Bike for an 18 year old?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Claireysmurf

Bike for an 18 year old?

Post by Claireysmurf »

My nephew turns 18 in a few weeks. He is just about to learn to drive and has decided he can't afford a car until next year at least. He has also shelved his plans of having a 50cc moped/scooter as it will cost him his chance of inter-railing. As he has been so sensible about this I have offered him a bicycle instead.

I am a bit skint at the moment so I have suggested I spend £250-£275 on a new bike and will give him lights, a lock and a helmet. As an alternative to the new bike, I have offered him my 2013 29er Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc which I would get serviced first.

Do you have any suggestions about bike choice, not just make and model but type. His best friend is his nephew who lives about 8 miles from him. I assume whatever he has needs to be fairly robust as I guess it will be used and abused His last bike was an MTB. Does anyone know what is fashionable for younger people bike wise? I went out with a very fit 25 year old friend yesterday and she was on a single speed (with a flip flop hub) and she did ok on a fair few hills. She is quite a hipster.

I must say he hasn't torn my arm off at the suggestion! The youth of today eh
Thanks
Claireysmurf

Re: Bike for an 18 year old?

Post by Claireysmurf »

My own preference was giving him my 29er or a hybrid. I may be pushed a little on price but not masses :)
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

If you don't know if he wants road / mountain bike / whatever and want something reasonably cheap, then a hybrid is indeed a good option, should be able to get a basic one for about £300 + helmet, lock, pump, bottles etc etc
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Does he want a bike at all? A hybrid would seem the most sensible but at that age it is important to be 'cool' - a snazzy looking single speed/flip-flop might appeal to him more.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Will your bike be the right size for him?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

Vorpal wrote:Will your bike be the right size for him?

He is a similar size to me, so it should be.

Lollykat wrote:Does he want a bike at all?

I'm not sure if he wants a bike per se but he does want transport and doesn't want (and importantly cannot afford to) spend money yet on a scooter or car. He can't have it all :D

Lollykat wrote:...at that age it is important to be 'cool' - a snazzy looking single speed/flip-flop might appeal to him more.

I thought that and also the simplicity appeals to me too.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Although it's nice to surprise him for his birthday, bikes are a very personal thing so I would advise you picking it with him.
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

My son is afflicted with being an 18 year old teenage oaf, and there's noting quite as guaranteed to turn him (or any of his similarly age afflicted mates) into a social outcast as riding a hybrid.

In the last two years, we've done:

125 Motorcycle (found fuel too expensive, and that he'd rather ride his bikes).
Mountain bike (minor interest, didn't last. "Too slow")
Road bike (liked it, but keeping on top of maintenance wasn't on his list of priorities)
BMX (this is his sporting passion, but finds it hopeless for transport)
Singlespeed (OK, but it's not a....)
Fixie (he's into this. Rides around hilly Devon, commutes to work on it, threatening to come touring with me on it [I'll be on my tourer!])

I'd recommend asking him what he wants, and don't underestimate peer pressure.
_________
LEJoG slug
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

After a couple of weeks of chatting readily he has gone quiet as he often does. A couple of texts and a Facebook message ignored or unread. Bike...you can't give them away apparently