Weight

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
samsbike

Re: Weight

Post by samsbike »

Just on the weight thing, I carried 4 bottles of beer in my saddlebag and the bike sure felt that little bit sluggish.

On the topic of forks I wonder how good the thorn steel disc fork is.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

samsbike wrote:Just on the weight thing, I carried 4 bottles of beer in my saddlebag and the bike sure felt that little bit sluggish.

On the topic of forks I wonder how good the thorn steel disc fork is.

Yer tinnies are high up innit & slosh motion adds to the unbalance a little bit too 8) , I carried 4x5 litres of veggie oil and 2x4pt milk & some lemon soles back from the shops last week, roughly 25kg net, so honking back up the hill (6%) made it a bit wobbly back end and a bugger on the quads in 36x19 :oops:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

samsbike wrote:Just on the weight thing, I carried 4 bottles of beer in my saddlebag and the bike sure felt that little bit sluggish.

I carried four bottles of beer somewhere else and I didn't feel a thing.... :oops: :roll: :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:I carried four bottles of beer somewhere else and I didn't feel a thing.... :oops: :roll: :wink:

cheers

But was it a bit wobbly back end? ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

As I try to think of all the options that might allow me to continue cycling, weight is obviously a factor. Not for the usual go faster/further, just "go". I live at the top of a hill and my every daily c.15 miles ends in "up". Other than move house, weight plus gearing will be the determinant.

It seems from the above that for a bike that will take 'grds and say 700x32s it will be nigh impossible to go lighter than my seriously and expensively up-graded Trex 7.5FX, which with 'grds comes in at c.20lbs. But running a road compact c'set means a bottom gear of c. 30" - an mtb triple will bring this down to c.20" and should give me another 6-9 mths of riding home! Some extra weight will probably be more than counterbalanced by lower gear. (A carbon 7.7 FX would give a further reduction if I swapped all my components over, but it does not have 'grd eyes.)

My 18lb carbon Planet X SL will run only 23mm (altho' full carbon and carbon seat post means comfort is fine with skinny tyres) and 'grds are a non-starter - I can't abide clip on Raceblades etc.

So, short of spending many '000s of £s, I have two more options to consider - a Brompton so that I can take a bus up the hill or an EAP - but the former are poor quality for the price IMO/E (and difficult to gear down) and the good pedelecs are silly money and very heavy.

"Light" can be of greater importance than simply gaining a few mph over a long ride - but whatever the motive, it sure don't come cheap!
Kenn

Post by Kenn »

There is a also an electric motor option from Vivax which might solve the hill problem and only weighs 1.8 Kg, including battery, but it costs an arm and a leg.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

That is neat - but over 2 grand is indeed a lot of cash! Thanks.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

DJN… how about some personal weight loss, every little helps.. :?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

al_yrpal wrote:DJN… how about some personal weight loss, every little helps.. :?

Al

A simplistic measure I know, but with a sub-20 BMI for ALL of my 66 years I am already really quite "light". Any weight loss now will simply be a signal that my demise will be here very soon!

PS Or to put it another way, it's not only the overweight who die!