26 in suspension forks with mudguard fittings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
terry_on_a_bike

26 in suspension forks with mudguard fittings

Post by terry_on_a_bike »

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a reasonably good quality set of suspension forks, for 26 in (MTB) wheel, that incorporate mudguard fittings?
I have a pair for 700c that have a hole in the bridge and mudguard eyes at the bottom of the forks, and I would like a pair for another bike that uses 26 in wheels.
I've tried all the usual on-line suspects without success.
Regards, Terry
bumper

Re: 26 in suspension forks with mudguard fittings

Post by bumper »

Get some of the stainless p clips that have a rubber cover. There's loads on eBay that are between 30-40mm.
terry_on_a_bike

OK, clips on order. While I was on eBay I also ordered a V-Brake booster plate which I reckon might provide me with a fixing for the top mudguard clip.
In a rather fetching neon green.
I'll let you know how I get on.
bumper

Post by bumper »

I've just ordered some too :thumbsup:
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Mudguards on mountain bikes tend to cause death, so I don't think manufacturers encourage their use by way of creating fixing points. A 700c suspension fork is all the more likely to have mudguard fixing points as their intended use is more like canal towpaths and not going down mountains on rough tracks.
I should coco.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Valbrona wrote:Mudguards on mountain bikes tend to cause death

Like a lot of things in mountain biking it probably has more to do with the current fashions and styling than anything. I get occasional comments about how my bike would look better if only I got rid of the guards. Personally I can't understand why you would want a brown stripe up your back after every ride and a face full of sheep dung during.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
terry_on_a_bike

I've finished the job now and very tidy it looks too (IMHO).
I used the stainless/rubber clips on the forks and a Tektro brake booster plate on the front (V brake) to get a mudguard bridge fixing.
I had to drill some new holes in the mudguard and move the bridge up a bit.
I'm not anticipating an early death because this is a 'trekking' bike that I am going to use for my 9 mile daily commute and there were no mountains last time I looked (Cambridge).
The bike came with 26in wheels and and a pair of steel front forks that I think must be filled with lead (the new and inexpensive Rockshox susp forks that I have fitted were the same weight).
The old forks gave a horrible ride with the aluminium frame.
The brake booster would take a lamp fitting as well.
bumper

Post by bumper »

Well done, finished mine too. Glad they're on now, the roads are full of muck and dirt around here where it's been flooded. I get back in with a clean face and no brown stripe either!