Bromptons - Not Impressed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Bromptons - Not Impressed

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm considering a denim "drop cover" for the brompton, just enough to throw over the bike at a station, hole at the top for the saddle, so i can carry it without having to hold it an inch away from my body.

Would be nice if I could figure a way to have a strap built in as well - could chuck it over my shoulder then...
Might have to have a clip system - with an extra hole or two in the side of the cover...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

WaterLab Rat wrote:Come March I hope the picking a new bike - Ave MH9 HD which looks like it should cover most options.

Er, except fold into a smallish package?
"42"
Si

Post by Si »

squeaker wrote:
WaterLab Rat wrote:Come March I hope the picking a new bike - Ave MH9 HD which looks like it should cover most options.

Or, for that matter, a light package, or be a bike that can really carry that much more than a birdy!
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

About 10% of those who try out Bromptons are unable to get on with them. I have accumulated over 30000 miles of Brompton travel, around 10000 miles of which have been done on cycle-camping tours. They are great load carriers, the small wheels only having difficulty with pot-holes or soft going. The 6-speed with reduced gearing is essential for touring and, except in very hilly conditions, is not much slower than a touring cycle, taking perhaps 30 minutes longer for a 100 mile day ride. When travelling fully laden, I reckon on a maximum of 100 km as this requires more energy than for a touring bike. My tours have been undertaken in Scotland (Highlands, Western & Northern Isles), Wales, England, France, the Netherlands and South Africa (Cape Argus ride, when I averaged 16 mph). As far as weight goes, have you noticed how this doubles when the bike is folded?
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Brucey wrote:
Valbrona wrote:...would have switched to lighter aluminium frames at least a decade ago.

and they would break just like the bikes with such frames tend to do....?

The whole point of a 16" folder is that is should be light enough to carry. Brompton's just aren't, and in large part due to a heavy steel frame. Aluminium folders have been around a good while now: http://www.usa.dahon.com/mainnav/bikes/ ... _d3-3.html

They are such a typically poxy British company, and not unlike Pashley. Other more modenr-thinking companies in the world now do what Brompton do, only a lot better.
I should coco.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

The problem with Dahon's IMO is the centre hinge. There are alternatives (IMO better) to Bromptons: http://www.mezzobikes.com/
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Valbrona wrote: Aluminium folders have been around a good while now: http://www.usa.dahon.com/mainnav/bikes/ ... _d3-3.html
... do what Brompton do, only a lot better.

Dahons are OK to ride, no worse than many, but if you think they are remotely durable you are, sadly, living in a Dream World.

They break often if you actually ride them much on normal roads. When they do break, they can snap like a carrot. I think the design, fabrication and materials used are wholly inadequate for the intended task.

If someone were to ask me about folding bikes as alternatives to the Dahon or Brompton, I'd suggest at least looking at the Giant Halfway. The single-sided hubs are usually an affectation with little practical impact (other than making spares difficult, the bike cost more, mudguards a pain and punctures a bit easier to deal with), but here they do seem to help to make the folded bike a little more compact than it would be otherwise. I do think that there are many clever touches on the bike (like the hinges and clamps for example) but of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating; riding it and living with it could be made unbearable by small flaws, like no rear suspension for example.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Si wrote:
squeaker wrote:

Or, for that matter, a light package, or be a bike that can really carry that much more than a birdy!

Yes it is only a semi-folder and being an e-bike heavier. With the front and rear built in racks it should take quite a bit more luggage than the Birdy. Since it is a semi-folder I would be wheeling it rather than carrying it for most of the time. I am also thinking of making up a large bag/cover for it so it then becomes a big piece of luggage.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'm considering a denim "drop cover" for the brompton, just enough to throw over the bike at a station, hole at the top for the saddle, so i can carry it without having to hold it an inch away from my body.

Would be nice if I could figure a way to have a strap built in as well - could chuck it over my shoulder then...
Might have to have a clip system - with an extra hole or two in the side of the cover...

A suggestion; you can buy cheap and lightweight woven tarps and similar for covering up garden furniture etc. It would be easy enough to refangle one of those.

For carrying, I'd suggest a luggage strap with a couple of snap hooks (strong steel ones cost peanuts in toolstation BTW). The bike could have eyes fitted, or a short length of strap fitted with D rings could be used at each end of the main strap.

I'd also suggest that the strap is fitted first, then the strap loop is fed through a long slot in the top of the 'bag' which then slides down covering the bike. A few velcro or press-stud fastenings would complete the deal.

If you were very devious you would arrange it so that the bag could also sit a few inches higher up (attached to the strap somehow) , so that the bike can be wheeled when covered without ruining the cover.

When you go into mass production you know who to send royalty cheques to.... :wink:

cheers
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I am surprised there's been no comparison to a Bike Friday, which seems the closest rival, and far more used for long distance travel if the internet's anything to go by- sometimes I think CGOAB is almost made up of their riders.

http://www.bikefriday.com/

Look to fold nice'n small too.
Si

Post by Si »

WaterLab Rat wrote:Yes it is only a semi-folder and being an e-bike heavier. With the front and rear built in racks it should take quite a bit more luggage than the Birdy. Since it is a semi-folder I would be wheeling it rather than carrying it for most of the time. I am also thinking of making up a large bag/cover for it so it then becomes a big piece of luggage.

You can have front and rear racks on the birdy, and if you are happy with the semi folded stage then you can also add the under frame bag.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Worth a look-

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=258965

Lots of Bike Fridays, fully loaded.
BV1961

Post by BV1961 »

The Brompton is an excellent british product that has not been matched by any other in terms of the small folded size.
I have a 6 speed to which I've added a rack and easy-wheels which makes it easy to push along when folded - so no need to carry if you have to walk from one end of a station to another. I've also swapped the foam grips to cork bar tape too. The riding style takes some time to get used too but when you do its fine. Its still my third choice for riding distance after my Tourer or road bike, but for going to the shops or travelling by train its simply the best.
Furkuk

Post by Furkuk »

I have a hybrid type bike and a 6 speed Brompton with rack and I love riding the Brompton. It just makes me smile as soon as I start to ride. Yes, it's a bit twitchy at the front end and it doesn't like potholes but it's so practical. Plus, isn't cycling all about having fun?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is a shame they are such
Valbrona wrote: a typically poxy British company

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/oct/17/brompton-boom-fuelled-asian-demand

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23239764

IMHO we could do with a few more like that.

cheers