co2 in tyres?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dachshund90

co2 in tyres?

Postby Dachshund90 » 6 Jul 2014, 8:59pm

Hello everyone

I have been reading that some people put co2 in their tyres

Is there any advantages of using this?

Many thanks in advance

[XAP]Bob

Re: co2 in tyres?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 6 Jul 2014, 11:22pm

It comes in small canisters for use at the roadside, but it leaks through rubber, so you really ought to deflate and use a track pump at home.

It is therefore quite wasteful, but given the number of fairy visits people have that might not be a significant concern - quite wasteful in cycling terms being less wasteful than many other activities.

Advantages: Convenience and speed of inflation on the road
Disadvantage: Tends to leak through the rubber
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 6 Jul 2014, 11:28pm

It's quick and easy to inflate a tyre using CO2 when out on the road, and a cylinder is smaller to carry than even a small pump.

The downside to using CO2 is that it leaks out of your tyres quite a lot faster than air, to the point where it's worth while letting the CO2 out and replacing it with track pump air after you get home. The cylinders also cost money, whilst pump air is free.

Valbrona

Postby Valbrona » 7 Jul 2014, 2:33am

And you can't take them on a plane, if you are planning to ride abroad.
I should coco.

Drake

Postby Drake » 7 Jul 2014, 5:52am

I've been thinking about getting a co2 pump for emergencies.
But after reading on this forum and others, about problems with co2 leaking, the question springs to mind . . why co2 ?
Obviously there must be practical reasons as to why, but not being chemistry minded i can't see them.
Couldn't another gas be used, or even just compressed air ?

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 7 Jul 2014, 7:11am

Drake wrote:I've been thinking about getting a co2 pump for emergencies.
But after reading on this forum and others, about problems with co2 leaking, the question springs to mind . . why co2 ?
Obviously there must be practical reasons as to why, but not being chemistry minded i can't see them.
Couldn't another gas be used, or even just compressed air ?

CO2 is the cheapest gas... Just air would end up with ice issues.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 7 Jul 2014, 7:27am

I would be a big fan of Helium. Great on the hills! :roll:

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 7 Jul 2014, 8:32am

mattsccm wrote:I would be a big fan of Helium. Great on the hills! :roll:

As a monatomic gas it would leak even faster....

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 7 Jul 2014, 10:43am

Drake wrote:But after reading on this forum and others, about problems with co2 leaking, the question springs to mind . . why co2 ?

The first gas inflators probably used Sparklets bulbs, which were available for soda syphons and home-brew keg pressurization.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 7 Jul 2014, 11:07am

Re an earlier comment on a co2 cylinders being smaller than a pump: only those with faith that they'll only get 1 (or 2) punctures on a single ride would NOT carry a pump as well.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 7 Jul 2014, 12:17pm

Dachshund90 wrote:Hello everyone

I have been reading that some people put co2 in their tyres

Is there any advantages of using this?

Many thanks in advance

It's only for emergencies when you get a flat tyre and want to pump it up super quickly. It's not suitable for long term use. Indeed if you pump up with CO2 on a ride you're supposed to fully deflate your tyres and refill with air when you get home.

easyroller

Postby easyroller » 7 Jul 2014, 1:03pm

You only use CO2 in an emergency roadside tyre inflation.

PROS: Super fast and easy inflation
CONS: Leaks out (need to re-inflate tyre the next day), arguably wasteful, expensive

I tend to only use it if I get a puncture when cycling with the faster group as it's much speedier to chuck in a new tube and gas it up than it is (for my skinny cyclist arms) to pump the tyre back to 100psi. That said, the only time I don't have a frame mounted pump is when I'm riding a time trial, then if I puncture it's pretty much all over so just carry the one gas canister.

bikes4two wrote:Re an earlier comment on a co2 cylinders being smaller than a pump: only those with faith that they'll only get 1 (or 2) punctures on a single ride would NOT carry a pump as well.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Jul 2014, 1:14pm

Dunno about other people, but I rarely get punctures. It's been months since I had one last.
March of this year. Before that it was July 2012.
(I keep records)

I take two CO2s and two tubes with me when out for the day. If I go away on a tour or somewhere, I'll take four tubes ...... and spare tyre ..... and a pump.
Mick F. Cornwall

Valbrona

Postby Valbrona » 7 Jul 2014, 6:44pm

Are all the canisters of the same capacity? And is it a case of using one and throwing it away, or do you like get 3 or 4 fills? If so, how do you know how much gas remains in the canister?
I should coco.

easyroller

Postby easyroller » 7 Jul 2014, 6:56pm

You only get one shot per canister. Usually get you up to 100+ psi on a skinny road tyre from a 16g cartridge.