Shimano rear hub - freewheel fowards ??

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tb

Shimano rear hub - freewheel fowards ??

Post by tb »

Hi There

Am I asking alot of an old Shimano Uniglide freewheel ?

On my way home from work in Wembley with about 20 miles still to go the hub started ' freewheeling ' in both pedal rotations, backwards ( as you'd expect ) but also foward ?
In the dark I thought it was a chain problem, but no the hub was freewheeling in both directions.

Some months back I had noticed some ' cracking ' noise from the hub so I repalced the wheel bearings and greased up properly.

I managed to limp home on the night with very slow pedal movements and got home very late.

Question is ;

Is the hub knackered / is it worth repairing ?

thanks for any help,

Anthony
Brucey

Re: Shimano rear hub - freewheel fowards

Post by Brucey »

nine times out of ten this is water in the freewheel (or dried grease), causing the pawls to stick.

If you purge the freewheel body with WD40, then oil, it will usually spring back to life.

If it is a screw on freewheel then replacement is usually easiest at this stage, but you can overhaul the freewheel body if you want to.

If this doesn't work and it is a bolt-secured freehub (rather than a screw on freewheel), the body can be replaced (if you can get the right one). The freehub body can be overhauled in situ if required; if the body is riveted to the hubshell (as early uniglide) then the latter is your only choice, barring a new hub.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:nine times out of ten this is water in the freewheel (or dried grease), causing the pawls to stick.

If you purge the freewheel body with WD40, then oil, it will usually spring back to life.
cheers

Spot on!
I always remove the freehub body when servicing the hub,remove the rubber dust seal at the rear of the f/hub(spoke side) and flood it with TF2 until it's coming out the the bearing end.You can usually tell by the sound of it freewheeling(before assembly) as it sounds "sweeter"
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Brucey wrote:If this doesn't work and it is a bolt-secured freehub (rather than a screw on freewheel), the body can be replaced (if you can get the right one). The freehub body can be overhauled in situ if required; if the body is riveted to the hubshell (as early uniglide) then the latter is your only choice, barring a new hub.
cheers

Are you talking early freehub minus the hollow bolt :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.