Chain Scrubbers - Yay or Nay?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AndyBSG

Chain Scrubbers - Yay or Nay?

Post by AndyBSG »

Looking for some advice on these and peoples general opinions.

I've been doing my chains by hand for a while now and it's the most time consuming part of cleaning my bike and i'm never 100% satisfied with the results.

I soak the chain in degreaser and take a rag to it but it always seems to still have bits of muck in there unless I clean each link individually.

So, I invested in a chain scrubber yesterday and used it and have to say I was very impressed with the results, the chain was gleaming like new once I finished and it only took 5 minutes.. However there is a problem.

Once I was finished the chain was obviously covered in a LOT more degreaser than if I done it by hand and although I managed to wipe a lot off I found that using a rag couldn't get everything off(mainly the bits in between each link).

When cleaning by hand I usually rag dry and relube straight away but because of the amount of degreaser left after using the machine is it usual that you have to leave it for a few hours to dry out before relubing or is there some secret to it?
RickH

Re: Chain Scrubbers - Yay or Nay?

Post by RickH »

I wash the degreaser (& dissolved muck) off with water then let the chain dry in a warm place (I use Wipperman chains with a Connex quick link so can take it off/ refit easily without tools). An alternative would be a water displacer before adding proper lubricant.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

what kind of degreaser are you using?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Chain scrubber is a definitive yes from me.
I use mine with either White Spirit or Astonish degreaser.
I run the the chain through the degreaser by back pedalling it,then pour the remainder into a jam jar to settle and reuse,I then run the chain through the scrubber again with hot water and a squirt of washing up liquid in it.
Then run it through an old towel to dry it.
Then lube with TF2.
It takes about 10minutes max and the results are a totally clean chain :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Any particular clean cleaner + degreaser you recommend?
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

Brucey wrote:what kind of degreaser are you using?

cheers

Can't remember but it's just a citrus based one I picked up from my LBH.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

with any water-based degreaser, the 'warm rinse' and subsequent steps as recommended by R2 are an excellent idea.

Any degreaser residue may degrade fresh lubricant, and may help to cause corrosion too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A chain scrubber refers to one of those things that clips onto the the rear mech which the chain runs through? This doesn't work on my single speed commuter that faces all weathers and cr@p. My method is to remove the chain and put it in a milk carton with some degreaser and shake, drain and refill and shake again then rinse with water. Leave to dry and refit and lube. While the chain is drying I clean the grime off the chainwheel and freewheel.
barrym

Post by barrym »

I've tried them and didn't really get on with them. I felt they never did a top job, although I can see the advantage of an in situ clean.

I do mine as per Sheldon Brown. I put an inch or so paraffin in an old plastic milk bottle, drop the chain in, shake for 30 secs or so. Then hook it out and hang up outside and hose off with cold water. I wipe dry with a paper towel and spray with a water dispersant like wd40. I refit the chain like this before applying a spray on Wurth dry motorcycle lube. Each to his own eh?
--
Cheers
Barry
Hackfall

Post by Hackfall »

i've been borrowing one and its great. I have been using morgan blue degreaser which is really good though i am sure there are cheaper alternatives just as good. I also have a morgan blue chain catcher now too, so can remove the rear wheel and still turn the cranks through the chain on a chain cleaner, then separately thoroughly clean then cassette on the wheel i just removed. good point about running the chain through hot soapy water, that said i have a nice big soft brush I use to soap everything off at the end and then gently hose down. on my winter bike I do this but not every ride seeing as my winter bike a hack bike anyway. Its sparkly now though, for a day!
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I was given one for Christmas a couple of years ago. I used it once for politeness sakes.

You can have it if you send me a PM with your address.
Total heap of ****.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Two key points for happy chain scrubbing:-

1/ Use a lube that water based degreaser can actually remove, and not your horrible solvent-based stuff from the 1950s.

2/ Rinse the degreaser off with water. I clean my bike in the bath where I have the use of a shower, but others use pressure washers.
I should coco.
mig

Post by mig »

Valbrona wrote:Two key points for happy chain scrubbing:-

1/ Use a lube that water based degreaser can actually remove, and not your horrible solvent-based stuff from the 1950s.

2/ Rinse the degreaser off with water. I clean my bike in the bath where I have the use of a shower, but others use pressure washers.

:shock:

de-greaser? viro-sol.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I suspect the game-changer is a pair of link pliers which I have just ordered.
It's the hassle of splitting the chain which has deterred me from keeping chains in rotation and properly cleaning everything.

Though cleaning the chainrings and sprockets in-situ is still a challenge when you don't want to get degreaser in places you don't want it - including the environment - but one day I may have the sort of workshop where I can safely use and recycle large amounts of paraffin / gunk / white spirit...

chaincleaner.jpg
bobc

Post by bobc »

couldn't resist.....
fit a toothed belt transmission. Then hose it down occasionally if you feel that way inclined..... :)