Dural 'v' Zicral

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DoctorRad

Re: Dural 'v' Zicral

Post by DoctorRad »

Brucey wrote:plating is no guide to underlying hardness, and few surface treatments used on chainrings confer any real wear resistance in their own right.

Again, in my experience, I have used Sakae Ninja 24t and SunTour 20t MicroDrive (possibly also made by Sakae) steel inner rings for literally years on mountain bikes in the north-of-England muck. Granted, they will not get as much hammer as a middle ring, but in both cases, there has been no discernible wear to the rings and indeed the plating has hardly worn at all. They have been far and away the most durable chainrings I've ever owned.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

reohn2 wrote:I've mentioned elsewhere,Spa's own Zicral chainrings (only available in 110BCD and 74 inners) are very well finished items,I can't vouch for longevity as I've not had them on long enough yet,but if they're as good as they look they'll be very good indeed!:- http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s210p0

Oh, hubba hubba, thanks for the pointer. I knew there was a good reason to hang on to all those XT II chainsets. Now, if only someone would make a decent, reasonably priced 94BCD equivalent...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

DoctorRad wrote:Again, in my experience, I have used Sakae Ninja 24t and SunTour 20t MicroDrive (possibly also made by Sakae).... and indeed the plating has hardly worn at all. They have been far and away the most durable chainrings I've ever owned.

I think they are pretty much the same thing. I also think that they are made like sprockets not chainrings, i.e. they are made of properly hard steel and therefore very durable. I would expect any kind of plating to have worn from the points on the tooth form where the roller bears. Where there is no such contact it won't wear, of course.

Years ago campag ATB chainsets (and some others) sometimes used a sprocket mounted to the spider instead of a 'chainring'. Good idea too; most chainrings are about half as hard as old school sprockets.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

reohn2 wrote:I've mentioned elsewhere,Spa's own Zicral chainrings(only available in 110BCD and 74 inners) are very well finished items,I can't vouch for longevity as I've not had them on long enough yet,but if they're as good as they look they'll be very good indeed!:- http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s210p0

Can you update us on this reohn2?

Did you come to any conclusions about Spa's Zicral rings.

A thread revival I know but relevant. Google found this for me when I was trying to figure out which rings I should use on my Spa XD2 chainset.
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've mentioned elsewhere,Spa's own Zicral chainrings(only available in 110BCD and 74 inners) are very well finished items,I can't vouch for longevity as I've not had them on long enough yet,but if they're as good as they look they'll be very good indeed!:- http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s210p0

Can you update us on this reohn2?

Did you come to any conclusions about Spa's Zicral rings.

A thread revival I know but relevant. Google found this for me when I was trying to figure out which rings I should use on my Spa XD2 chainset.

I/we arent doing the kind of mileage I/we used to due to health issues,so I'm not able give any meaningful opinions on longevity of Spa Cycles Zicral rings,perhaps someone else who's put mileage in on them is better placed to give an opinion than me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

Ive several part used and new stronglight 68 bcd chainrings. Some have a small z stamped on them. Does this identify them as Zicral rings ?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D