Anyone riding a Brooks Cambium C17?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NEvans

Anyone riding a Brooks Cambium C17?

Post by NEvans »

Looked at an earlier topic and one of the posts mentioned the reviews for the new Brooks Cambium hadn't been good. While it looks like a standard Brooks it is actually a vulcanised rubber saddle.

This months Cycling Plus has given a very good review of it "Comfortable like a well-worn-in leather saddle". I like a standard Brooks but don't do any sort of the miles they are designed for.

Anyone got one on their light touring bike?
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
elduderino12

Re: Anyone riding a Brooks Cambium C17?

Post by elduderino12 »

Fed up of my B17 squeaking and creaking I bought one a few weeks ago. I've 170 miles on it and so far, so good - i never ride in padded shorts either. The saddle is a little 'rough' to touch and kind of grips your shorts as you ride, so unlike my B17 i no longer have to tilt it up slightly so I don't slide off.

All in all a good purchase - I'll probably get another.
robgul

Post by robgul »

... a friend has one on a brand new machine - only about 150 miles under its wheels so far but he speaks highly of the saddle comfort (he's not had a Brooks before) .. and he has the slate (dark) grey model - not the pale greyish-white original version.

I'm pondering on the subject having recently become "almost fully Brooksed" on my stable of bikes - just one to convert.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I found it too narrow compared to a B17 but its a lovely looking thing. Probably be putting mine up for sale soon!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Anyone know how they compare shape / width etc wise with a San Marco Regal / Regal-E?

I'm not very adventurous on saddles. Took years to find a comfy one. Price of a Cambium is a big gamble. Don't know anyone around Glasgow who stocks them so I can compare.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

BigFoz wrote:Anyone know how they compare shape / width etc wise with a San Marco Regal / Regal-E?

I'm not very adventurous on saddles. Took years to find a comfy one. Price of a Cambium is a big gamble. Don't know anyone around Glasgow who stocks them so I can compare.

Dales and Evans stock Brooks saddles so they might have them, if not in stock they might get one in for you to have a look at.
hazeyblue

Post by hazeyblue »

I have one, in slate.

On my Dawes, I usually ride a B17 and the Cambium feels appreciably narrower. As mentioned above, it may also be too narrow for me. That said, It is very comfortable and quite light (for a Brooks), it looks great and at the moment it receives a fair bit of attention when I meet other riders.
occamsrazor

Post by occamsrazor »

Any of you using the Cambium on a MTB for trail-riding? Thinking of getting one. 90% of the reviews compare it to a worn B17 but I've not tried that either, wondering if it has enough cushioning/give for non-road use...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Not wanting to seem negative but £100+ is an awful lot of cash to spend on a saddle,especially as BigFoz says it's(like any new saddle)a gamble.
Brooks are milking the cyclist in a big way IMO and if the saddle was in the £50to60 bracket it'd be worth the gamble for a lot more cyclists,just an opinion but at that kind of money I don't think I'll be risking it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
occamsrazor

Post by occamsrazor »

I can't disagree with you on the pricing... I do think it's too much. But still curious...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

occamsrazor wrote:I can't disagree with you on the pricing... I do think it's too much. But still curious...

I'm curious myself but only around £50 curious.
W H Auden
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Same here, looks interesting and different enough from some of the other Brooks models to be worth a try, but not at that money.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I suspect Brooks have to keep the price high if only to maintain the "top of the range" reputation for their other goods (not just cycle stuff). Maybe they could knock them out at £30 a time (through Lidl) but I wonder what impact that would have on e.g their €1000 jackets.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:I suspect Brooks have to keep the price high if only to maintain the "top of the range" reputation for their other goods (not just cycle stuff). Maybe they could knock them out at £30 a time (through Lidl) but I wonder what impact that would have on e.g their €1000 jackets.

Ian

Well that's from one extreme to the other.As for jackets at 1000euro more fule them that are willing to pay it and likewise their saddles.
W H Auden
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

rualexander wrote:Dales and Evans stock Brooks saddles so they might have them, if not in stock they might get one in for you to have a look at.

Disappointingly Evans are not stocking these in there shops (or haven't been) while they have a range of other Brooks saddles on show. So it's a trip to their Gatwick depot shop or via mail and like most I want to see a saddle in advance.

However I have had one for plus of a month now, and been very happy with it.
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.