Brooks Saddles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Neil

Brooks Saddles

Post by Neil »

Hi, as a slight continuation for a topic I've previously asked on Suspension Posts, I'm now moving my thinking onto saddles.

I'm thinking of a Brooks saddle, only been put of in the past by the thought of years of wearing it in. But oppinions now seem to suggest they break in very quickly.

I'm after a saddle basically for day and shorter rides. Gentle half day club runs out to the tea stop and back through to more more Audux style events, or shorter run out for an hour.

Think or talk of Brooks and immediately mentioned is the Standard B17, whats peoples oppinion of this over the B17 Narrow.

And how do people compair them for club runs against the more various sprug versions now offered: Flyer, Conquest, B33, 66, 67 and 72?

Or for this sort of bike/ride would most people stick to a more standard padded gel seat?

Its for a heavy rider to go on his Orbit Harrier. All suggestions and comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Re:Brooks Saddles

Post by Jon »

I've broken in two Brooks saddles. I'd say it takes me about 500 miles to initially break one in. But I think it depends on the rider - I find them fairly comfortable from new. I wouldn't go for a narrow model, but then I know I'm fairly broad in that department. I do favour a model with some rear springs though, but wouldn't bother with one of the three-spring monsters.
I think it is important to follow the maker's advice about the breaking in process, and don't be tempted to try any of the methods that are supposed to speed it up.
Brooks saddles do require maintaining (proofhiding and tensioning), unlike gel saddles, but I do find them much more comfortable than any gel saddle I've tried.
Pedalling Pete

Post by Pedalling Pete »

Try the Search facility, upper right, using Brooks as Keyword. That'll save me repeating my previous comments!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Neil,
I had been plagued by discomfort in the nether regions and had tried quite a dew saddles with no success. I very recently bought a Brooks B17 (champion special) and can put my hand on my heart and say that it was instantly far more comfortable than any other saddle I've ever used. It still can't possibly be broken in yet but is supremely comfortable and a lot cooler than a Gel saddle too. I can already say for certain that I would never use any other type of saddle on my touring bike and as soon as my precarious finances permit I will buy Brooks saddles for my other bikes too.
pied

Post by pied »

was recently given a b17 titanium by a clubmate and can honestly say it's the best saddle i've had.no problems from new and it's now just begining to take a more moulded shape so things can only get better- not that they need to.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thanks peddling pete and everyone else for your advice. I think its definately going to be a Brooks.

Been looking at the spring selection out there, its just everyone keeps harping on about the good old basic B17.

Decisions, decisions.......
tomjw

Post by tomjw »

I bought a standard B17 from the CTC shop. It was comfortable from new but now after 1500 miles it is really comfortable. Wouldn't buy anything else and it was inexpensive.
Petr

Post by Petr »

I've got three Brookes saddles. One is on a Brompton and is the same as a B17 Standard I think. I have another Standard on my tourer and a Narrow on my commuter. I find all three saddles are slightly different but both the Standard B17'sis more comfortable for me. I tend to sit fairly upright. Perhaps with more weight onthe hands the Narrow would be more comfortable.
chronyx

Re: Brooks Saddles

Post by chronyx »

Hello all,

I found this thread via Google so I may as well use an existing thread!

Are there any more Brooks/B17 annecdotes? I am very tempted to buy one.

Is a second-hand saddle worthwhile?
Father Jack

Post by Father Jack »

I've got three saddles. Brooks are so comfy, did 13 mile ride with stock saddle arrggh my buttock. Then went for 35 mile in a brand new Brooks saddle, wow, when I finished same feeling as when I started. Done 60 mile in one day, no problem at all when I got home.

got
B17
Team Pro
Swallow

Recommend B17 for fairly upright bikes ie hybrids and city bikes
Team Pro for drop tourers and probably cyclocross
Swallow for road bike

I'd only buy a second hand b17 if it's partially used. I've it's molded to that person, may be worse than a new one for you.

btw I've got B17 green, copper rails. May sell it off.
chronyx

Post by chronyx »

Thanks Father Jack. Would you class the SCR as drop-tourer?

Very tempted by the B17 at this stage - the weight of it does not fuss me at all as the SCR has (at minimum) a tool/puncture kit and water bottles in the MTX 'top-box' at all times anyway!
asterix

Post by asterix »

Have tried a lot of Brooks saddles, Swift, B17 narrow, two spring, 3 spring and have 4 B17s on my current bikes.

The 3-spring is the most comfortable but probably more suitable for a dutch upright or vintage motorcycle
I did 2 or 3 hundred miles on the Swift but had to sell it. Too small. I got more than I paid for it.
The B17 narrow was too narrow and I now use it on the Brommie
Two-spring saddles are ok but not much better than a Ti railed B17 and much heavier
Of the B17s I have 3 broken in - very comfortable - and one nearly so after not too many miles. All are on drop-bar bikes, audax and tourer.

I have tried other saddles but prefer Brooks.
Father Jack

Post by Father Jack »

Giant SCR? Road bike, so I'd go for Swallow or Swift
chronyx

Post by chronyx »

:D

----------------------------------------------------------
Products Ordered:
----------------------------------------------------------
1 Brooks England B17 STD Steel Saddle - Black
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

I've ridden a Brooks Conquest, Brooks Champion Flyer and a Brooks B67. Just the right amount of springing methinks for touring and commuting. However, you do have to carefully consider the width of your saddle for your riding position. The B67 is an upright saddle, I no longer use the Conquest, and I use the Flyer on my drop-handle-bar tourer.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com