novatec freehub 'feature' third party oppinion needed.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iow

novatec freehub 'feature' third party oppinion needed.

Postby iow » 30 Jan 2014, 11:40am

I'm interested on your thoughts with regard to the novatec freehub pictured.
is this correctly machined?
I am in negotiation with another party. one of us thinks this is acceptable, one of us doesn't.
unbiased opinions please.
Image Attachments
CIMG1701.JPG
mark

Brucey

Re: novatec freehub 'feature' third party oppinion needed.

Postby Brucey » 30 Jan 2014, 11:55am

iow wrote:I'm interested on your thoughts with regard to the novatec freehub pictured.
is this correctly machined?
I am in negotiation with another party. one of us thinks this is acceptable, one of us doesn't.
unbiased opinions please.

It will work with a cassette that uses a carrier for the largest sprockets, but it won't for a cassette that uses individual steel sprockets.

Unless I'd committed myself to using a carrier cassette already, I'd reject that hub.

If the vendor thinks that is acceptable for any cassette then he is dreaming. However if that cassette body is aluminium then you arguably should be thinking of a carrier cassette anyway; steel sprockets will notch the cassette body unless the lockring is unfeasibly tight.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 30 Jan 2014, 12:03pm

If it weren't for the fact that the rest of the splines look pristine I'd suggest that had already failed catastrophically...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mig

Postby mig » 30 Jan 2014, 12:40pm

looks to me that it's been machined to accept an unusual, big sprocket from a different manufacturer.

iow

Postby iow » 30 Jan 2014, 12:47pm

thanks.
I will be using a shimano tiagra 9 speed cassette (individual sprockets).
I'm happy to accept some notching, but I don't put out enough power to worry the freehub too much!
a similar aluminium freehub / tiagra combo on another bike displayed some minor notching over the first 1000m but it did not get any worse - I assume some degree of work hardening takes place?
mark

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 30 Jan 2014, 12:55pm

well I think after a short while the only thing stopping the largest sprocket from turning will be the cassette rivets; this is not a viable arrangement; they are not meant to transmit load, and if asked to do so, will often come loose/break.

cheers

Russell

Postby Russell » 30 Jan 2014, 1:32pm

Not having heard of Novatec hubs before I googled them and found this page that would appear to show that the machining is standard (on that hub anyway). Whether it is is good engineering practice I would not like to say. As an edit I woud say that after studying the two images the one in the OP does look as though the machining is deeper, almost to the base of the spline.

http://ebike.hu/products/wheel/hub-rear/v-brake-no-disc/101114_novatec-f742sb-a-a-light-freehub/

I did see elsewhere that Novatec also make a hub body with one steel spline to overcome notching!

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 30 Jan 2014, 2:15pm

Russell wrote:.... As an edit I woud say that after studying the two images the one in the OP does look as though the machining is deeper, almost to the base of the spline.....

-exactly my concern!

cheers

531colin

Postby 531colin » 30 Jan 2014, 2:30pm

What is the point of this machining?
The only thing I can think of is to provide a flat surface for the bottom sprocket to seat against, in which case, why take off the spline as well?

Valbrona

Postby Valbrona » 30 Jan 2014, 5:59pm

531colin wrote:What is the point of this machining?
The only thing I can think of is to provide a flat surface for the bottom sprocket to seat against, in which case, why take off the spline as well?

Exactly.

On my Novatec freehub there is no such machining. However, there is a very small ridge which prevents a really snug fitting of the last sprocket up against the freehub flange if it were not on a carrier.

I might add that the aluminium used to make these Novatec freehubs is a hard type and nothing like the stuff Campagnolo freehubs are made from. As such I expect any Novatec freehub to be very durable to the point of making notching unlikely.
I should coco.