Headset woes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bigjim

Headset woes

Post by bigjim »

Not come across this before. I've built a few bikes.
I'm rebuilding a bike with a 1" threaded headset. However I can't get the adjustable race to be loose enough to enable the fork to move correctly without there being play in the headset when I apply the front brake.
I've set it up by the book but it still won't adjust enough. If I take the play out of it the fork becomes too stiff? I did not have this problem before it was dismantled for spraying.
Any ideas?

Jim
Brucey

Re: Headset woes

Post by Brucey »

Some ideas;

a common cause of this is that one of the races isn't quite square to the frame.

Is it a matched set of parts? No mix-ups?

You don't say if it is a headset with cartridge bearings or seal rings, but some of these can be assembled wrongly in a non-obvious fashion.

Loose ball headsets with too many balls in do odd things, as do clipped races with the wrong (or bent) clips.

A rather sneaky one is that some headsets with loose balls have extra ridges inside them. If the balls move during reassembly (and it doesn't take much in some cases), they end up on the wrong side of the ridges and don't find their way back again. I've encountered Hatta 'swan road' and stronglight headsets that will do this, and there are probably others, too.

Finally a daft one this; has the head badge been reattached using fasteners that project inside the head tube?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Thanks.
Its the same as thishttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Bicycle_headset_exploded_view.png
Original fitting. Harry Hall bike 1990s.
No head badge.
Jim
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i've had that in the past, i'd cross threaded the top cup. :oops: i doubt it's happened to you but maybe worth checking
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

are the ball clips the right way up? IIRC one goes one way up and the other goes the other way up with a ritchey logic.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Cups not square to each other
Does the head-tube need "facing"?

Distorted cups due to being over forced in.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I will have to strip it down again and restart. Originally the crown race would not refit and was forced in by the LBS.
I'll have to check this is straight.
Upper and lower cups had also to be forced in with a rubber mallet. Facing looks like a big job to me.

Jim
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Hi
Going back in time. I've eventually got this sorted after leaving it to stew over the winter. Even the LBS could not sort it. Stripped headset down, Again! Clamped the cups down with wood blocks and a clamp and changed the bearing race around as there is no indication which way up it is supposed to be. Anyway now it's fine so bike is complete. Thanks all.