Tifosi CK7...or something more expensive?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
trickeyja

Tifosi CK7...or something more expensive?

Postby trickeyja » 23 Jun 2014, 9:23pm

I'm strongly considering buying a Tifosi CK7 to replace my Specialized Allez Elite (2008) that is on its last legs.

I'm looking for something that is:
- quick when not loaded
- reasonably lightweight
- can take luggage for light touring
- comfortable over long distances

Having read good reviews on this website and elsewhere online, I went to FatBirds to look at the CK7 (£850), but unfortunately was not able to test ride it (my size wasn't in stock). Whilst there, the Lynskey Sportive 105 caught my eye, although at c.£2,250 it is way over my budget. It nevertheless got me wondering whether there are any bikes that would do all the things I have listed above a lot better than the CK7 if I were to stretch my budget by a few hundred pounds.

Are there any other lightweight touring/audax bikes you would recommend up to around £1,300? Or do you think I should go with the CK7?

I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this.

keithb

Re: Tifosi CK7...or something more expensive?

Postby keithb » 23 Jun 2014, 9:42pm

The dawes century or audax spring to mind... Trying to think of other mass produced bikes with long drop brakes... Some of the genesis models? Edinburgh bike co-op do am audax too...

niggle

Postby niggle » 23 Jun 2014, 11:46pm

Spa Cycles Steel Audax is well within your budget: £1100 in either Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex builds, or stretch to £1450 for the same in titanium: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p0

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 24 Jun 2014, 1:40am

niggle wrote:Spa Cycles Steel Audax is well within your budget: £1100 in either Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex builds, or stretch to £1450 for the same in titanium: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p0

+1 - or a "King of Mercia" :D ..........

BE1

Postby BE1 » 24 Jun 2014, 12:05pm

Many on here would argue that Spa have set the benchmark.

However, If you live "darrn Sarf" then this may be easier to get to to have a look at

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/41186/Pearson-Easy-Come-Easy-Go-17/

or this

http://www.condorcycles.com/Condor-Bikes/9457-Condor-Fratello-Frameset/flypage.tpl.html

niggle

Postby niggle » 24 Jun 2014, 4:39pm

The Pearson is 'only' Reynolds 631 and costs nearly as much as the built up Spa Ti. The Condor frame is a lot more expensive than the Spa steel frame- so is that Italian tubing any better than Reynolds 725?

If the Spa 725 steel frameset had been available when I was looking I would have gone for it in preference to the Genesis Equilibrium 725 frame that I bought.

In my opinion, FWIW, I think if the OPs budget could make the slight stretch to either of the build options of the Spa Ti it would be the best buy and a train ticket to Yorkshire would be a worthwhile investment.

trickeyja

Postby trickeyja » 24 Jun 2014, 5:09pm

Thanks very much for all your suggestions!

I'm interested in the Spa Cycles bikes, although surprised no-one has yet recommended that I stick with the CK7. Is the difference in performance/longevity likely to be significant if I did stretch to the upper end of budget vs the £850 for the CK7 Veloce?

I'm looking for something that isn't too sedate for short journeys but still comfortable over long distances.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 24 Jun 2014, 9:24pm

Looks an OK bike but it wouldn't suit me as it doesn't have low enough gears for me (I have a Dawes Century which is a triple). The Spa sounds great, you get a well designs frame with hand built wheels and sensible kit.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

PH

Postby PH » 24 Jun 2014, 9:53pm

Is this an only bike or is it going to fit in with others? There's quite a range between full on road bikes and tourers. The Tifosi is probably nearer the roadbike end than some of the steel suggestions, the Kenisis Racelight or Ribble Audax are a couple of it's natural competitors, the Ribble hasn't got the greatest of tyre clearance but is usually great value and you get to choose the build. Google for Winter Trainers will probably bring up a few other similar bikes. The Spa and SJS steel frames both look good, I have a similar steel bike, a SOMA ES, if I swap the wheels with my full on tourer there isn't much difference and the tourers better tyre clearance make it a far more versatile bike.
IME the two things that make a bike comfortable over distance is firstly fit and then tyre choice. I'm sure frame material plays a part, but not as great as some would have us believe. All the bikes mentioned will do what you ask, though not necessarily in that order, in the order you've listed them, the Tifosi or something similar looks a pretty good choice.
I'm strongly considering buying a Tifosi CK7 to replace my Specialized Allez Elite (2008) that is on its last legs.

