LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tobyj

LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

Post by tobyj »

I am thinking about buying the new B & M LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus. This looks like a great front light, to go with my Shimano dynohub. It is rated at 40 Lux.

Has anyone seen this light in operation - maybe at the Eurobike show in Cologne? It is already on the market in Switzerland, and Germany from next week. I guess in the UK, where I live,, in a few years! However, it is easy to get such lights on the internet.

Anyway, if i buy it, i'll bore you all about it in a few weeks time. 40 Lux is pretty bright..

It is listed in: http://bumm.de/index-e.html

If anyone is interested.

(I ride home on footpaths across fields here in Bath, so a good front light helps a lot!)
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

i was told it would be available in this country by the end of the month.
i'm hoping to get one as it's a lot more powerful than the dlumotec i use now.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I'm waiting for these to come out too. They look like just what I want without being too expensive if bought from Germany ( http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=7;p ... 8eb3d8ea39 )

Please bore us with your findings about them in full detail!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
RC

Post by RC »

They do look good. I received an e-mail yesterday from Bike24 saying another 2 weeks before they are in stock. Does any one have any info re. if they will fit on a bike with cantilever brakes?
tobyj

Post by tobyj »

Looks like you'll be OK with canti's from the pic, but you may have to fiddle a bit...

[/img][/img]
TrafficJan82

Post by TrafficJan82 »

Hi all,

I couldn't wait for the light to show up in UK stores, so I bought one from German ebay, had it shipped over, and it arrived yesterday. Just look for "iq fly" on ebay.de.

Impressions so far: brilliant, absolutely brilliant! Brighter than any light I've had before, it illuminates not just to the front of the bike, but also to the sides slightly. Definitely a lot brighter than the Topal Senso (Halogen) I had on there before - and no more changing lightbulbs!

Cantis...that's a difficult one. The mounting bracket doesn't extend very far forward, it's almost straight up, so you might be able to fit it between the frame and the cable of the brake, but you definitely won't be able to fit it in front of the brakes. Or, you mount it to the handlebars, that's what I did on my girlfriend's bike.

If you want more info, let me know!

jan
melw1

Post by melw1 »

Looks good. Can't find reference to 40 lux though - at least not the price for it. Also, do you run yours of a hub or a bottle dynamo? Is there much difference in brightness if you choose one over the other?
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

the 40 lux is mentioned,with photos, on the light page here http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html select catalogue headlights and lumotec iq fly
TrafficJan82

Post by TrafficJan82 »

melw1 wrote:Looks good. Can't find reference to 40 lux though - at least not the price for it. Also, do you run yours of a hub or a bottle dynamo? Is there much difference in brightness if you choose one over the other?

I run it on a SON hub dynamo, that's what the IQ Fly N is for (N for Nabendynamo, german for hub dynamo). There shouldn't be any difference in brightness though, as both hub and bottle dynamos produce 6W/3V of output. You can also run an IQ Fly N on a bottle dynamo, the only difference to the non-N version is an on/off switch on the light itself.
melw1

Post by melw1 »

Thanks for that - I've looked on the site quoted above but can only see the bit that says it will be available at 40 lux "this autumn" and then goes on to state spec of 20 lux underneath. Maybe I'm missing the plot?!?! :) I can find it online to buy at 20 lux but not 40.....

Maybe I'm being a bit thick!
TrafficJan82

Post by TrafficJan82 »

melw1 wrote:Thanks for that - I've looked on the site quoted above but can only see the bit that says it will be available at 40 lux "this autumn" and then goes on to state spec of 20 lux underneath. Maybe I'm missing the plot?!?! :) I can find it online to buy at 20 lux but not 40.....

I see your point: on the bottom it says "CAD aided reflector and transparent glass cover for optimum light generatio - up to 20 lux", but the German version of that page doesn't have that statement on there, it only talks about 40 Lux on the top.

Here's my theory: since that's the exact same it says on the Lumotec Fly (no IQ, the halogen one), Bush and Mueller got a bit lazy on the translation and copied the stuff from the Lumotec Fly page over, not correcting the type (generatio) and leaving the 20 Lux in there.

The IQ Fly definitely has an output of 40 Lux, but this is very unprofessional of BUMM...
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

TrafficJan82 wrote:
melw1 wrote:Thanks for that - I've looked on the site quoted above but can only see the bit that says it will be available at 40 lux "this autumn" and then goes on to state spec of 20 lux underneath. Maybe I'm missing the plot?!?! :) I can find it online to buy at 20 lux but not 40.....

I see your point: on the bottom it says "CAD aided reflector and transparent glass cover for optimum light generatio - up to 20 lux", but the German version of that page doesn't have that statement on there, it only talks about 40 Lux on the top.

Here's my theory: since that's the exact same it says on the Lumotec Fly (no IQ, the halogen one), Bush and Mueller got a bit lazy on the translation and copied the stuff from the Lumotec Fly page over, not correcting the type (generatio) and leaving the 20 Lux in there.

The IQ Fly definitely has an output of 40 Lux, but this is very unprofessional of BUMM...

thats what i think as well. but i've emailed b and m to ask for confirmation.
hope they have someone who can read and write in english! :D
TrafficJan82

Error on BUMM website

Post by TrafficJan82 »

I've just sent them an e-mail about the error, let's hope (in their own interest!) that they'll fix it.
Jan
TrafficJan82

Post by TrafficJan82 »

piedwagtail91 wrote:
TrafficJan82 wrote:

thats what i think as well. but i've emailed b and m to ask for confirmation.
hope they have someone who can read and write in english! :D

To be honest, I think their website is absolutely terrible, and the English version is even worse. They probably hired someone to do the translation for them, but it's a shame that a company making such great products has such a crap website.

I emailed them in German, if they don't get your message, they'll definitely understand mine. But the more people let them know, the better.

Maybe I should offer to do the translation for them? Hmmm...
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

just got this from b and m. think/hope they may update the website now!

"Excuse me, I learned some seconds ago from an other client that there is a fault in our writing. We copied the writing from our old Lumotec Fly and forgot to chance the Lux from 20 to 40.
You are right.
Best regards

R. M.
Busch & Mueller KG"

No, the writing says: the old Lumotec Fly is 20 lux, the new Lumotec IQ Fly is 40 lux.

Best regards

Dr. Rainer Mueller