LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tyrelever
Posts: 52
Joined: 31 Oct 2007, 3:11pm

Postby tyrelever » 18 Feb 2008, 10:27pm

I have to say what a light !!!!

I have now had mine for nearly a month and it is great.

Light output is fantastic ,the best being the fact that it achieves maximum brightness at very low speed.

The adjustable head is also very good,allowing instantaneous on-the-road alteration to the beam pattern.

Going to try the battery version next !!!!

User avatar
CJ
Posts: 3120
Joined: 15 Jan 2007, 9:55pm

Postby CJ » 19 Feb 2008, 10:32am

keithg wrote:Has anyone got a more elegant solution to mounting these with caliper brakes that doesn't involve too much mucking about with your front brakes.
I see Chris' solution is practical but the lights seem a little vulnerable there and I'd like a really robust mounting in front of the headset if possible.
I have Shimano 105 brakes, do I just need a longer central pivot bolt, are they available and where?
Cheers

According to this Shimano information there is only one length of front brake bolt, thicker fork crowns are catered for with longer nuts. The longest nut is 27mm, so if you have the shortest 10.5mm already, that'll probably let you have enough bolt sticking out the front to fit the lamp bracket, plus a thick enough spacer to get it clear of the headset.

Although looking at that exploded view, another wheeze occurs to me: to replace the side pivot bolt with a longer standard M6 bolt, plus a few washers to ensure the bracket clears the brake arm.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

T800
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Dec 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Guernsey

Postby T800 » 2 Mar 2008, 9:39pm

Fitted my new Fly IQ Senso Plus today, but it's killing the signal to my wireless Cat Eye Cordless 7 pooter. Grr!

Horrible rain hereabouts this evening, but the light is certainly a step up from the D'Lumotec Oval Senso it replaces.

I'll have to figure out something for the pooter, though. Anyone else had problems with it interfering with their computers?
So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.

Just a pic of my bike.

toontra
Posts: 746
Joined: 21 Dec 2007, 11:01am
Location: London

Postby toontra » 2 Mar 2008, 10:25pm

keithg wrote:Has anyone got a more elegant solution to mounting these with caliper brakes that doesn't involve too much mucking about with your front brakes.
I see Chris' solution is practical but the lights seem a little vulnerable there and I'd like a really robust mounting in front of the headset if possible.
I have Shimano 105 brakes, do I just need a longer central pivot bolt, are they available and where?
Cheers


You need one of these.

This replaces the nut going through from the back and gives plenty of extra mounting options both on the front and rear of the fork.

seumasl
Posts: 24
Joined: 29 Apr 2008, 3:44pm
Location: Near Woodstock Oxfordshire

Postby seumasl » 29 Apr 2008, 4:09pm

T800 wrote:Fitted my new Fly IQ Senso Plus today, but it's killing the signal to my wireless Cat Eye Cordless 7 pooter. Grr!

Horrible rain hereabouts this evening, but the light is certainly a step up from the D'Lumotec Oval Senso it replaces.

I'll have to figure out something for the pooter, though. Anyone else had problems with it interfering with their computers?


I phoned the importers of Cateye computers after buying a Blackburn Quadrant 3which I use on mainly on flash mode, he said that apart from the newer 2.4Gh ones all of their wireless computers succumb ot interference.
I asked "like what" he replied "like almost anything, even pedestrian crossings and mobile phones can interfere".
I binned the Cateye Micro and bought a wired VDO with altimeter, but that's another story.
Seumas

js
Posts: 13
Joined: 6 Aug 2007, 7:28pm

Re: LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

Postby js » 4 Jan 2010, 3:44pm

I purchased the IQ fly without any extra features and powered it from 4AA batteries. It is very bright though I would prefer a larger lens and more sideways light. The only fault I have found is that if you allow a plastic map holder to rest against the lens, the lens will get scratched. Apparently the lens is completely unprotected. I complained to the importers and got no satisfaction that they accepted that this was a problem or that they would do anything about it.
Incidentally I get much more battery life than I expected partly because the light is very bright even when the batteries are almost completely discharged.
Thanks to CREPELLO, james and Phil for the T-cut, Brasso and toothpaste tips below.
Last edited by js on 4 Feb 2010, 5:58pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
CREPELLO
Posts: 5558
Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 12:55am

Re: LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

Postby CREPELLO » 5 Jan 2010, 6:31pm

JS, you can remove scratches from hard plastic with T-cut and a bit of elbow grease.

james01
Posts: 2057
Joined: 6 Aug 2007, 4:48am

Re: LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

Postby james01 » 6 Jan 2010, 2:23pm

CREPELLO wrote:JS, you can remove scratches from hard plastic with T-cut and a bit of elbow grease.


Brasso metal polish does the job too.

User avatar
Phil_Lee
Posts: 726
Joined: 13 Jul 2008, 3:41am
Location: Cambs

Re: LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

Postby Phil_Lee » 10 Jan 2010, 2:27am

Or toothpaste. :D

james01
Posts: 2057
Joined: 6 Aug 2007, 4:48am

Re: LUMOTEC IQ Fly senso plus

Postby james01 » 10 Jan 2010, 3:39pm

Phil_Lee wrote:Or toothpaste. :D


:idea: Toothpaste is also very effective for cleaning whiteboards which have been written on with permanent marker in error.