Best, small, cheap bike accessory

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
maff1977

Re: Best, small, cheap bike accessory

Postby maff1977 » 1 Feb 2014, 9:43am

I carry with me an old car handbrake at all times.

Also i find a piece of thick copper wire quite useful for various stuff( taken from electrical wire). and a small compass( free from heligan lost gardens of)

colin54

Postby colin54 » 1 Feb 2014, 9:57am

Maff, Top abstruse post, respect !

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 1 Feb 2014, 9:59am

Godlykepower wrote: The hand brake in a car is used in an emergency or when the car needs to be secured in position...

You got it in one, Mr G ;-)
When I go touring, with stuff in panniers making my bike quite heavy, I use the afore-mentioned 'hand-brake' every time I 'park' (there's another word borrowed from car-world...) my bike, to stop it rolling whenever the ground is less than perfectly horizontal, i.e. most of the time. Hope that helps... Don't knock it 'till you've tried it, Sir!
PS have seen this work as rudimentary security, too, when I watched a fellow approach a bike, look around and go to push it away, only to find it wouldn't readily move - said fellow gave up and walked quickly off!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

colin54

Postby colin54 » 1 Feb 2014, 10:13am

Clas Olsen do a good quality seat cover for leather saddles for £2.99, heavy black nylon with a white rubbery backing, fits a B17 perfick.Shame I lost mine, it does have a bit of a coffin shroud vibe tho'. Must get another one, the one made by the Thank You Cover Company is too scruffy even for this ex Baldocian.
P1050780 (359x640).jpg
. Super cheap tho'.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 1 Feb 2014, 10:39am

Brian73 wrote:£1 Bell

http://www.wilko.com/bike-accessories/w ... BMST=flick

Allows dog walkers to hear you coming.

Loved the review from the guy/gal who said "so far i'm pleased with my purchase"

There's someone who expects a lot for their money/doesn't praise lightly :)

thanks by the way to whoever it was on here who suggested the wilkinsons bottle cage - a nice simple classic design.
Sweep

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 1 Feb 2014, 10:46am

Sweep wrote: ....thanks by the way to whoever it was on here who suggested the wilkinsons bottle cage - a nice simple classic design.

Not me Guv but you mean this 'un?

looks good for £2.99 that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 1 Feb 2014, 4:35pm

CREPELLO wrote:So which would be the best value out of the toe strap, velcro strap or the zip tie? :wink:

I think velco -can get it in rolls so u can cut off what lenght you want.

eg

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_200887_langId_-1_categoryId_255230

£5 for 5m

I use it to hold my Kryptonite D lock M18 I think it is onto my rear carrier. Could also be used instead of cycle clips

Godlykepower

Postby Godlykepower » 1 Feb 2014, 6:25pm

simonineaston wrote:Don't knock it 'till you've tried it, Sir!

Haha! Yes, as soon as I saw the picture of the bike on a slope with the handbrake on, it all clicked into place and I realised I was in fact being rather thick! Reading the very first post that mentioned the use of a handbrake should have made me twig, but I was in a haze of Yorkshire ale. Damn you, Black Sheep Brewery, damn you. :oops:

Even though I have never needed this, seeing it in 'action' has kind of rocked my world a little bit. I can totally see how awesome this would be!
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 1 Feb 2014, 8:12pm

Blimey an ex- Baldockian rocking a Roystoners world ,unheard of !

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 1 Feb 2014, 8:28pm

I never needed a handbrake (never thought of calling it that :)) for my bike until I wanted the bike to stay in one place while I:
- loaded a child into the child seat
- did up the straps
- sorted toys
- put the cover / poncho on
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

colin54

Postby colin54 » 1 Feb 2014, 9:51pm

I went down Clas Olshon's to buy a seat cover having reminded myself earlier on.They had a new line of panniers and bar bags in stock. I only looked at the bar bag , it came with. some sort of quick release clamp to fix it, didn't look bad for about £ 20.It's on their web site. has a map pocket and strap, pt no31-5314.

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 9 Feb 2014, 1:06pm

i) Library Card ~ access to maps up and down the country, a range of touring, local history and engineering books, internet access and cheap photocopier (plus the local libraries make some place to go when you're caught in a shower and need to dry off).
ii) Camera (real ale membership) for the same reason.
iii) Post office account card, because when you're touring with a group, you can't expect the tour to revolve around automatic teller machines
iv) pen and note book for making notes of changes to bike positions, replacement of items, and when you last cleaned stuff...

RickH

Postby RickH » 9 Feb 2014, 4:36pm

cycle tramp wrote:iii) Post office account card, because when you're touring with a group, you can't expect the tour to revolve around automatic teller machines

You can use any debit card (that will work in a "Link" ATM - which is pretty much all of them) to get cash, without any fees, at a post office counter (&, if you didn't already know, you can pay with a debit card for stamps, etc. these days too).

If they also have an ATM check before using it - some POs have a charging ATM (the machine is obliged to indicate it will charge) in the shop even though cash over the PO counter is free.

Rick.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 9 Feb 2014, 4:43pm

cycle tramp wrote:i) Library Card ~ internet access an(plus the local libraries make some place to go when you're caught in a shower and need to dry off).
ii) Camera (real ale membership)

You could combine 3 of these in a Wetherspoons - free wifi (though don't do anything like banking in there), good ever changing beer, and somewhere to dry off while you cruise the web/research the local area or whatever. If it's a long shower./storm you can also sit there with free filter coffee refills from opening until 2pm.

You can download a GPS POI of all their places, though rather siren-like it pops up an orange alert on the Garmin that you are getting close to one.
Sweep

Binkyboy

Postby Binkyboy » 9 Feb 2014, 5:40pm

Godlykepower wrote:That doesn't really explain anything.

What does it do once it's around the brake lever? Give you an extra position to apply the brakes from?

The idea is it holds the lever in the "brake on" position, just if you were squeezing the lever tight.
It's a "handbrake" like cars have.