How much on it's last legs? I've never had a bike where everything wore out at the same time. If you can salvage some parts from it and re use them it'd give you a bigger budget to spend where it could make a difference.

niggle

Postby niggle » 24 Jun 2014, 10:45pm

PH wrote:The Spa and SJS steel frames both look good, I have a similar steel bike, a SOMA ES, if I swap the wheels with my full on tourer there isn't much difference and the tourers better tyre clearance make it a far more versatile bike.

OTOH when I built my Genesis Equilibrium steel frame up with the parts from my old Specialized Allez Sport Triple, including wheels and tyres, it felt pretty similar, particularly in performance terms, but just a bit more comfortable. By comparison an alloy frame bike I own felt slow and stodgy, but still harsh, on 26x1.3" = 32mm tyres.

PH wrote:IME the two things that make a bike comfortable over distance is firstly fit and then tyre choice. I'm sure frame material plays a part, but not as great as some would have us believe. All the bikes mentioned will do what you ask, though not necessarily in that order, in the order you've listed them, the Tifosi or something similar looks a pretty good choice.

I agree re fit and tyre choice, but would not fancy the alloy bikes for long distance riding due to their limited clearance giving a maximum 25mm tyre size. Durability is suggested by others as an issue with alloy frames: I could not comment on that but I do think that steel has a slight but significant edge on comfort. Mind you with most of these bikes the most significant thing after tyre choice may well be the particular CF fork chosen to go with the frame (though the Thorn has a steel fork as standard I believe).

PH wrote:

How much on it's last legs? I've never had a bike where everything wore out at the same time. If you can salvage some parts from it and re use them it'd give you a bigger budget to spend where it could make a difference.

This is true, but obviously the frame does not quite fit the bill any more so maybe the OP should buy the best frame he can plus necessary parts replacements within budget.

trickeyja

Postby trickeyja » 25 Jun 2014, 9:26am

PH wrote:Is this an only bike or is it going to fit in with others?

The carbon seat stays are cracking and coming apart from the alloy frame at the join, and I've been advised to look for a new frame or a new bike because it's impossible to tell when it will fail.

I'm thinking of buying a new bike which will be my only bike initially...and then in a few months' time I might buy a relatively inexpensive frame and build it up using the parts from Specialized.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 25 Jun 2014, 12:15pm

Just didn't get here in time I would recommend the Tifosi CK7 whole heartedly. I have had one for the last 3 and bit years in which time it has covered just under 30,000 miles( will pass that milestone onthis weekends Audax). They really do tick all your boxes, Mine has a veloce groupset. I recently replaced the Khamsim wheelset. they are a great bike and fun to ride.
NUKe

trickeyja

Postby trickeyja » 25 Jun 2014, 5:40pm

NUKe wrote:Just didn't get here in time I would recommend the Tifosi CK7 whole heartedly. I have had one for the last 3 and bit years in which time it has covered just under 30,000 miles( will pass that milestone onthis weekends Audax). They really do tick all your boxes, Mine has a veloce groupset. I recently replaced the Khamsim wheelset. they are a great bike and fun to ride.

30,000 miles - impressive!
This sounds really positive. I've decided to order the large version for a test ride. If I like it I think I will stick with the CK7 as it seems good value.

Titanium would be great but on balance too expensive for me at the moment. Maybe something I can aspire towards in a few years...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)