Rigid forks for MTB

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ross K

Re: Rigid forks for MTB

Postby Ross K » 9 Dec 2013, 8:56pm

If you want rigid, lightweight and corrected for 80mm travel, look at these:
http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=789&

I've had the 100mm version for a couple of years on my winter commuter and it's great - some flex gives a comfy ride (I'm a roadie so with either ice tyres or 26"x28c Gators it feels so to me!) but for road use they are so much better than the old sus fork and the weight shed was over half a kilo for me, on my old Rockhopper conversion. It means I can climb unseated without that unpleasant-feeling power loss into the front suspension.

Also sold for twice the price under different brands, can't recall off the top of my head but you might Google it if you're interested.

lowrider

Postby lowrider » 9 Dec 2013, 9:06pm

Bowedw wrote:Has anyone any idea of the Tura's weight as I may as well stick with my present setup if there no reduced weight advantage.
The suggestion of another bike is also appreciated and does make a lot of sense.

The Mt Tura is about 1.2Kg but you will loose a little when you cut the steerer its huge, most steel forks I have seen are about 1kg but that was for 700C a cheap suspension fork is about 2.5 kg

Tinnishill

Postby Tinnishill » 14 Dec 2013, 3:24pm

Surly forks.jpg

Sorry for my late entry in to this conversation, but I have only just noticed this thread. I have uploaded a snap shot of my bike. It is a 2006 Kona Lana’i. Th original forks were cheap spring-only shockers with 68mm travel. After doing all the recommended measuring the nearest fit to an ideal rigid replacement proved to be Surly 1x1 forks designed to replace 80mm travel suspension. Because of my brake system, I needed V-brake only forks; disk fittings would interfere with the reaction arm on my drum brakes. Surly 1x1 “cantilever” forks proved to be unobtainable in the UK, so I ordered them from Jensen USA in California and they were delivered to my door in Scotland in four days at a reasonable price. I took them to my local bike shop to ask them to fit the star fangled nut. We chose not to shorten the steering tube so that I could mount the handlebars in a more upright position.

It rides pretty well. I use it for supervising youth groups on Duke of Edinburgh type expeditions, so it is mainly forestry gravel, minor roads and Sustrans type tracks.

Cheers.

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 14 Dec 2013, 8:19pm

Look like mine, that I got from German, as linked. Glad to hear they ride ok, as I'm nowhere near using mine yet.