FUBi: second attempt at crowd-funding a foldable

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Querfeldein

FUBi: second attempt at crowd-funding a foldable

Postby Querfeldein » 16 Dec 2013, 6:03pm

After its kickstarter campaign folded (sorry!), Fubi has now launched an indiegogo campaign to fund the construction of a new design semi-foldable bike. The standard frame is now aluminium, rather than titanium, which has brought the price down to €580 - quite a sensible move, in my opinion, as titanium welding is not for the faint-hearted (titanium remains as an option, but is now much more expensive). My main concern, the "unique" derailleur system (you have to see it to believe it) remains, but they now also offer a single speed version. Good choice, imho, as with a completely new design, simplicity can only be a good thing.

I must say that I really like the concept, and comparing to the offers of large-wheeled foldables by the likes of Dahon, the Fubi looks quite competitive. The single speed version also removed my biggest concern I had about the previous model. However, I'm not quite ready to take the plunge yet - for instance, for an aluminium frame, some of the tubes look remarkably narrow. Would any of the more technically competent people here like to offer their opinion?

easyroller

Re: FUBi: second attempt at crowd-funding a foldable

Postby easyroller » 16 Dec 2013, 8:13pm

Interesting concept I guess. Not for me though.

This looks like it'd certainly fold quickly.... :shock: As soon as you sat on it.... lol
Image Attachments
fubitandem.jpg

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 11 Sep 2020, 12:09pm

I spotted this elsewhere and thought of Bruceys like of rudge/montague folders:

I wonder how this compares
(available in 3spd form. :D .....) and frame seems to be steel now.https://fubifixie.com/product/fubi-folding-bike

Bahh seems 28mm is fattest tyre size?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 11 Sep 2020, 7:13pm

interesting idea. However it seems unlikely that the frame will have a normal level of torsional stiffness; to manage that ideally both the down tube and the top tube each need to be both laterally/torsionally stiff and connected to the rest of the structure in a way that allows no free play. I would expect the latter to be the case only when the bike is new, and I would expect the former to be the case possibly never.

A major conflict in the design of folding bikes is that they are easy to live with, long term, if they have as few 'special' parts as possible. Otherwise you are reliant on the quality of the special parts in the first instance, and their continued supply in the longer term. On the other hand there may be real advantages to the special parts, eg allowing a more compact fold. The FUBi has a lot of 'special parts'.

The derailleur owes a lot to the Osgear (from about 70 or more years ago)

and the Terrot (from over 100 years ago)

FUBi

The derailleur wouldn't be a big worry to me personally, because it is about as complicated as something made from meccano. I'd expect the production versions to be different to that, and about as much of a worry as the oddball Dahon RDs are.

vs (say) a Rudge (Montague) biframe, the FUBi should fold into a slimmer (or ultimately smaller) package, but uses many more 'special parts'.

The viability of practical stuff like mudguards, carriers, lights etc remains to be seen. Plenty of folding bikes fall down on this stuff, and without them a bike will be a lot less practical.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 11 Sep 2020, 7:53pm

some earlier versions;

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 12 Sep 2020, 12:29am

The Pedersen also looks very flexible too. has anyone ridden one?
I have a Bickerton Portable and it's so flexible it scares me to death.

greyingbeard

Postby greyingbeard » 12 Sep 2020, 9:13am

Incredibly small folder, fascinating, but whats the point - wheels still have to be carried.

I like the brilliant simplicity of the Ritchey Breakaway. The bike comes apart in two halves held together by clamping the seat post, and by a pretty version of an exhaust pipe clamp at the bottom. Genius.
comes in different styles - gravel - road - tandem and different materials - steel - carbon£££
Its not cheap but then it wouldnt be. Weighs little more than a standard bike.

The next alternative is a custom frame fitted with S&S couplings £££££

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Sep 2020, 9:40am

By the time you've unfolded and built it, you may as well have a separable Moulton.

The frame separates, and you can remove the seatpost and the handlebars as well. Plus the wheels of course.
Mine will all fit in a suitcase.
Mick F. Cornwall

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 12 Sep 2020, 1:24pm

Looking at the pics i can see why it failed to gain enough support first time around and probably won't this time either, there is nothing in the design that solves any issue not already tackled by other designs in a superior fashion. I for one, can't see which 'niche' this is aimed at.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 12 Sep 2020, 3:11pm

I suppose montague aren't worried then :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

2_i

Postby 2_i » 12 Sep 2020, 4:14pm

Brucey wrote:The derailleur wouldn't be a big worry to me personally, because it is about as complicated as something made from meccano. I'd expect the production versions to be different to that, and about as much of a worry as the oddball Dahon RDs are.

I have a Suntour S-1 derailleur in my storage, that mounts under the chainstay. I looked for ways to mount it on a Brompton, but the balance sheet of gains and losses did not look good so the project got abandoned.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 12 Sep 2020, 6:25pm

greyingbeard wrote:I like the brilliant simplicity of the Ritchey Breakaway. The bike comes apart in two halves held together by clamping the seat post, and by a pretty version of an exhaust pipe clamp at the bottom. Genius.

I'f be worried about that falling apart - It doesn't look a good solution (I wonder what Brucey's views are?)
I'll stick with my Rudge Montague - the only way it could fold in use is in a (very big) crash, it which case a regular bike would.

greyingbeard

Postby greyingbeard » 12 Sep 2020, 6:54pm

I was wondering about how good the bottom connection is, but with USA litigation costs, surely it must work ?

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 12 Sep 2020, 11:37pm

greyingbeard wrote:I was wondering about how good the bottom connection is, but with USA litigation costs, surely it must work ?

When it's new.... but what about after some use? There are reports of many different folding bikes that fall apart after some use, and (presumably) they have some approval eg EC

greyingbeard

Postby greyingbeard » 13 Sep 2020, 8:26am

Ive no idea. Havent seen one for real. Very little is made to last these days. I think a bike ought to last many years, remainder of my lifetime anyway. You wont see me buying carbon fibre, might as well be glass fibre.