5 speed chain?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bike-Rich

5 speed chain?

Post by Bike-Rich »

Hi all,

Got an old tourer a friend will be using soon, i'd like to replace the chain as it is very old but it is only a 5 speed. Any recomendations on a model chain to use?

Thanks,
Brucey

Re: 5 speed chain?

Post by Brucey »

any 7/8 speed chain will work OK. KMC ones seem OK for the money to me.

In general terms you often pay more for shiny links that don't actually make the chain last any longer, so fairly basic chain models are often the best value.

BTW if the freewheel is at all worn, any new chain will jump like crazy (under load) on the worn sprockets.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Thanks Bruce,
I was hoping to go KMC actually as I have plenty of them QuickLinks from my main bike.

Did a search for KMC 5-Speed though and it was saying it was suited mainly for single-speed. I never knew any 7/8 speed will work - will look out for this.

Just to confirm, the 5-speed the chain will be used on is very old (1980's) there should not be an issue with the thickness?

Thanks,
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the sprocket thickness of 5,6,7 speed cogs (and some but not all 8s) is the same at 2mm, so any chain for 7s will work just fine on any 5s freewheel, even though the sprocket spacing varies.

As long as the freewheel isn't worn....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

As Brucey says 7/8 speed chain should be fine. I use it on a 2X5 speed bike with Suntour cogs. I've used only SRAM on that bike (the original was Sedis), but you may find KMC last longer.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I've been running 90's five speed Sachs-Huret sprockets (identical to 6/7 speed sprockets) with SRAM and Wipperman 7/8 speed chains, no concerns.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade