Best CX to use as tourer?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CyclingTerrier

Best CX to use as tourer?

Postby CyclingTerrier » 18 Feb 2014, 6:37pm

Setting off for the Rhine and Danube come summer, looking to go lightweight and do long days and have come to the conclusion that a CX bike is a decent compromise between speed, durability and versatility compared to the more cumbersome hybrid tourers.

Was wondering what more experienced tourers/bike aficionados have to say on the matter. I know its mostly down to preference but there must be certain CX bikes which are better suited to touring than others or have features which are good for touring?

Cheers

Brucey

Re: Best CX to use as tourer?

Postby Brucey » 18 Feb 2014, 6:49pm

if you want to carry panniers then you need to keep an eye on chainstay length and heel clearance.

CX bikes offer a kind of OTP solution for touring but there is more than one way to skin a cat; when you are done looking at those you should take a look at some proper touring bikes and ask yourself if a lightweight build on a frame like that might be a good solution instead. Or perhaps some audax bikes, if you can live with the skinnier tyres.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 18 Feb 2014, 6:53pm

Any thing that isn't aimed at purely racing.
A race bike will have no mudguard eyes etc or even bottle bosses. Then again (my pet peeve here) CX is racing . Not racing isn't CX really. I like to call it "rough stuff" and pretend that I am ancient and think that Beryl Burton is a pretty young thing.
More usefully many manufacturers now produce what they call a CX bike with eyes etc for racks. you are spoilt for choice. Might I suggest a Planet X Kaffenback. These have a good reputation as nice all round bikes. Steel in this case and discs brakes. Those are two options to think about . Material and Brakes. I'm a disc convert as I ride my CX bikes off road but they are not everyones cup of tea. Another thing to consider is that there is little difference in spec between a CX bike and a "tourer" except that the latter will be better equipped. A Dawes Galaxy looks awfully like a CX bike stripped down. Geometry and handling will be different but that may not be an issue.
Other makes worth a look might be Whyte,Specialized, Kona, to name a very few.

CyclingTerrier

Postby CyclingTerrier » 18 Feb 2014, 7:02pm

Thanks for the quick replies,

After thinking a lot about this I wouldnt be happy with myself if I bought one of these heavier tourers, especially if I'm wanting to cover 70/80 miles on cycling days and use it to commute to work with after the tour.

I had disc brakes on my last tour which caused me no end of troubles, probably because I am the worlds worst mechanic thus im quite shy of having disc brakes.

I am on a pretty strict budget (as much below 350 as possible) wouldnt doing up a used dawes galaxy be expensive? I have no idea on how much it would be to replace defunct parts.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 18 Feb 2014, 7:11pm

CyclingTerrier wrote:Thanks for the quick replies,

After thinking a lot about this I wouldnt be happy with myself if I bought one of these heavier tourers......

I am on a pretty strict budget (as much below 350 as possible) wouldnt doing up a used dawes galaxy be expensive? I have no idea on how much it would be to replace defunct parts.

well you are likely to end up buying a heavy something for that money. Lightness doesn't come cheap.

I'd suggest buying used but this would require a crash course in bicycle mechanics. It isn't difficult to make a list of half-decent bikes between £300 and £350 new because there are so few of them. If you have some in mind I'm sure the collective wisdom will venture a view on them.

How much weight do you want to carry?
What width of tyres are you thinking of using?

[edit; I used to ride about that distance in a day for utility/leisure purposes, often on a bike weighing about 40lbs before any luggage was added. As per the subsequent post the idea that heavy bikes are very slow and can't be ridden distances is somewhat overblown....]

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 18 Feb 2014, 7:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

swscotland bentrider

Postby swscotland bentrider » 18 Feb 2014, 7:12pm

70/80 miles would once have been a normal day's touring when I was younger! That would have been on a "touring" bike. A light bike isn't going to get you any further (once loaded) than a proper tourer. It might possibly get you less far due to discomfort. The time when a light bike wins is when it is unloaded, so commuting might be a touch more rewarding. In the end it is what you like that matters. The differences in performance between styles is often exaggerated in my opinion. (Unless of course you are comparing extremes such as a carbon racer with a steel tourer!)

