bike locks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mattyfez

Re: bike locks

Post by Mattyfez »

Yeh nothing will put up with a disc cutter /angle grinder for too long.
I used to work in a warehouse that shipped cigarettes, and the padlocks on the lorry containers were pretty hefty, about £100 each, so probably about as strong as they get.

One day a driver lost the key, so we went at it with a disk cutter, we destroyed two or three disks cutting through it, but we cut through with about 15 mins of sustained effort.

All you can do is use a lock good enough to deter a casual thief who might have some cheap snippers /bolt cutters, and don't leave the bike out of sight too long unless it's locked indoors or somewhere the general public don't have access.
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

Or just use a bike that looks like a piece of junk, there's one i walk past every day chained to a railing, it's clearly abandoned as it's been there weeks and eventually someone's kicked the wheel and it's bent, it has a cheap flimsy lock but no one's pinched it.

Maybe there's a market for high spec bikes that look rubbish and knackered to the casual observer, fake distressed paint etc!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I was just thinking on a similar theme....... clip on plastic part that looks like the wheel is buckled beyond riding!
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

BeeKeeper wrote:Has anyone else had a Litelok delivered? I ask because on another forum (non-cycling) there are quite a few folk getting more than a little upset that despite ordering months ago no locks have been delivered and the company are being very poor at communicating with customers to tell them when they might be expected to be delivered.

Bump?