Replacing internally-routed rear brake cables

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Replacing internally-routed rear brake cables

Postby Brucey » 1 Feb 2020, 2:27pm

mattheus wrote:Why has this 6-year-old topic been revived? Surely bikes aren't still being made with these daft things?!?

more than ever.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 1 Feb 2020, 3:29pm

Brucey wrote:
mattheus wrote:Why has this 6-year-old topic been revived? Surely bikes aren't still being made with these daft things?!?

more than ever.

cheers

Quite.

willcee

Postby willcee » 9 Feb 2020, 12:54pm

6 years ago they rattled and the general opinion is they still do and are blooming hard to quieten.. will

fausto99

Postby fausto99 » 9 Feb 2020, 9:34pm

willcee wrote:6 years ago they rattled and the general opinion is they still do and are blooming hard to quieten.. will

Light bulb moment!! Is that the noise I’ve been getting all this time?

fausto99

Postby fausto99 » 11 Feb 2020, 1:10pm

Going back to the OP, I used the cable tie trick successfully on my after-respray rebuild for the handlebar-stem combi internal cables but was unable to use the same trick for the brake cable in the top tube. The Pinarello DUE has 6mm dia holes but in a recess such that the face, that the ferrule bears on, is in a plane at right angles to the tube axis (too many words - see photo)

Instead, I superglued a 5/16" steel ball bearing to a piece of string and pull it along the inside of the tube using a 12mm dia neo magnet on the outside. I had a piece of paper between the magnet and the top tube to avoid scratching the fresh paintwork. There must be some bumps or other irregularities inside the tube which made me lose contact with the ball bearing, but I got round this by trying different paths until I succeeded.
However, when I got to the other end the magnet did not exert enough pull to get over the ledge around the hole, so I used a 25mm long stack of 3mm dia neo magnets poked down the hole to fish the bearing over the last bit.