CyclingTerrier

Postby CyclingTerrier » 18 Feb 2014, 7:19pm

I understand that I wont be smashing Tour De France records on a 300 quid bike, its just I did the Rhine on a loaded tourer last time round and wasnt very happy. Im looking to travel as light as possible which will probably be around 10kg as i will have camping and cooking gear (split between 2).
Some forums and articles suggested that for light, distance touring a tourer may be overkill.
Second hand is what im looking for, one that can take a small load and is slick enough that 100k days dont take too much out of us. (I have no idea if this bike exists for 350 quid?!?!)

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 18 Feb 2014, 7:27pm

well for starters look at the Triban 3; it is cheap, reasonably well specced, has a reasonable gear range and is fairly lightweight. You could just about put a rack on it (with a bit of jiggery-pokery) to take a light load, maybe split with a frame bag or bar-bag. The downsides would be;

- no mudguards (only clip ons)
- short chainstays ( heel clearance for panniers)
- no fat tyres (25s is about it)
-machine built wheels won't be super-reliable

you could do worse I think?

Any further suggestions?

BTW the best way to make your cycling easier is to do some more training before you go... but I guess you know that...

cheers

swscotland bentrider

Postby swscotland bentrider » 18 Feb 2014, 7:34pm

As Brucey says there will be suitable second hand bikes in the 300 - 350 range. Perhaps a second hand Audax bike? Having read your post I weighed my kit for an upcoming trip and including panniers it was 9kg. Thats a camping but not cooking trip. I would think most Audax / CX bikes would cope fine with that sort of load especially if it was well distributed.

CyclingTerrier

Postby CyclingTerrier » 18 Feb 2014, 7:38pm

Would it cost alot for a bike shop to fit the Triban 3 with a rack Brucey?

Not expecting to come across much rain on mainland Europe during the summer but not having mud guards seems like a bit of a dealbraker.

Im under the impression that the general consensus is that I could use a road/CX bike but the benefits are only applicable if i travel really light? Aside from splitting the weight of a 2man tent, a cooker and gas and a camera there isnt much other than the basics which I will be carrying.

CyclingTerrier

Postby CyclingTerrier » 18 Feb 2014, 7:41pm

After coming across http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.co.uk/ on here I like the idea of a single rucksack, frame back and handlebar bag?

CyclingTerrier

Postby CyclingTerrier » 18 Feb 2014, 7:42pm

Aiming for less than 10kgs in weight

Wesh-Laurence

Postby Wesh-Laurence » 18 Feb 2014, 7:44pm

With a budget of less than £350 I suggest you check out a second hand Specialized Tricoss. The older models of this CX bike had the bosses for fitting full sized mudguards and a rear rack and had cantilever brakes.

Why did you have issues with disc brakes? I prefer disc brakes to the cantilever brakes and that was one of the main reasons I sold the Tricross and built my own lightweight tourer with disc brakes using a Kinesis Decade Tripster frameset.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 18 Feb 2014, 7:56pm

you would need to use 'P'clips or similar to fit a rack to a bike without carrier eyes. These cost about £2. IIRC the Triban has eyes in the frame dropouts that will take a carrier but nothing on the stays. You can fit clip-on mudguards too.

BTW If you are thinking about paying a bike shop to fit a rack then I would worry about you being able to fix your bike on tour.

The whole touring bike vs lightweight bike is a red herring really.

Even if you spent a load more money a light bike with mudguards and a rack is about 25lbs. A proper touring bike with mudguards and a rack is maybe 30lbs. That is probably about 2% difference in all-up weight. That shouldn't make much difference really. Choosing easy rolling tyres is much more important than a few lbs of weight.

cheers

irc

Postby irc » 18 Feb 2014, 7:59pm

The Edinburgh Bikes own brand tourer is close to your budget at £380 and gets good reviews.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... 2fbicycles