SRAM Spectro S7 Clickbox problems

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
natmat

SRAM Spectro S7 Clickbox problems

Post by natmat »

I have a problem with my SRAM clickbox.

The gear cable to it is fine, but the click box appears a bit notchy and stiff, so stiff in places that it doesn't permit its internal hiddens spring to rotate it when the gear cable is relaxed. Consequently, the gears don't really work. The hub mechanism appears fine though.

Other than removal of the plastic window on top and black bit on top of the red 'rotor', nothing seems to come apart. Does anyone know if it does dismantle 'with force' perhaps? I'm guess a good clean would work, or maybe the internal spring has snapped/come adrift from its anchor point. I could of course buy a new assembly at around £30, but would like to try and repair this first if possible.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Nathan.
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Good luck getting it fixed.

If you don't manage it, I have an unused shifter/clickbox combo I'll let you have for 15 Quid.
swansonj

Post by swansonj »

It's a few years ago now and memory is fading, but I had a similar problem. I did manage to dismantle it but found nothing obvious wrong - the insides is all plastic-on-plastic bearings with, I vaguely remember, remains of some sort of white gunk lubricating (or not) it all. I cleaned it all and reassembled and it seemed to be a bit freer but I never managed to get it working really freely, and eventually (but largely for other reasons, to wit a disintegrated bottom bracket) I bought a Rohloff/Thorn.

I can't now judge exactly how free and easy the Sram was when it was new (15 years ago), but the Rohloff is definitely much crisper and easier to change than the 15-year-old SRAM.

Sorry that I can't now remember exactly how I dismantled it.
natmat

Post by natmat »

Thanks for the memory ;) At least now I'm tempted to have a go, but I fear it'll just be an exercise of looking, re-greasing and re-assembly as you did.

I' have thought that a £150 hub would at least have an all-metal gear-changer assembly... but obviously not. Makes the Shimano Nexus look good value and, having used one and been impressed with its operation, something I may well replace this one with.

However, if ThomasDylan responds to his PM I could have a new part to fit before too long and my problem will hopefully be solved.

Thomas, is your spare still up for offer?
TwoWheelsGood

Post by TwoWheelsGood »

Is the SRAM 7 speed hub generally speaking a reliable piece of kit? I get the impression from reading elsewhere that it's normally very reliable (and more so than the Shimano 7 speed hub). That clickbox is a slight worry but at least there's a metal guard provided to protect it from accidental knocks.
swansonj

Post by swansonj »

I had my SRAM 15 years or so. The cable broke once and I had to relace the whole cable-plus-click-box assembly (they changed the design and my original was the old one, where instead of a return spring in the click box, the cable pushed as well as pulled, but I replaced it with the new design where the cable pulls only and is a standard twisted wire and a return spring does the pulling).

Other than that, nothing actually went wrong. But towards the end, everything got a bit less precise than it had been. It got reluctant to do some of the changes - I opened the hub up and cleaned it, but the problem was slight wear on the arms of a spider, meaning things didn't slide along them as easily as they should have done, and regreasing both the hub and the click box helped but didn't eliminate the problem. You had to ease completely off and jiggle a bit to change, not every time but somethimes. That meant, for instance, you couldn't necessarilly guarantee at which point in the pedal revolution the change would actually occur.

But still, as I say, nothing actually broke, and it was still perfectly rideable. I was even sill using the original red plastic moulding, despite having been convinced it would get lost or broken at the frst roadside wheel removal.
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

natmat wrote:Thanks for the memory ;) At least now I'm tempted to have a go, but I fear it'll just be an exercise of looking, re-greasing and re-assembly as you did.

I' have thought that a £150 hub would at least have an all-metal gear-changer assembly... but obviously not. Makes the Shimano Nexus look good value and, having used one and been impressed with its operation, something I may well replace this one with.

However, if ThomasDylan responds to his PM I could have a new part to fit before too long and my problem will hopefully be solved.

Thomas, is your spare still up for offer?

I don't seem to have received your PM... I'll contact you via PM.

The shifter & clickbox are still available.

I don't want this to sound like I'm pushing the sale, but unless Shimano have GREATLY improved the Nexus since I had a very woolly one a few years ago, you will be disappointed if you switch to the Nexus. The Spectro is a classy bit of engineering and feels much better in operation compared to the Nexus, in my experience.
rwahmad

Re: SRAM Spectro S7 Clickbox problems

Post by rwahmad »

Dear Guys,
I have also some problem in Sram/sachs S7 gear hub, I hope if anybody can guide me.. Actually, I forgot to tight coaster break nut and it during riding disappread and hub itself opened apart and stucked. Later on I repaired it with the help of helper at students' cycle workshop at Uni, but now 4,5,6 and 7 gears are working but 3,2,1 gears do not work and became difficult as 5,6 or 7. There is nothing missing or broken inside. Just bigger boll carrier was a bit de-shapped and with hand push again was good in shap and fit.
Can someone guide me? further how important is or not mounting tool to use on planetary gear carrier? Can problem of 1-2-3 gear could be a result of not using mounting tool on planetary gear carrier?
any guidance would greatly appriciated.
Regards,
Waqar