.

If the cable adjustment is wrong, and/or the cable itself is the slightest bit daggy, or the key is damaged, or the shifting technique isn't right, then the shifts will be bad.

If you are unsure of the adjustment, you can check thus; in bottom gear the toggle chain should be almost as far out as it can possibly go. In top gear the toggle chain should be slack, i.e. as far in as it will go.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Snowflake

Re: Paging Brucey - Sturmey Hub Tweak advice :-)

Post by Snowflake »

Brucey,

Many thanks, in that case I may be chasing\creating a problem I don't have! I was not aware that 4-5 needed to 'engage' as such, it looks like I am interpreting normal behaviour as a fault.

I;ll check the toggle tension, just to be sure.

Thanks

S