Freewheel removal tips, please.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mlteenie

Freewheel removal tips, please.

Post by mlteenie »

Does anyone have any tips for removing a freewheel when a vice is not available? I think I read about someone leaving the tyre on and bracing the wheel against a wall before levering it off... or something.

Any takers? Thanks.
Steve

Post by Steve »

For our tandem back wheel I favoured a 3 foot long pipe wrench that needed two hands to lift to grip the freewheel remover, and yes, with the tyre on & inflated, brace the wheel against a step or bottom of a wall, & put all my weight onto it. Before I got the pipe wrench I used an adjustable spanner with a car roof bar over the end, which gave even better leverage.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I use a a 24 mil socket on the remover and the shifter bar from the socket set and brace the wheel against a wall or similar. If it's stubborn I tap the end of the bar with a mallet. I use a Thor copper/hide mallet , purely because I've got one, but one of the pound shop rubbber mallets should deliver enough impact to jar the threads free.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All good ideas, but make sure you have the wheel nut/QR in place to keep the extractor from coming out from its lugs.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Much the same. I have used 24 inch steelsons but these tend to crack or bend the extractors so I stopped.

Currently use a very long spanner of suitable size and add a length of pipe (an old steel table leg in fact) when it's being particularly stubborn.

If it still won't come off with an extractor take the freewheel apart until you find something flat that a good set of steelsons will bite into and try again - don't expect to use the freewheel afterwards.
PW

Post by PW »

I used to clamp the extractor tool on with the q/r skewer, then attach a length of old frame tubing to a 12" adjustable spanner & give it death. I've heard it said that some extractors can be wedged into the slots of a drain cover & the wheel turned instead of the freewheel. Knowing my luck the tool would end up in the sewers.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Of course if there's a small, friendly local garage near you take it in there and ask them to use one of their air wrenches with a 24 mm socket on the freewheel remover. That should shift anything!
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Thank you all so much. I think I have enough variations there!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Get back to us, we're all dying to find out if you get it off!

Good luck.
Mick F. Cornwall
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Well, well. Didn't realise I was going to cause a frenzy of excitement!

In fact, I am getting the advice in advance of possibly having to remove one for someone. I did the last one in a garage vice but that did seem a bit unnecessary to go to that effort each time I need to remove a freewheel.

Now, where's that old bit of scaff pole............... :wink:
roger

Freewheel removal

Post by roger »

Don't forget the Copperslip if you ever get to the position of putting it back on.
Roger.
PW

Post by PW »

I had a bit of fun with a cassette lockring yesterday - and it was greased when it was installed. Trashed 2 chainwhips & ripped the handle off a lockring tool! :shock: Eventually got it off after repairing a chainwhip with old 1/8" chain & using the 12" adjustable spanner plus old frame tube on the remains of the lockring tool. :roll:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!