Suitcase Big Enough for a Dahon

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
stevemelia

Suitcase Big Enough for a Dahon

Postby stevemelia » 24 Mar 2014, 6:37pm

Does anyone know where I might find a wheelable suitcase big enough to fit a Dahon folding bike (Speed 8)? The Dahon website gives the folded dimensions as:
30 x 77 x 64 cm (11.8" x 30.3" x 25.2"). I bought a suitcase when I bought the bike in America. It was quite a cheap one - no handle, not very easy to wheel - so I threw it away when we moved.

I now want to take the bike on Eurostar and the French TGVs. I have spent ages searching the net and talking to luggage shops and I can't seem to find anything that is big enough across all the dimensions.

jezer

Re: Suitcase Big Enough for a Dahon

Postby jezer » 24 Mar 2014, 7:24pm

I did a two week CTC tour of Sardinia a few years ago on a Dahon with full panniers. I used the official Dahon case for the flight. Is it not available on the Dahon site?
Power to the pedals

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 24 Mar 2014, 7:32pm

Put Dahon into the Ebay and there are various offerings.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Mar 2014, 9:05pm

TKMaxx and the non-clothing version Homesense always has plenty of luggage of different types. That would be my first port-of-call.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 26 Mar 2014, 7:06am

I have a dahon airporter suitcase

Put it into google images and you'll see lots of pics, including one of a folded Dahon Speed Pro (the orange coloured wobbly beast) which is what I put in it.

It works well though from memory it weighs as much as the bike.

Which since some budget airlines revised their bike carriage rules (not so long ago you could take a bike on Ryanair for £10 each way with no weight limit - a bike was a bike.

Which all confirms my rather hard won impression that the theory of the Dahon Speed Pro hardly stacks up - a bike almost without a purpose - fun as it is.

No way could you really take the Dahon Speed Pro without such a case as the bike is so delicate. So they are wedded to each other.

The case works well though.
Sweep

MickH

Postby MickH » 27 Mar 2014, 6:39pm

Evening...

I saw this some months ago: http://www.gaerlan.bizland.com/dahon/pack.htm and thought it a good idea. Stick my bike in a suitcase and just pay for 'standard' hold luggage.

Before I booked my flight for this summer's trip I did 'some' research on t'interweb and discovered that the airline I'm travelling with (Easyjet) insist that "The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag", (http://www.easyjet.com/en/bicycles) so I phoned them and explained that the bike was a small folder and it could be stowed in a hard suitcase, but they wouldn't budge.

In the end I've bought one of these which ticks their box: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dahon-20-Fold ... 1133815151

It's still costing me £70 to fly the bike there and back.

The suitcase dodge would certainly do for Eurostar.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 28 Mar 2014, 6:01am

Yes MickH, that's the Airporter I referred to.

The earlier example might look clever but involves some pretty extreme disassembly of the bike.
Sweep

MickH

Postby MickH » 28 Mar 2014, 8:30am

Agreed Sweep, I think one would end up paying for excess baggage to transport the toolbox to reassemble at the far end! :wink: