Double to Triple conversion

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pickerd1

Double to Triple conversion

Post by pickerd1 »

Hello All

I have a 2x10 speed drive train set-up at present which consists of:
- SRAM X7 front mech
- SRAM X7 rear mech
- SRAM SL-500 shifters
- SRAM PG1030 cassette
- SRAM S600 chain set (power spline)

It seems a lot of people are going the other way but I am considering updating to a triple (3x10) set-up.

I have a friction front / left shifter and old front mech. These are not ideal but will get me started.
I would like to do this without changing too many parts, although I don't want to compromise shifting (particularly rear) at the expense of cost.

I realise this may have been covered elsewhere but anyone got any advice on parts, dos and don'ts, compatibility, ring sizes etc?

Regards Dave
fossala

Re: Double to Triple conversion

Post by fossala »

It's not cheap. You will need to change your chainset, shifters, front mech and possibly your chain. You could find it cheaper to sell your old groupset and buy a new triple groupset.
Hein

Post by Hein »

Isn't the S600 already a triple chainset?

Apart from that: The PG1030 is already giving you 327% gear ratio. Add a double chainset which fits your needs and you shold be set. Which size are the chainrings you currently use? Do you use the full range or do you miss a few low gears while you never use the highest gears?
pickerd1

Post by pickerd1 »

The S600 I have is a 2x10 (double). It looks like I could add another ring but it would come very close to the crank arm. I have seen triple versions on the web though.

I have played with chain ring / rear sprocket ratios quite a bit, but as yet I haven't been able to come up with everything I want. At present I have:
22 / 36 T chainrings
36, 32, 28, 25, 21, 19, 18, 17, 15, 13 T sprockets
The cassette is made up of part SRAM cogs, part miche. This seems to compromise shifting as the cogs and spacers appear to have slightly different dimensions. I will be attempting to use shims to sort this.
The set-up I have gives me the low ratio climbing I want and has a close set of ratios for flat (although a 32T would be better for this). This is however at the expense of higher ratios for fast flat and downhill riding.

Most of the triple chain sets I have seen on EBay are for 9 speed set-ups and I expect the rings are too wide for 10 speed. Would a 9 speed spider with 10 speed rings work?

Thanks